Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 03:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Nope ... It takes more to amend the constitution. In fact it is basically insurmountable.
In theory maybe, but in practice, Chris is right...

All that has to happen is for Hillary Clinton to win the White House, appoint ONE Liberal Supreme Court justice, ( the next president will likely get 3 ) and they can take a case involving guns or gun ownership, overturn Heller, and effectively "interpret" the 2nd Amendment right out of the Constitution. Don't think it can't ( or won't ) happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
As to all those talking insurrection, there's absolutely no reason whatever to even consider such a thing. There have been much darker times in the past. You take the good with the bad. It's all a cycle.
I agree and as I stated earlier, as long as there's law and order, there will never be any reason for insurrection. But you apparently look at the universe as a static state, never changing, and that's a break from reality.

The world today is not the world of 100 years from now. When we have presidential candidates exploiting the fear of citizens by proposing special databases or ID's for people of a particular religion, or when they suggest banning people from that religion from coming to this country entirely, one has to wonder just how fast it could all spiral out of control. Just think about this; we aren't even a generation passed an era where Japanese-Americans were rounded up and placed in internment camps because of their race. The world isn't as "civilized" as people want to believe.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-11-2015 at 04:13 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 04:10 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I agree and as I stated earlier, as long as there's law and order, there will never be any reason for insurrection. But you apparently look at the universe as a static state, never changing, and that's a break from reality.

The world today is not the world of 100 years from now.
Nor the world of 200 years ago...

Old 12-11-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Nor the world of 200 years ago...
So change the Constitution then if you think it's outdated. The Founders didn't saddle us with their ideas for eternity, they knew they were fallible men and that times would change and so they gave us a way to change things in the document.

What you can't do, is just decide, "oh, were no longer going to honor that part of the Constitution, just ignore it"...

Also, I edited the post you were replying to, to include the following...

"""When we have presidential candidates exploiting the fear of citizens by proposing special databases or ID's for people of a particular religion, or when they suggest banning people from that religion from coming to this country entirely, one has to wonder just how fast it could all spiral out of control. Just think about this; we aren't even a generation passed an era where Japanese-Americans were rounded up and placed in internment camps because of their race. The world isn't as "civilized" as people want to believe."""

Don't think that there will never be a time that the government could turn on it's people. The people who make up our government are just as fallible as those who created it.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
What's your point, Sport? Was that 3% armed or unarmed? They were armed weren't they? Perhaps you should reread my post and consider the 10% holding all the guns could be our new government....
Never mind, I must have mistook your point of view. I thought you were saying that the 90% would over power the 10%

Old 12-11-2015, 04:25 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
First off, I am pretty non-confrontational. I believe in getting along just for the sake of getting along. Aimgenerally keep my opinions to myself in terms of politics, religion etc. but occasionally I will go on the offensive if I notice someone is being arrogant. Ignorant, etc.

had drink after work today with a friend and his cousin. I have pretty conservative beliefs (which to me, are common sense beliefs) but I have 1 or 2 liberal beliefs also. Here is a basic transcript of the argument:

Cousin: These guns are just so dangerous, they need to just confiscate all of them and ban them in this country.

Me: Dude, that's ridiculous. because murdered exist, everyone should have their rights trampled on? Are you familiar with the reasons the 2nd amendment was created?

Cousin: Yeah, yeah whatever. it was written by a bunch if dead old white men who didn't understand what the future would have in store.

Me: Again I'll ask you, do you know why the 2nd amendment was written?

Cousin: Because there were no cops so people had to police themselves

Me: No. It was to keep government in check and give ordinary citizens a way of arming themselves against future government tyranny. Nations work in cycles, sooner or later they all fall to tyranny. The founding fathers knew history well, and wanted a way for Americans to protect their liberties.

Cousin: LOL There's no way in hell ordinary people could defeat the U.S. military with bombs, heavy machine guns, and tanks.

Me: are you serious right now? Have you never heard of the Vietnam War? You act like a rebellion would be fought in an open field. When was the last time a battle was fought like that? It would be a guerilla war, mostly fought in cities where air superiority would mean nothing. Also, an army would need to be deployed and there are 350 million Americans. Ordinary rebels would hide in the shadows and fight a guerilla war. All those bombs and fighter jets would be for nothing. It's laughable that you cannot see this.

That was the gist of it. We didn't get along well. We agreed on nothing. like I said, I normally just ignore Liberals in person.

Sounds to me like he was making a bunch of assumptions and was pretty ignorant.

His biggest incorrect assumption is that our military would as a whole turn on it's own citizens. Sure there would be some, but many if not most would refuse to carry out un-Constitutional orders from a POTUS. So an armed citizenry would be needed to thwart the initial onslaught by those who were duped into, or blindly followed orders to attack.

`

Old 12-11-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Sounds to me like he was making a bunch of assumptions and was pretty ignorant.

His biggest incorrect assumption is that our military would as a whole turn on it's own citizens. Sure there would be some, but many if not most would refuse to carry out un-Constitutional orders from a POTUS. So an armed citizenry would be needed to thwart the initial onslaught by those who were duped into, or blindly followed orders to attack.

`
You assume that most people aren't just mindless drones who blindly follow orders. I never thought that we'd be seriously floating the idea of banning people from an entire religion from coming here either, but that's happening, and a good sum of GOP voters actually support it, which basically legitimizes the idea and moves it from being the mindless ramblings of an extremist in to the realm of possibility.

You'd be amazed what things like "fear" can motivate people to do that otherwise wouldn't ordinarily be possible.

Never let a tragedy go to waste, they say.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:25 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,999,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So change the Constitution then if you think it's outdated. The Founders didn't saddle us with their ideas for eternity, they knew they were fallible men and that times would change and so they gave us a way to change things in the document.

What you can't do, is just decide, "oh, were no longer going to honor that part of the Constitution, just ignore it"...

Also, I edited the post you were replying to, to include the following...

"""When we have presidential candidates exploiting the fear of citizens by proposing special databases or ID's for people of a particular religion, or when they suggest banning people from that religion from coming to this country entirely, one has to wonder just how fast it could all spiral out of control. Just think about this; we aren't even a generation passed an era where Japanese-Americans were rounded up and placed in internment camps because of their race. The world isn't as "civilized" as people want to believe."""

Don't think that there will never be a time that the government could turn on it's people. The people who make up our government are just as fallible as those who created it.
I didn't reply to any post in particular, only the general insurrection attitude present. I also didn't mention the constitution...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies