Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more unconstitutional?
option 1 114 83.21%
option 2 23 16.79%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
1)Restrictions on firearm ownership, on the sale of firearms, and on the purchase of firearms

2)Immigration and tourist visa restrictions based on religion or any other criteria (such as country of origin).

Any aspect of the Constitution is pretty much cut and dry when taking in the fact it was written for "We, the people". One would need to be a citizen first and foremost.
#1 is enumerated. #2 doesn't apply to non citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 09:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Any aspect of the Constitution is pretty much cut and dry when taking in the fact it was written for "We, the people". One would need to be a citizen first and foremost.
#1 is enumerated. #2 doesn't apply to non citizens.
actually it applies to non citizens in this country. however it does not apply to anyone outside the US, even citizens.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:36 AM

699 posts, read 610,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually it applies to non citizens in this country. however it does not apply to anyone outside the US, even citizens.
That's really debatable. When the founding fathers wrote it, it didn't apply to slaves or native americans. And everyone understood it that way. So it wasn't initially intended to apply to anyone residing in the USA, but people who had citizenship.

With the 14th amendment, equal protection and all that, it's still not clear if it applies to non citizens. You guys have to be specific when you throw out these statements as if they are fact instead of guesses.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:02 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
It's really simple, folks.

Keep Muslims -- whose religion tells them to kill or oppress us -- out of this country.

Arguing about the Constitution is fun.

But it's beside the point when dealing with a mortal enemy -- which is what Islam is to all non-Muslims.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:29 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
1)Restrictions on firearm ownership, on the sale of firearms, and on the purchase of firearms

2)Immigration and tourist visa restrictions based on religion or any other criteria (such as country of origin).
Neither violates the Constitution.

There can be reasonable restrictions on firearms ( reasonable is a relative term though ).... There always has been. Laws banning felons or the mentally ill are reasonable restrictions on the sale and ownership of firearms.

and as far as religious tests on immigration? The Constitution doesn't apply to people who are not citizens. That's not to say that I think that idiot Donald Trump has a good idea, it's just to say that it would be legally feasible.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:58 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
It's really simple, folks.

Keep Muslims -- whose religion tells them to kill or oppress us -- out of this country.

Arguing about the Constitution is fun.

But it's beside the point when dealing with a mortal enemy -- which is what Islam is to all non-Muslims.
I find it very interesting how this whole "ISIS" thing has opened the doors for people to be blatantly bigoted and not feel the least bit of shame about it. It seems cathartic for a lot of y'all.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:04 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:

The constitution does not address #2. The first federal immigration law was passed in 1875 and restricted immigration from China.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Which violates the spirit of the constitution more

Fact: they both do

Opinion: one is worse than the other

Old 12-09-2015, 08:11 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Why would anyone from outside the country have any constitutional right to come in the first place? From my standpoint, who we allow in is entirely discretionary.
((((((((((((((((((((BOOOOOM))))))))))))))))))))

Dropping knowledge on all our asses.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
I would like the people who screaming and crying about Trump's comments to weigh in here, please.
Absolutely.

Arguments about gun control in this country are pointless. The decision that we would be an armed society was made at this nation's inception. At this point there are more guns in this country than there are people, and it is a logistical impossibility to try to take away those guns. Moreover, the vast majority of gun owners are law-abiding citizens who have legitimate reasons to own guns beyond gun ownership being a Constitutional right. Identifying criminals and disarming them is the gun control I support.

As for prevention of mass killings, if you look at the mass killings that have happened over the past decades, it seems to me that the gun control measures that are proposed would have little impact. While mental health issues certainly have played a role in some of these mass killings, even gun control measures to keep people with mental health issues pose a slippery slope. If a person has no history of violence, and their mental health issues are such that can be dealt with through therapy and medication, can we reasonably abridge their rights? And can we make their therapy and medication part of the public record? Freedom can not exist without privacy, if you start taking away people's privacy, people who've committed no crimes, you take away their freedom. Is that the kind of society we want? I don't.

I accept that we live in an armed society. I accept that we live in a dangerous world. I accept that in order to protect ourselves, that we place certain restrictions on our freedoms. I think that the debate centers on where we draw the lines. How restrictive are we willing to be? And when we place those restrictions, how effective will those restrictions be? Because if we give up the principles of freedom for the illusion of security, we are simply giving in to fear.

In terms of gun control, again, identifying criminals and disarming those criminals is a control I support. I can even support restricting gun ownership from people who have mental health issues AND a history of violence. But every incursion on freedom should have a sound foundation of being a significant and effective method of risk control. Many of the proposed gun control measures don't seem to me to meet this standard. And the bans against Islam also don't meet this standard.

I believe that in our world today we will always have tragedies, and that some of those tragedies will be perpetrated by our fellow man, for whatever misguided reasons. I also believe that freedom is worth it. I think that most human beings value freedom over security, simply because if we look at our history, our heroes are the people who sacrificed security for freedom. Freedom doesn't come without risk and cost. But ultimately, the terrorists who see Americans as the enemy also see freedom as the enemy. What they do when they win tells us that, as they deny the people they control any freedom, and as they try to wipe out any history or any evidence that life can thrive in an atmosphere of freedom and self-expression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies