Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 AM

24,446 posts, read 17,187,452 times

Advertisements

I heard on NPR yesterday that a plane full of Syrian refugees were welcomed in Toronto. The moment they stepped off the plane they were welcomed with health care and winter clothes.

How nice for them.

I then thought why? Why is the world making such a big deal out of these refugees from Syria who are fleeing a war when people in Africa face the same or worse everyday..
Black lives matter too so how can the world stand by as many of them starve, have nothing but dirty water to drink, suffer from civil wars and regional war lords wielding machine guns and machetes. The boys are stolen to become soldiers the girls and women are raped, beaten and have their genitals mutilated.

What happens in Africa is so much more barbaric than a war in Syria which will eventually be over and the people can go back to rebuild their lives.

Does the developed world have a responsibility to airlift anyone and everyone out of dangerous areas and resettle them elsewhere?

If it is good for the middle east why not Africa? What is the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 08:08 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,108,676 times
Are you advocating for accepting refugees from Africa, or are you being sarcastic? If the former, you will give an aneurysm to many of our "senior" members. If the latter, they might not get that and have an aneurysm. Either way, a lot of aneurysm will result from your post.

Mick

Old 12-12-2015, 08:41 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,672,090 times
Because Syrian refugees are more politicized and receive more coverage as of recent. Funny is that there are African refugee communities here. I know a Sudanese refugee. There are enclaves of Somali refugees in Minneapolis and a growing one in Maine.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:44 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,288,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I heard on NPR yesterday that a plane full of Syrian refugees were welcomed in Toronto. The moment they stepped off the plane they were welcomed with health care and winter clothes.

How nice for them.

I then thought why? Why is the world making such a big deal out of these refugees from Syria who are fleeing a war when people in Africa face the same or worse everyday..
Black lives matter too so how can the world stand by as many of them starve, have nothing but dirty water to drink, suffer from civil wars and regional war lords wielding machine guns and machetes. The boys are stolen to become soldiers the girls and women are raped, beaten and have their genitals mutilated.

What happens in Africa is so much more barbaric than a war in Syria which will eventually be over and the people can go back to rebuild their lives.

Does the developed world have a responsibility to airlift anyone and everyone out of dangerous areas and resettle them elsewhere?

Canada is foolish, and we are in more danger here because of what Canada does. They can simply walk across the border into the U.S.

I stand with Trump on this: No Muslim immigrants! Period. This is not something new. It has been done before. A President can do that, just as Jimmy Carter did (against Iranians).

Old 12-12-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Are you advocating for accepting refugees from Africa, or are you being sarcastic? If the former, you will give an aneurysm to many of our "senior" members. If the latter, they might not get that and have an aneurysm. Either way, a lot of aneurysm will result from your post.

Mick
Someone is misleading you. It is not just "seniors" who are opposed to Muslims being allowed into the U.S. A majority of Americans think they should be stopped.

Obama is a fool, or he is doing this on purpose for purposes of destroying America. I believe the latter.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Because Syrian refugees are more politicized and receive more coverage as of recent. Funny is that there are African refugee communities here. I know a Sudanese refugee. There are enclaves of Somali refugees in Minneapolis and a growing one in Maine.
The Somali's are a dangerous bunch, and they do not assimilate. They should be deported.

There is no "right" to immigrate into the U.S.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,919,542 times
Good point-the majority of the World's refugees come from Africa. I think 20 Million out of 60 Million Worldwide.

Sad some whole peoples and countries are ignored since they don't fit the current agenda.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:01 AM

4,793 posts, read 2,795,324 times
Default History

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

In the first place, it's not clear to me that the World is concerned about the Syrian refugees. The mass media, especially the 24-hour news channels in the West, have certainly spent a lot of air time on the topics, & the print media have followed suit - mainly, IMO, because the route the refugees take - over land & water - is easy to access (a lot of it in Syria, Turkey, Baltic states, Mediterranean), photogenic, & the deaths, drownings, riots, quasi-military POW treatment & etc. make for good stories. This all makes for a lot of human-interest stories - families broken up, injured & dead, human trafficking, smuggling, pirates, the abuse that goes with shadowy/illegal activities.

Yes, Black lives are important too - but it's difficult & dangerous to cover Boko Haram & Al Qaeda & similar outfits in the wilds of Africa, where anti-government feeling seems to translate to anti-Western feeling, & journalism is generally identified as a Western activity. There is some coverage of the atrocities out of Africa, but it's a tough job, hard to get there & do the work, then report the stories & images back out to the nets. The local governments fighting off the rebels tend not to be helpful to reporters - & may be provoking some of the worst atrocities themselves - & so are not inclined to help hold themselves responsible in a public forum.

The political situation in Syria has been one of unrest since Hafez al-Assad took power in the 1970s. The country is a mishmash of ethnicities, religions, languages. It has a complicated history & population, & their political arrangements are unsustainable, without considerable force. I don't know that any settlement is possible in the near future - all sides seem to be digging in for the long haul, or leaving the country altogether. Can refugees go back & rebuild afterward? Not if you look @ the case of the Palestinians who left or were expelled from Israel.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,687,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Canada is foolish, and we are in more danger here because of what Canada does. They can simply walk across the border into the U.S.

I stand with Trump on this: No Muslim immigrants! Period. This is not something new. It has been done before. A President can do that, just as Jimmy Carter did (against Iranians).

The US has not used a religious test to allow or deny entry to visitors.

Carter banned most, not all, visitors from Iran during the hostage crisis.

Asking 70 million inbound foreign visitors from everywhere if they are Muslim and if the response is affirmative, denying them entry ( Trump's plan) is not the same as temporarily banning those with Iranian passports.

As for Canada, maybe you and Trump can advocate for a wall along the 5,525 mile border.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,687,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Good point-the majority of the World's refugees come from Africa. I think 20 Million out of 60 Million Worldwide.

Sad some whole peoples and countries are ignored since they don't fit the current agenda.
The world is one big ole humanitarian crisis.

The US accepts about one- third of the number of refugees than it did in the 80's.

The majority of accepted refugees have come from Asia for the past 40 years.

I would like to see the US put a moritorium on accepting all refugees from anywhere until it resolves the 30 year challenge of illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies