Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 12:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, all you have to do is convince those who earn less than top incomes that they shouldn't expect to be able to buy the electronic gizmos and conveniences that the top earners can easily afford. It's all a matter of living within one's means. Duh. How is that a problem? /SMH

I'm okay with that. I didn't have a PC until 1992, didn't have a cell phone until 2007, have a prepaid phone today, and still don't have a smartphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 12:14 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How many of them made bad investments and wanted you to bail them out of those investments?
All the homeowners behind the ~$2 Trillion worth of GSE MBS the Federal Reserve owns because that ~$2 Trillion expense was added to the national debt owed by us all.

I'll elaborate, if you wish...

Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
So.... why don't they pay higher taxes? Why do both take steps to avoid taxation?

Maybe because they want more of their money to be used to buy laptop computers for underprivileged children rather than to build Poseidon Class submarines for the U.S. Navy?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
She was, in fact it was a popular idea back then, so that was not unusual.
Still is now. Look at current abortion statistics...

Blacks: 13.2% of the population, but 37% of abortions.

QuickFacts

Reported Legal Abortions by Race of Woman Who Obtained Abortion by the State of Occurrence | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 12-08-2015, 12:22 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We do. Financial literacy is integrated into K-12 Math classes (state dependent curriculum) and also classes in HS.

In Texas 6th graders have to learn and understand credit reports and how to estimate lifetime earnings.
IMHO that's too deep for 11 and 12 year olds but TPTB in the Ivory Tower decided that's best for them.
Nope. Your state might-and congrats on having some adults running the show for that, but mine, and two others I have experience in-which is decidedly a tiny % of the states....don't. Its a elective that has too few teachers. And the elective class...well as a kid it seemed great, as a adult I know how wrong some things were taught. Not that the facts were wrong, but rather the lack of information in so many important things. And I am not talking conservative/liberal argument type nonsense, just things like understanding a stock position. Splits/poison pills/types of stock etc etc.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Still is now. Look at current abortion statistics...

Blacks: 13.2% of the population, but 37% of abortions.

QuickFacts

Reported Legal Abortions by Race of Woman Who Obtained Abortion by the State of Occurrence | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Wow, what an amazing job at trying to derail this into a abortion eugenics argument.
Why do you find discussing inequality to be such a bad thing that you go to such lengths to try and stop the conversation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've never seen a low-income mass transit rate; e.g. no lower rates for burger flippers, unemployed, or part-time workers. Discounted disabled/elderly/youth rates are standard.

Standard adult monthly rate here is $100.
You're living in the wrong locale, and several people have told you so. Chicago has cheaper rooms for rent and discounted mass transit rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm okay with that. I didn't have a PC until 1992, didn't have a cell phone until 2007, have a prepaid phone today, and still don't have a smartphone.
You don't have to justify yourself to him. This myth that we are jealous of the 1% is pure smoke-screen for the FACT that it is the middle 50% that are jealous of the 1%. It kills them that they can't live like that so they want anyone at 30% and below to live like gypsies so they can feel better about themselves. I don't know about you but those Gypsies know how to live. My friends pay $800/mo. in health insurance that they never use. Don't dare use, because the deductible is $10K. I'm not poor. They are.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ah such a misdirection.
No misdirection. At all. Simply... DO NOT LIVE BEYOND YOUR MEANS.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
You're living in the wrong locale, and several people have told you so. Chicago has cheaper rooms for rent and discounted mass transit rates.
NYC has discounted mass transit rates too. For every 10 trips you get one free... ... first, that is hardly any endorsement, and second, for what the MTA offers, FREE is actually the perfect price for the service. And it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies