Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:22 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Ummm, wonder why no one is speaking about this.....seems this would knock Cruz right off the charts. Interesting stuff!
I believe Cruz worked for 2 law firms in the past that lobbied congress. He was a lobbyist himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In my humble opinion, H1B is a total disaster.

For those outside the industry, a programmer is a programmer is a programmer. Contracting for a programmer at $80/hour looks like a better deal than one at $90/hour.

Second, contractors are rarely held accountable. The big ones are skilled at contracts that get them off the hook, especially when they know the project will be a disaster. This is particularly easy in the body-per-hour billing model.

I am assuming companies should want quality, but not quantity. But reality is simply not the case. We see the demand for H1B programmers, the cheap, incompetent programmers mean maximum profit for cosulting companies.
IME, many of these 'contracts' assume that the work is fungible, and that all bidders are equally qualified.

the name of the game for consultants is to provide the bare minimum while not getting sued.

i've heard people accuse IBM, for example, of actively pursuing a policy of ignoring the contract's details and betting that the client won't sue.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:27 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
We need to do it like Japan, the Government there allows companies to hires those who have a visa however they pay 25% more to each foreigner they hire, they do not have a oversized foreigner workforce for a reason which is that.
If we did that... US employers would just misclassify jobs to get to 25% below market. I keep watching H1B workers get screwed by LCA misclassification (which, in turn, hurts me as their misclassification supports my own employer misclassifying my role).
Just a couple of weeks ago a guy was hired locally on an H1B as a level II computer operator... for a position that required a scripting language, two programming languages, advanced degree, several years of experience, and included duties across multiple teams and technical lead duties. Should have been a computer programmer class or at least a level IV computer operator, but it went through as computer operator. But the employer holds even more power in that situation than a typical domestic employer.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
We need to do it like Japan, the Government there allows companies to hires those who have a visa however they pay 25% more to each foreigner they hire, they do not have a oversized foreigner workforce for a reason which is that.
The majority of H1B recipients are foreign consulting companies. US companies pay more than a 25% premium to the consulting company.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:31 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
B. H-1B's aren't immigrants. It is a "Non immigrant visa." This is not some minor distinction, either.
But it is dual intent eligible, which makes is really popular for skilled migrant workers. Meanwhile, H2B workers get even more screwed and never get a chance to immigrate even if they want to. Making H2B dual intent would have its own host of problems, but it would sure be an easy fix to our current illegal immigration issues. Of course, it will never happen.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:33 AM

833 posts, read 657,703 times
This visa is NOTHING but a shiny example of corporate greed in this land. Third world countries have stolen our wealth. Time to throw leaders who support this pillage to this day.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
But it is dual intent eligible, which makes is really popular for skilled migrant workers. Meanwhile, H2B workers get even more screwed and never get a chance to immigrate even if they want to. Making H2B dual intent would have its own host of problems, but it would sure be an easy fix to our current illegal immigration issues. Of course, it will never happen.
"Intent" is pointless if there's an incentive for the visa-sponsoring firm not to sponsor a green card.

If 90% of H-1B's were becoming citizens, that could be construed as evidence that the system wasn't totally broken. But the reality is closer to 1%, based on the data I've seen

Old 12-14-2015, 09:37 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
The current system is broken and may discourage companies from hiring American workers.

Give me a break, The idea behind the H-1B visa is you’re supposed to protect American workers by setting a prevailing wage and not letting it be undercut. what you are seeing now is that the prevailing wage is undercut.

Also, my ex boyfriend's projects (all of them) have been moved to India. The outsourcing of projects is a trend.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
I want to say it again, Ted Cruz was for Amnesty, H1B and Open Borders until it became political suicide.

His top donors are the Open Borders Lobby and that has not changed
Cruz advocated for quintupling the number of new annual H1B visas. He got a lot of flack from influential talk radio hosts and now says he is against increasing until the H1 B visa is reformed which is blah- blah.

If I am not mistaken, with the exception of Bernie, all the 2016 are in favor of increasing H1B visas and Bernie has no chance.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:42 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Name a generation that votes against their own interests more than Millenials.

I assume that is rhetorical as there isn't one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies