Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 05:59 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How can you post that bull scat? Have you ever heard of a little city in the mid-west they call "Chicago"? It has one of the highest murder rates in the nation and until very recently had some of the strictest gun control laws on the books. Do you expect people to believe your lies?
All the areas that have the strictest gun laws have the most gun homicides. And I won't speculate why, but they all have a majority black population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:02 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Nice rant, but if it is unconstitutional why hasn't the NRA taken it to court and had it overturned? As far as Heller, it looks to me like SCOTUS has been walking that back for a while, look at the federal appellate court decisions they have allowed to stand (I've posted them before, but if you aren't familiar with them I can post them again)

Again, one does not beg the government to have their rights back. Illegal firearm.. pft! Illegally carrying.. pft!
Remember, government cannot take your rights. Only you can consent to be governed. You can never be forced.

Free people with Liberty, would never beg for their rights to be returned.
It does not say, the right of the citizen, shall not be infringed. I am a person, not a citizen.

Ever hear, Give me liberty, or give me death. Some live it. Some just talk about it.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:47 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
How can you post that bull scat? Have you ever heard of a little city in the mid-west they call "Chicago"? It has one of the highest murder rates in the nation and until very recently had some of the strictest gun control laws on the books. Do you expect people to believe your lies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
All the areas that have the strictest gun laws have the most gun homicides. And I won't speculate why, but they all have a majority black population.

Well the Floorist is just flat out wrong: States with the most gun homicides

States often with the highest gun ownership have the highest rate of gun deaths.

Chicago represents a city with a very complex gang violence problem that won't just be solved with gun regulations. However, have you ever heard of NYC or LA? The two larger cities in the US with way way less gun violence and crime with the most strict gun laws.
The problem? The surrounding states with lax gun laws. There are plenty of threads on this board about "iron pipelines" because it is a real thing.

17,000 guns were recovered by Chicago Police between 2008 and 2012. 58% or 10,000 of the guns came from outside the state. With the third most coming from Mississippi.

Where Chicago's Guns Come From - CityLab

NYC has the strictest gun laws and 90% of the guns come from Florida, Virginia, and Georgia

'Iron Pipeline' a conduit for illegal weapons to New York - LA Times

Old 12-13-2015, 07:42 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

States often with the highest gun ownership have the highest rate of gun deaths.

Chicago represents a city with a very complex gang violence problem that won't just be solved with gun regulations. However, have you ever heard of NYC or LA? The two larger cities in the US with way way less gun violence and crime with the most strict gun laws.
The problem? The surrounding states with lax gun laws. There are plenty of threads on this board about "iron pipelines" because it is a real thing.

17,000 guns were recovered by Chicago Police between 2008 and 2012. 58% or 10,000 of the guns came from outside the state. With the third most coming from Mississippi.

Where Chicago's Guns Come From - CityLab

NYC has the strictest gun laws and 90% of the guns come from Florida, Virginia, and Georgia

'Iron Pipeline' a conduit for illegal weapons to New York - LA Times

Florida, Virginia and Georgia. Why do you mention where the guns came from? The guns are deemed illegal in NYC, but not in those States.
Since they are illegal in your examples why don't the residents obey their local laws and refrain from obtaining them?

Virginia has issued 330,000 carry permits to its residents. There must be 2-million firearms in the State, with billions
of rounds of ammo to feed those weapons.
Deaths by firearms in Virginia is miniscule. Your assertion about States with high gun ownership having high rate of deaths is false.

Most States allow private sales of weapons, as they should.
If my brother wants to sell me one of his rifles, it's between him and me.
One of my customers sold me a pistol. We've known each other for many years, so we did our own background check and a bill of sale.
No problem and it's not going to change.

Old 12-13-2015, 07:57 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I've owned guns for 60 years, worked as a gunsmith for four, and hunted deer and wild hogs in what is now Congaree National Park and on either side of it for 45 years. Don't assume what I know. It might be more than you think.

If you know all that, then I assume you know how far all that is going to get. A Law is only worth anything if people obey them. Ask any Criminal. Obama can Introduce any "Feel Good" Legislation he wants, but we all know what his chances are of getting it done, especially now, when he is on his last legs.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Homicide is not the same as murder.
Murder is homicide, but homicide is not always murder.

Look at homicide by motor vehicles! That should really frighten you! they are everywhere around you daily.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why do you take such offense at what he said? Gun rights are not absolute, that has been demonstrated several times by SCOTUS refusing to hear gun cases:

Smart folks. I would refuse to hear a case for Laws that not be enforced also. You just don't get it do you? People are NOT going to give up their Guns, Period, regardless of the Fantasy made up in anti-gunn nuts minds. .

Old 12-13-2015, 08:18 PM

57,262 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
It would be helpful if you could post some states that prove your point, I don't expect an answer anytime soon.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That's not true. The ATF probably tracked the serial numbers down at the factory, and worked forward from there.

And you don't really believe that, do you, but you think it sounds good, right? So the "Factory" just happened to have the name of who bought it handy? Or would they only have the Gun Shop name they sold it to? The Government would be the only one who would have access to the end buyers name.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:39 PM

57,262 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
A law is no more effective than your ability to enforce it. It would be worthless legislation that would have no impact what so ever. Just another law that has no meaning or reason.
So do away with laws against murder and speeding obviously they are not being enforced, why do gun laws always have to meet the standard to be perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies