Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 12:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No misdirection. At all. Simply... DO NOT LIVE BEYOND YOUR MEANS.
Excuse me, you do not know what my means are. Nor anyone else you see blinging out in the mall. If the card swipe is successful and the merchant (and customer) is happy, WHY DO YOU CARE?! Isn't the object lesson of this thread that we should not care if the very wealthy are very wealthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 12:33 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm okay with that. I didn't have a PC until 1992, didn't have a cell phone until 2007, have a prepaid phone today, and still don't have a smartphone.
The rent you've posted you're paying is beyond your means. You're a net loser of wealth, not a net gainer of wealth.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Maybe because they want more of their money to be used to buy laptop computers for underprivileged children rather than to build Poseidon Class submarines for the U.S. Navy?
I actually like that concept. Why can't we ALL choose where our taxes apply?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Wow, what an amazing job at trying to derail this into a abortion eugenics argument.
Why do you find discussing inequality to be such a bad thing that you go to such lengths to try and stop the conversation?
Defund PP. Your problem with this issue solved.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Excuse me, you do not know what my means are.
Doesn't matter. You should never live beyond them. That's how "the rich" acquire wealth.

The Millionaire Next Door

Add that to your reading list.

Quote:
The rent you've posted you're paying is beyond your means. You're a net loser of wealth, not a net gainer of wealth.
You are really beyond the pale, is my rent beyond my means too? I don't believe that poster owns a car. Nor do I. That puts $500 to $1000 every month back in our budget that can be used to rent a nicer apartment than might otherwise be the case if we were nursing some bottom end American car along to fit in.

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
I actually like that concept. Why can't we ALL choose where our taxes apply?
Agreed!
But I'd also like funding choices to be voted on. IE "Request to add ACA to budget", "Request to add socialized healthcare to budget"

Can you imagine where NASA would be by now?

Old 12-08-2015, 12:41 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
You are really beyond the pale, is my rent beyond my means too? I don't believe that poster owns a car. Nor do I. That puts $500 to $1000 every month back in our budget that can be used to rent a nicer apartment than might otherwise be the case if we were nursing some bottom end American car along to fit in.
When changing the topic didnt work, he is now trying to get the tread locked via making it personal between folks. Not enough to get banned, but just enough to get the thread locked.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. You should never live beyond them. That's how "the rich" acquire wealth.

The Millionaire Next Door

Add that to your reading list.
I don't have to. Did it work for you? I thought not. The ONLY exceptions to the very true saying that "wealthy people come from wealthy people", are Sports and Entertainment wonders, and niche exceptions that are literally one in a million. That is why neither you, nor I, nor anyone in all of City-Data is a billionaire. So relax a little. Buy something frivolous today. Surprise the wife with a nice meal out. It's ok, really it is.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:01 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,348 times
Quote:
You're nothing special. My parents came here from the Caribbean and worked their butts off. They spoke English but assimilation was impossible. They lived in the slums because it didn't matter how wealthy a black family was in 1950, you lived in the slums. You don't say what year your fairy story comes from so it is meaningless. My parents sent money back home and saved everything else. Passbook savings rates were 13%. A 30 year CD was 20%. They are millionaires today in their 90's, not many black people live to 85 let alone get over 90. They are millionaires even though neither of them ever made more than $30K/yr. I have inherited every good quality of self-discipline, intelligence and work ethic that they possess and I have earned a lot more than $30K/yr but not even close to six figures. My wife and I applied for the same job. We have similar skill-sets. I have a lot more work history because she is disabled (she doesn't need help, just a job, like you... or me). I was offered $35K/yr and she was offered $90K/yr. I am not likely to become a millionaire. Since we are having a discussion in 2015 and not in 1915, shouldn't our comments reflect realities on the ground today, and not once ago? Is that really too much to ask?
We immigrated here in 2000, please continue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies