Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2015, 11:49 AM

20,721 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
...according to the media? Is it because we are a supposedly "christian nation" and need someone else to look down on to justify ourselves?

Christians are not always the Good Guys with white hats. A terrorist is a terrorist.

Christian Terrorism
Well no Christianity does not make a society immune to "terror". However the ideolgogy does need significant modification to make it fit which is why the Christian identify movement was created. Bible based Christianity must be adulterated with violence , while Islam fundamentalism needs to be adultrated with non violence. Obviously extra biblical sources means all bets are off.

Christian Identity

Who would blow up a building?

Jesus?
Gandhi?
Muhammad?
Attila?

Pick any two ....

Now what if someone decided to kill for
Gandhi? That's Gandhi?

Old 12-07-2015, 11:52 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Money, money, money

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I'm not trying to make a case that Hindus (or Sikhs) are pure as the driven snow. Just that Pakistani Muslims and Indian Hindus would seem to have similar motivation to attack the west but I am unaware of any terrorist attacks carried out by Hindus in the U.S.
If Hindus from India were going to attack anyone in the West, it would most likely be UK & then Portugal. Those were the colonizing powers that hung on, UK the longest. TMK, India doesn't have a long-standing beef with the US, other than that we poured money, material, political clout down the rat hole in Pakistan in order to transship across Pakistani territory, & we had ISI handing out material & money on our (& other donors') behalf in Afghanistan - a mistake, as it turns out. Pakistan & ISI were playing their own game, looking to cultivate friendly terrorists & the use of Afghanistan territory for defense in depth, for when everything goes south in their next war with India.

Pakistan is in desperate need of money, to afford more ill-considered material & personnel for their laughably ineffective military. & to prop up their so-called government. Thus they'll sell their nuclear expertise - centrifuges, bomb design, missile design - to anyone who has the cash.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:06 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Ok so I read the entire thread & had planned on quoting a few comments, but there are too many with which I have questions or contradiction. So I will just ask/comment & hope someone can clarify or give me their opinion.

Above someone mentioned how many different denominations exist under the giant umbrella of Christianity. In addition to that are the numerous translations and interpretations of the Bible. So if it's possible to be a Christian terrorist, there must be one or more sect of Christianity that espouses violence against nonbelievers? I'm no bible scholar, but any violence I recall from the bible was detailed as a historical event - not a way of life and of faith.

And yet, there is only ONE Koran, even if it is spelled Quran or Q'uran. ..the contents inside any of them are all the same. I used to be very good friends with a Muslim from Morocco. We had many what I thought were very good conversations about Islam. Two years ago, he left the states to make his hajj - his pilgrimage to Mecca. He came back with souvenirs for me: deer musk; a prayer rug; a scarf; and my very own copy of the Koran (yay).

I still have not read all of it yet, and don't plan to. But I have searched out specific passages & asked him about them. Yes, getting killed while upholding the word of Mohammed does promise 72 virgins. Yes, women are 100% subservient in every aspect; although my (former) friend defended this by saying all Muslim men worship women and therefore must protect them no matter what. Like beating them if they try to teach in any form, or cutting off their hand if they are observed performing any task that only men are allowed to perform. That's just a small sampling of what is in this book. I asked him, "are you absolutely certain there are no other versions of the Koran? " Yes, he said, there is only one version and I am holding it. Can you defend or justify the grisly things a devout Muslim is called to do, I asked him. No he could not. He tried, but failed miserably. How can the Koran call for the beating of a woman if she's caught performing a man's duty...yet modern day Muslim women are waging jihad right next to their husbands or brothers?

Finally, I asked him - you are a citizen of the United States (supposedly) - would you defend your new (3+ years) country if called to do so? Yes he said. What about your faith - what if it contradicts the above? He said, if called to jihad, he has no choice - he must and will go. He said it is NOT open to interpretation, it is clear and distinct. We have not spoken since.

So I ask: if there is only one true Koran, and devout Muslims follow it, then are peaceful Muslims in the wrong according to their holy book? Or are "radical Islamists" interpreting that same holy book the ones who are wrong? I'm beginning to think the peace loving Muslims are reading the same words the jihadists are...and that they live in fear daily that they will be called to act accordingly.

In the past few weeks, I've seen a few leaders from Muslim communities speak out against Islamic terrorism; and have seen the video in which young Muslims say, "not in my name". I wonder if this has put a price on their head.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
There are plenty of Christian terrorist groups at home and abroad (The Army of God, Lord's Resistance Army, NLF of Tripura, Antibalaka, etc.).

They're not as prolific as Islamic extremists in the amount of mayhem they cause, but they're out there.

Funny, I just read an article from a right-wing nut job who claims Christians have committed ZERO acts of terrorism in recent years. How naive can a human being be?

Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
There are plenty of Christian terrorist groups at home and abroad (The Army of God, Lord's Resistance Army, NLF of Tripura, Antibalaka, etc.).

They're not as prolific as Islamic extremists in the amount of mayhem they cause, but they're out there.

Funny, I just read an article from a right-wing nut job who claims Christians have committed ZERO acts of terrorism in recent years. How naive can a human being be?
I don't believe there are any christian terrorist groups on par with ISIS to conquer the world and have everyone convert.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:24 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Not only were the San Bernadino killers Muslims, the guy described himself as "very liberal."
He described himself as liberal within the context of an Arab dating website.
He was not looking for Kim Kadashian. He wanted a woman who wore the hiijab.

Instead, his wife wore the burqa. Family, neighbors and mosque members all claim they had no idea what she looked like, given her attire. She also reportedly did not speak to men, hold a job or drive.

"Liberal" means not being a wife beater without provacation, in some cultures

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 12-07-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 12:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
He described himself as liberal within the context of an Arab dating website.
He was not looking for Kim Kadashian. He wanted a woman who wore the hiijab.

Instead, his wife wore the burqa. Family, neighbors and mosque members all claim they had no idea what she looked like, given her attire. She also reportedly did not speak to men, held a job or drove.

"Liberal" means not being a wife beater without provacation, in some cultures
From accounts only after she came here to the US.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:35 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That specific belief being that the British had no right to take Northern Ireland.
And force their Religious beliefs on them, now it is correct.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:37 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The big debate on mass shooters used to be if they were Democrat or Republicsn.

With terrorism now among us it looks like it's changed to what religion they were.
Now it's "well he was a Christian".
Maybe we should just stop using labels and call those that commit mass shooting what they are Murderers.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:42 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
McVeigh lived with the white supremacist, fundie Christian group, the Church of Israel before he went to do the bombing.
Pretty much summed that one up. When you hang with them; the you are.Hanging out and living with a group of extremists by choice and not birth. He was a Christian Terrorist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies