Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 AM

1,431 posts, read 909,753 times

Advertisements

Very interesting article. I found this part to be particularly eye-opening:

Quote:
By referring to the Islamic State as ISIL, President Obama is sending a wink-and-nod to the Muslim world that Israel should not be recognized as a sovereign nation and that the entire Holy Land region belongs to Palestine and the Islamic State. As such, the use of “ISIL” is considered by many as a slap in the face to Israel.

Why Obama Says ISIL Instead of ISIS | TruthLamp

We should call them Daesh. They don't like that very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 10:17 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,092,054 times
Or, there could simply be a sane non-TruthLamp explanation:

Quote:
ISIS: The militant group, which began as the Iraqi branch of al Qaeda during the U.S. occupation, gained this name after it invaded Syria in 2013. ISIS is short for "Islamic State in Iraq and Syria," or "Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham," which is an old Arabic term for the area.

ISIL: ISIL translates to “Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.” The Levant is a geographical term that refers to the eastern shore of the Mediterranean -- Syria, Lebanon, Palestine, Israel and Jordan. It’s the term the U.S. government uses since the "Levant" is apparently a better translation for al-Sham, the Arabic name for the region.

Daesh: This is a term the militant group hates. French President François Hollande has used it since the attacks Friday, and first used it in September 2014. It’s an Arabic acronym for “al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham.” It can sometimes be spelled DAIISH, Da'esh or Daech, a popular French version. The hacktivist group Anonymous and President Barack Obama have used the term since the deadly terrorist attacks in Paris.
ISIL, ISIS, Islamic State, Daesh: What's The Difference?
[MOD CUT/trolling]

Mick

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-11-2015 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 10:18 AM

34,301 posts, read 15,599,055 times
I was wondering about that. Now I know.

He should be made to ride a pig out of DC when his term is up.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:23 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,733,154 times
Maybe. I tend to think it is more of a subtle jab at middle America, who for the most part calls them ISIS. It's his way of saying "you bible clingers can call them ISIS if you wish but those of us who are a little more educated on the subject know they are more accurately called ISIL". Same with his sycophants and the various talking heads that use the term as well. It almost always comes with an air of condescension about it. Even the few posters on this forum who use the term...they tend to use a debating style that relies heavily on talking down to people and presenting a veneer of faux intellectualism.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:26 AM

6,548 posts, read 6,705,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle bully View Post
maybe. I tend to think it is more of a subtle jab at middle america, who for the most part calls them isis. It's his way of saying "you bible clingers can call them isis if you wish but those of us who are a little more educated on the subject know they are more accurately called isil". Same with his sycophants and the various talking heads that use the term as well. It almost always comes with an air of condescension about it. Even the few posters on this forum who use the term...they tend to use a debating style that relies heavily on talking down to people and presenting a veneer of faux intellectualism.
Bingo

Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,995 times
Obama has a 2 digit IQ. His fellow muslims advised his speechwriters to call them ISIL.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:42 AM

8,058 posts, read 3,930,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Or, there could simply be a sane non-TruthLamp explanation:

ISIL, ISIS, Islamic State, Daesh: What's The Difference?
[MOD CUT/trolling]

Mick

After the Paris attack, Kerry made a HUGE deal out of calling them Daesh.

You have to question why Obama still calls them by the only name from the list that legitimizes their "claim" over Israel.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-11-2015 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 12-11-2015, 10:46 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,984,573 times
Well, since ISIL,ISIS doesn't like DAESH we should all call them that from now on. We could start a thread that says, "new name for them" or something like that....then, we'll all use the term DAESH. Who's game?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:51 AM

17,387 posts, read 9,211,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Very interesting article. I found this part to be particularly eye-opening:

Why Obama Says ISIL Instead of ISIS | TruthLamp

We should call them Daesh. They don't like that very much.
John Kerry does call them Daesh, as do many European countries with large Muslim populations.
I expect the new Caliphate much prefers IS, Islamic State.

It's true that Levant includes Israel, Jordan, Lebanon .... even up to Cyprus and Turkey. It does not include Iraq. It's a very real possibility that TeamObama just skipped Geography classes and are a bit clueless about these things unless they read the newspapers. I know they all skipped History classes and are pretty clueless about the Ottoman Empire and History the Mid East.
President Lectures a Lot often tells us "I didn't know until I read it in the papers". Perhaps he hasn't read a newspaper since back in the days that IS called themselves ISIL (which pre-dates ISIS).

Old 12-11-2015, 11:09 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,435,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Maybe. I tend to think it is more of a subtle jab at middle America, who for the most part calls them ISIS. It's his way of saying "you bible clingers can call them ISIS if you wish but those of us who are a little more educated on the subject know they are more accurately called ISIL". Same with his sycophants and the various talking heads that use the term as well. It almost always comes with an air of condescension about it. Even the few posters on this forum who use the term...they tend to use a debating style that relies heavily on talking down to people and presenting a veneer of faux intellectualism.
Let's review.

Most people use ISIS.

ISIL is the more accurate acronym.

But if the President uses ISIL (even though it's more accurate) he's being .... what? Uppity?

Gee, that's not a very subtle jab.

I'll use ISIL. It's more accurate, and it has the added bonus of pissing people off. A win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies