Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 08:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You have no idea of the demographics of these refugees going to Canada, these children sure don't look like terrorists. The refugees in Europe are quite different, these are mostly women and children going to Canada and have mostly been initially funded through private donations through religious groups and charities.

Be honest, you would rather place a remote chance that your safety would be compromised rather than help desperate people.

It's not our fault, I don't think that is entirely true.
There's NO reason the "infidel" countries need to take in scads of especially Sunni Arab Muslims; let their rich brothers down by Saudi take care of 'em. Christian Arabs, Yazidis and a few others are a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 08:43 PM

57,343 posts, read 26,255,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
There's NO reason the "infidel" countries need to take in scads of especially Sunni Arab Muslims; let their rich brothers down by Saudi take care of 'em. Christian Arabs, Yazidis and a few others are a different story.
That's a fair question, why haven't the Saudis taken in refugees.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:04 PM

26,527 posts, read 15,097,583 times
Quote:
Most of our "allies" in the region aren't taking them in.

Saudi Arabia 0
Kuwait 0
United Arab Emirates 0
Bahrain 0
Qatar 0

Of course, China publicly tells us to take more in, while taking in 0 themselves. I am sure that China always has our best interests in their hearts.

Meanwhile Japan says that they have to primarily take care of their own people first and will take in 0, but send some food and medical supplies -- there is a nuanced concept from a country with a high average IQ.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:33 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,537,385 times
In Lebanon, the refugees are not allowed to hold jobs and thus can't support their families. They had hopes of being able to return to Syria but as the years pass and the bombing of civilians continues, that hope has faded.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,768,591 times
Quote:

Be honest, you would rather place a remote chance that your safety would be compromised rather than help desperate people.

People can be helped, and are being helped, without transporting them half way around the world to live in cultures they disapprove of and have no desire to assimalate into.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:43 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,503,810 times
Quote:
Canada has quite the history of accepting refugees and once again did not disappoint, plans for 25,000 by early next year

"In the latest wave, Canada will accept 10,000 Syrian refugees by year’s end and the remaining 15,000 by the end of February. The arrivals are coming from camps in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey. Canada’s plan is impressive: resettling them to 36 cities, 13 in Quebec and the rest across the country; temporarily lodging 6,000 on military bases in Ontario and Quebec; and flying the refugees to Canada largely on privately chartered aircraft but promising military airlifts every 48 hours if needed. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...b1f_story.html
so let's ask it this way

you have a bowl of 10,000 m&m's..you know that 500 of them (5%) may be poisonous.....will you eat the bowl of m&m's, even though only 5% may be bad...heck 95% are good....will you eat them

maybe only 5% of the refugees are bad....should you take the chance by letting them all in?????.....REAL vetting would take years!!!!

Old 12-12-2015, 10:44 PM

132 posts, read 91,690 times
Quote:
I brought that issue up in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-east-not.html

The Gulf countries should take in the majority of the refugees.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:51 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,768,591 times
The bar for whether a person is considered a good immigration candidate needs to be a little higher than just "non-terrorist". What percentage of displaced Syrians can move to countries like Canada, the U.S. or Germany and make a positive contribution to society? Nowhere near 95%... maybe 5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so let's ask it this way

you have a bowl of 10,000 m&m's..you know that 500 of them (5%) may be poisonous.....will you eat the bowl of m&m's, even though only 5% may be bad...heck 95% are good....will you eat them

maybe only 5% of the refugees are bad....should you take the chance by letting them all in?????.....REAL vetting would take years!!!!

Old 12-12-2015, 11:27 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,537,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The bar for whether a person is considered a good immigration candidate needs to be a little higher than just "non-terrorist". What percentage of displaced Syrians can move to countries like Canada, the U.S. or Germany and make a positive contribution to society? Nowhere near 95%... maybe 5%.
I don't know about the U.S. or Germany but judging from the Syrian occupations in many of the refugee stories I read, I suspect that most of the refugees coming to Canada are middle class, used to living in urban environments. They will need help for the first few months particularly if they are not fluent in English or French, but I fully expect that most if not all of the families will be self sufficient and paying taxes in a year's time. Many Canadians stepping up to the plate to help are former refugees themselves, e.g. Vietnamese boat people, who say they want to give back for the help they themselves received. Some have done very well in Canada with their own businesses.

I read one story yesterday of a Syrian refugee family who arrived in Canada only six weeks ago. In Syria the husband was a graphic designer and his wife was a kindergarten teacher. They already have jobs. He works in an auto body shop and his wife is working as a waitress. The mother of one of them babysits the children.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:38 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I don't know about the U.S. or Germany but judging from the Syrian occupations in many of the refugee stories I read, I suspect that most of the refugees coming to Canada are middle class, used to living in urban environments. They will need help for the first few months particularly if they are not fluent in English or French, but I fully expect that most if not all of the families will be self sufficient and paying taxes in a year's time. Many Canadians stepping up to the plate to help are former refugees themselves, e.g. Vietnamese boat people, who say they want to give back for the help they themselves received. Some have done very well in Canada with their own businesses.

I read one story yesterday of a Syrian refugee family who arrived in Canada only six weeks ago. In Syria the husband was a graphic designer and his wife was a kindergarten teacher. They already have jobs. He works in an auto body shop and his wife is working as a waitress. The mother of one of them babysits the children.
We've had numerous middle eastern refugees in the Sacramento area and from what I understand except for the elderly who can't work the rest of the adults have good employable skills and found jobs quickly. I shop at a Russian grocery store which is frequented by a large number of middle eastern people and I can't tell how long they have been in the US, but they are all very well dressed and well groomed, none look like they are on welfare. The refugee organizations really do a good job helping these folks find housing and jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies