Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:15 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times

Advertisements

I just saw a TV ad by the NRA. The head of the organization called these radical Islamic terrorists "cowards".

I respectfully disagree with his word choice. Deciding to sacrifice your earthly life for ones ideology, no matter how twisted it is, isn't necessarily cowardly IMO.

I think people use this term out of extreme anger, wanting to insult the enemy at the highest level.

I'm not an NRA hater, but I do believe the organization wields too much power in this country right now. I'm all for the Second Amendment, to be clear.

I recall John Walsh on "America's Most Wanted", who I have great respect for, also frequently used the word "coward" to describe despicable criminals who had done hideous acts.

As I said, I think some people choose the word because it's such a degrading title to be called. I'd be happier with the words barbarians, murderers, delusional, demonic, brainwashed, etc., to describe these criminals or terrorists.

IMO, it takes courage to kill yourself and church people who have been kind to you (such as in the Charleston church murderer case, or the recent San Bernardino case). Opinions? Am I not understanding something?

I don't believe courage always implies "good acts." Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:23 AM

15,945 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Courage is a sign of strength of character to do the difficult thing because it is the right thing to do. By dying for an ideology which is based on hate and disrespect for humanity one is only serving himself. Hate does not come from courage but out of insecurity and weakness. It comes out of fear. While cowards may be. An insufficient word to use, these people who kill the innocents with machine guns are not heroes. It is not courage.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:25 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
I don't think cowards strap a dynamite belt and push the button or knowingly subject themselves to death by a hail of bullets. Characterizing them as such is a mistake.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
When you believe you are guaranteed a place in heaven when you die after killing as many unarmed infidels as possible the act only requires faith. It does not require courage.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:29 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Are people who commit suicide cowards? If they are unable to face the world, and wanting to end it all, is not what I would call brave.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:31 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I don't think cowards strap a dynamite belt and push the button or knowingly subject themselves to death by a hail of bullets. Characterizing them as such is a mistake.
What about the guy who commits suicide and blows his head off with a gun?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:32 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I do not think it particularly brave to sit at a table with others, breaking bread, and then arising, going out to get your companion, and return with guns, killing a bunch of people you know were unarmed.

If the San Bernadino killers were brave, they would have gone to Syria to fight for ISIS, against other people that have guns.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 AM

833 posts, read 657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I just saw a TV ad by the NRA. The head of the organization called these radical Islamic terrorists "cowards".

I respectfully disagree with his word choice. Deciding to sacrifice your earthly life for ones ideology, no matter how twisted it is, isn't necessarily cowardly IMO.

I think people use this term out of extreme anger, wanting to insult the enemy at the highest level.

I'm not an NRA hater, but I do believe the organization wields too much power in this country right now. I'm all for the Second Amendment, to be clear.

I recall John Walsh on "America's Most Wanted", who I have great respect for, also frequently used the word "coward" to describe despicable criminals who had done hideous acts.

As I said, I think some people choose the word because it's such a degrading title to be called. I'd be happier with the words barbarians, murderers, delusional, demonic, brainwashed, etc., to describe these criminals or terrorists.

IMO, it takes courage to kill yourself and church people who have been kind to you (such as in the Charleston church murderer case, or the recent San Bernardino case). Opinions? Am I not understanding something?

It's not courage these moslem inbred snakes are driven by. It's twisted genetics leading to impaired brains and constant brainwashing by koran the unholy war manual doing a number on these worms.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post

Opening fire on unarmed civilians is cowardly.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:36 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I would call a group of people that prey on innocent people that cannot fight back cowards. The Paris and San Bernadino shooters come to mind.
The guys on the ground in the Middle East fighting against the military and money of the USA are brave however misguided.

A guy that straps on a suicide vest and blows himself up in a crowded market is not brave or a coward he is brainwashed in my book. Still in many cultures it is very noble to kill ones self for the good of others or the movement.

isis idiots that behead innocent people to spread fear are cowards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies