Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:01 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Do some research all the information is out there for you to learn, be creative you would be surprised how much one can store if done properly and it does not take as much room if done right as you may think, and practice the skills so you know what to di if and/or when you need them, oh, and you will have to get off the couch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
You could start with these~

Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath byTed Koppel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6YW3HWK55XCGG2
When The Grid Goes Down: Disaster Preparations and Survival Gear For Making Your Home Self-Reliant by Tony Nester
When The Grid Goes Down, Disaster Preparations and Survival Gear For Making Your Home Self-Reliant: Tony Nester: 9780971381148: Amazon.com: Books=
The Ultimate Survival Manual (Outdoor Life): 333 Skills that Will Get You Out Alive by Rich Johnson
http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Survi...1ND7Q1D7PWQ47C
One Second After by William R. Forstchen
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6YW3HWK55XCGG2
77 Days in September (The Kyle Tait Series)by Ray Gorham
Amazon.com: 77 Days in September (The Kyle Tait Series Book 1) eBook: Ray Gorham: Kindle Store
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
This is where a lot of people get into a "trickbag". It depends on your specific situation. If you are in the middle of no where and people are far away you will probably be ok for a while. If you are in an apartment in the city and the roads are gridlocked you won't last long.

My situation is a small town ten miles from the nearest city. I have slowly been able to find a few like minded people in my neighborhood by meeting them at neighborhood gatherings/parties. It would be ideal to get half the households on board so we could work together if some type of event occurred. That will have to happen slowly, however 80 percent of the households have firearms so we could defend the neighborhood. The problem is when neighbors start running out of food and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Or you could just join the Scouts. I've been a member of BSA for twenty-some years as an adult, and I was a Girl Scout in my youth. I can definitely gather wood and build a fire.

Really, though, there are plenty of resources for learning survival skills, and you'd be surprised to find just how creative you can be when necessary. Don't underestimate your own ingenuity.
Thanks guys. I suppose it'd be a good idea to get all these survival guides in print, and then find somewhere I can practice all the various skills. And it's another reason to move out of San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Thanks guys. I suppose it'd be a good idea to get all these survival guides in print, and then find somewhere I can practice all the various skills. And it's another reason to move out of San Francisco.

You're very welcome.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:38 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Yep being in a large city is not going to be a good place to be in any type of serious event like an emp etc

Old 12-15-2015, 11:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Wouldn't there be a lot of (armed) home invasions and looting though? If there's no electricity, there's no police. Say goodbye to all the prepper's stockpile.

I guess everyone would have to have a gun, and it'd essentially be kill or be killed.

Ultimately though, even if there's no looting, eventually we'd have to have survival skills.

How does one even go about learning essential survival skills? I guess we need a Boy Scouts for adults of some sort.

And how would anyone have enough room for all the prepping stockpile? We live in a 435sf studio with an electric stove.

There's no way around it, my partner and I are screwed. Lol
plenty of books out there

try to see about downloading FM 21-76 (Army Field Manual for Survival)

Old 12-15-2015, 11:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
The good news is the odds of a grid collapse are pretty damn remote.

However, preparing for something like a grid collapse will help you in other situations such as a hurricane, tornado, earth quake, pandemic, social upheaval, etc.

I see this type of prep as insurance. Something you spend an acceptable amount of time and money on that you hope you never utilize.

I've read a number of news stories where water supplies have been compromised by line breaks or contamination. Having a way to purify water can come in handy for this and many other situations. Unless you are in a tiny space, you're talking about very little room and not much money.

Rotating canned food isn't difficult and a person can easily be able to have a month's worth if a decent pantry/closet scenario.

Everybody should have a decent first aid kit, but most people don't.

Basic prepping isn't that tough, expensive or time consuming.

Better to have it and not use it than need it and not have it.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:46 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I give it 3 days. That's why I have stocked up on water. Food. Guns. And ammo.
That's where the saying "9 days to anarchy" comes from.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:53 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Wouldn't there be a lot of (armed) home invasions and looting though? If there's no electricity, there's no police. Say goodbye to all the prepper's stockpile.

I guess everyone would have to have a gun, and it'd essentially be kill or be killed.

Ultimately though, even if there's no looting, eventually we'd have to have survival skills.

How does one even go about learning essential survival skills? I guess we need a Boy Scouts for adults of some sort.

And how would anyone have enough room for all the prepping stockpile? We live in a 435sf studio with an electric stove.

There's no way around it, my partner and I are screwed. Lol
In a grid down situation I would defend my preps.

We have a Preparedness section here at City-Data. Go to YouTube. I like the Sensible Prepper channel but the Urban Prepper channel may fit your needs.

That is smaller than my bedroom. The flooring guys figured 485sf.

Old 12-16-2015, 04:12 PM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
There is a story out today that the Camden County (Mo) sheriff and the FBI are investigating that several middle-eastern men were inquiring about Bagnell Dam. It provides electricity to much of central Missouri and if blown up, hundreds, if not thousands could die from the flood.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:49 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Actually System Operators everywhere plan and practice for attacks on the grid both physical and cyber. FERC requires planning for it. I for one don't think it will help the whole country but perhaps we will keep some of the lights on....
This. The responsibility falls squarely on the electrical utilities, and they have been preparing for it. An EMP would be godawful, but it wouldn't take everything out. They have backups and stopgates. But it is a definite issue that needs to be be routinely addressed and prepared for.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:09 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
This. The responsibility falls squarely on the electrical utilities, and they have been preparing for it. An EMP would be godawful, but it wouldn't take everything out. They have backups and stopgates. But it is a definite issue that needs to be be routinely addressed and prepared for.

Since when, and where is this info?

All my research results say that the US is absolutely NOT prepared for an EMP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies