Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 12:13 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cara_319 View Post
This case is very interesting for the following reason: Abigail Fisher blames Affirmative Action, yet out of the 841 students who made the 8% cut, ONLY 47 had PAI/AI scores that were lower than Fishers AND 42 of them were white. - This means that only 5 (non white students) who received admission letters, had lower scores than Abigail. Why is Abigail not perturbed that 42 white students who received admission offers had lower scores?
You realize that they are comparing scores AFTER giving points for factors like race etc?

Let me simplify.
Let's say I gave everyone with blonde hair 20 extra points on my math test.
A person with dark hair complained that they scored only 75 and should get a higher grade.
I dismiss their complaint by pointing out that almost all the blonde haired people scored higher than they did, after I gave them all an extra 20 points, so their complaints are invalid.

I have to wonder who wrote that article you linked to, they're functionally innumerate and should be shamed for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 12:15 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Well that's what has happened in California after that state eliminated race based enrollment. AA and white enrollments went down while asian enrollments shot through the roof. Private Ivy League universities are free to do as they please and won't be impacted, but state universities will likely see the same thing happen should SCOTUS agree with the lower courts.

Heck, as it is I wonder how much of the Ivy League enrollments are WASP legacies and foreign nationals that pay full tuition versus achievement based enrollees.

I can`t find anything that backs up your claim that white enrollment declined.

Have a source?

Old 12-10-2015, 12:29 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
If high school students think that, realistically, they can never have much hope of having more than a minimum-wage type job, what incentive do they have to stay in school?

If everyone received an EQUAL K-12 education, and if college admissions were based only on objective and non-biased aptitude tests, and if the number of acceptances were based on the projected number of jobs in which a college degree was required, and if college was free to those who were then accepted, I just think that would truly "level the field" with a real chance of a college education being given to everyone -- and an added benefit might be high school students who were more motivated to study harder, stay in school, and succeed.

And perhaps if more students were required to actually earn their "right" to a college education, maybe they would then appreciate their college education more than many do now, rich OR poor, "white" OR "non-white".

Old 12-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
let us hope so.

the crybullies' heads will assplode.

SCOTUS Hears Case That Could Kill College Affirmative Action - NBC News
She already lost this case twice, it was obvious she was going to lose again.

Something like 150 white kids with worse grades than she had got in. It is because of better SAT/ACT scores and more extra curricular.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You realize that they are comparing scores AFTER giving points for factors like race etc?

Let me simplify.
Let's say I gave everyone with blonde hair 20 extra points on my math test.
A person with dark hair complained that they scored only 75 and should get a higher grade.
I dismiss their complaint by pointing out that almost all the blonde haired people scored higher than they did, after I gave them all an extra 20 points, so their complaints are invalid.

I have to wonder who wrote that article you linked to, they're functionally innumerate and should be shamed for it.
The article I read had Quotes from the Board of Admissions from Texas. They gave numbers that didnt include points given for race.

Long story short, she didnt have a good case, she is lucky they looked at her application at all seeing as she didnt submit it in the proper form( checking off that she was in the top 10% of her class when she really wasnt.)

Old 12-10-2015, 12:40 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure most people have NO idea that colleges/universities adjust scores that way.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:47 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Ever gone through the admissions process at an elite school?
Yep.

Quote:
I know an Ivy recruiter, they can spot a "Tiger whipped" student with high test scores and the personality of a lump of mud within the first 5 minutes.

Those kids aren't going to make any ivy *better* than a lower scoring well-rounded student with actual interests and passions.
It's not about making an Ivy *better*. It's about merit. If Asian students have superior grades and test scores compared to White applicants, then they should be admitted over White applicants. Period.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:09 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:
Ever gone through the admissions process at an elite school?

Given cultural pressures, regional pressures (east coast) and other socio-economic factors, Asian students in the US are often pressured to get into the best school. These are kids that practice the PSAT for 2 years to make sure they get national merit and spend hours and hours and hours prepping for SAT's etc.

I know an Ivy recruiter, they can spot a "Tiger whipped" student with high test scores and the personality of a lump of mud within the first 5 minutes.

Those kids aren't going to make any ivy *better* than a lower scoring well-rounded student with actual interests and passions.
We need an objective scale. Grades are the most objective scale. When you are playing basketball against somebody and score less points than he, nobody will declare you a winner because the judge liked your personality.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:16 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
We need an objective scale. Grades are the most objective scale. When you are playing basketball against somebody and score less points than he, nobody will declare you a winner because the judge liked your personality.
Actually, standardized tests are the most objective scale, and Asians perform better on standardized tests than Whites.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:21 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Actually, standardized tests are the most objective scale, and Asians perform better on standardized tests than Whites.
Anything that is not based on "personal opinion/impression". I agree that the best is equal, standardized test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies