Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:52 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Often it is $$$ INHERITANCE $$$ ...

... but sometimes it's a combination of deceit, fraud, graft, insider trading, nepotism, embezzlement, and downright theft.

Capiche?
Don't fall into the inheritance argument. While you may be right, all too often many cannot comprehend that the problem is that inheritances is becoming increasingly common, and will point to old studies showing the inheritance rates, and with unclear specifications of what a inheritances requires to be significant. It ends up being a fragmented argument, with one side pointing to how things were, and the other pointing to how things are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 11:06 PM

756 posts, read 424,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Those dam 1%rs!

"So by global standards, America’s middle class is also really, really rich. To make it into the richest 1 percent globally, all you need is an income of around $34,000, according to World Bank economist Branko Milanovic. The average family in the United States has more than three times the income of those living in poverty in America, and nearly 50 times that of the world’s poorest. Many of America’s 99 percenters, and the West’s, are really 1 percenters on a global level."

I raised an argument in another thread with the same quote you've posted above and it bears repeating here..

If you think that America's 1% should be taxed higher to make up the unfair gap between them and the rest of us, YOU should be personally willing to take the same percentage of your income and donate it to the third world since globally WE are the 1% !!

Whatever the difference is between what you pay in taxes now and what you want the 1%'ers to pay is what you should be giving to others.

Now, I am aware that we do not have a global tax so I'm just asking you to not be hypocritical and do it on principle. If you think the 1% in this country should get taxed higher and spread it around, so should YOU!!

Suddenly it's a different ballgame now, isn't it?

Old 12-06-2015, 11:11 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,952,148 times
This reminds me of how Bush/Rove were able to convince GOPers that the Estate Tax needed to be lifted, then they set the exemption at such a high level it does t even matter anymore...

It's as if not only are people amassing excessive amounts of wealth (while so many suffer) but they're doing it and getting those suffering people to get behind those initiatives to ease a tax burden that only wealthy interhitees are receiving. Remember it's an unfair double tax? Jokes on us...

Old 12-06-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I raised an argument in another thread with the same quote you've posted above and it bears repeating here..

If you think that America's 1% should be taxed higher to make up the unfair gap between them and the rest of us, YOU should be personally willing to take the same percentage of your income and donate it to the third world since globally WE are the 1% !!

Whatever the difference is between what you pay in taxes now and what you want the 1%'ers to pay is what you should be giving to others.

Now, I am aware that we do not have a global tax so I'm just asking you to not be hypocritical and do it on principle. If you think the 1% in this country should get taxed higher and spread it around, so should YOU!!

Suddenly it's a different ballgame now, isn't it?
Make me a 1%'er and I have no trouble paying a far far higher tax rate.

When you have that much income, thats when its a different ballgame. Not when you talk to people who have $5/month left as their disposable income-and you start talking about that $5. 400,000/yr is what it takes to hit that 1% mark by the way.

But all too often people discuss the 1% when they really mean the .1%

Or in this case....the 20 richest folks. Know what would happen if these people dropped $5? It literally would not be worth their time to pick it up. But you, you want to talk to that guy with the $5, and say "They're coming for your five bucks!".

Old 12-06-2015, 11:50 PM

16,538 posts, read 8,579,208 times
Quote:
Once upon a time there was something called "The Gilded Age" here in America. The term was coined by Mark Twain and it referred roughly to the time period between 1870 and 1900. It was a time when a small number of American families lived in ostentatious opulent splendor - enormous palaces with many servants, bedecked with fabulous jewels, throwing sumptuous parties for their pets, buying European royal titles ... and paying no taxes. It was also a time when millions of working Americans were crowded into tenements, tiny rowhouses, sharing rooming-houses, or living in basements or attics of their employers. They had no health insurance or paid vacations.

It was not a good time for most people.

Your point related to the OP's theme is what

Old 12-07-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Your point related to the OP's theme is what
That the extreme inequalities of today as demonstrated by the 20 Americans vs the 50%, are a good example of what makes this a gilded age as history has shown us before. And it sucked then, it sucks now.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:51 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
[quote=greywar;42193623]That the extreme inequalities of today as demonstrated by the 20 Americans vs the 50%, are a good example of what makes this a gilded age as history has shown us before. And it sucked then, it

I will paraphrase; captalism is the unequal gain of wealth while fairness is the equal sharing of misery.

I will keep as much of my money and pay the least in taxes as possible and if some deadbeat suffers from that it's not my problem.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:11 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Then quit buying the stuff these 20 people sell.
I've said the same thing. If the whiners are buying the rich's products/services, they're part of the problem and only have themselves to blame that such persons profit.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
But additionally, more and more of the people at the top are there due to inheritance.
Actually, the opposite is true.

More Self-Made Billionaires Than Ever

Has detailed info, and explains methodology.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:21 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,439,195 times
Quote:
Often it is $$$ INHERITANCE $$$ ...

... but sometimes it's a combination of deceit, fraud, graft, insider trading, nepotism, embezzlement, and downright theft.

Capiche?
Like our politicians do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies