Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who came out ahead of the pack?
Bush 3 1.95%
Carson 4 2.60%
Paul 30 19.48%
Rubio 16 10.39%
Cruz 17 11.04%
Trump 66 42.86%
Fiorina 3 1.95%
Kasich 3 1.95%
Christie 12 7.79%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:53 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Maybe you haven't noticed, but we're in a Repubican primary race where candidates compete with each other.

The nominee will compete with Hillary.

None of your chosen candidates look likely to win. They won't even win the Republican nomination, much less the general election.

Would you vote for Hillary over Trump?

If the answer is yes, then there is no reason to take you seriously.

You would never vote for any Republican, ever.

So why should we care what you think? Don't you have a Hillary thread to go to?

Well said.

We've had sixteen years of seeing how well the mainstream parties do.

Time for a change.

Well said.

Trump is going to bring out all the disaffected people who have stopped voting because the choice was always between tweedledum and tweedledee.

He is owned by no one, and he will shake things up.

Who cares that he doesn't follow the "party line" of either party?

That's a GOOD thing.

Well said.

I'm really sick of Republicans saying "I would vote for Hillary instead of (insert Republican candidate's name)" or "I would vote for (insert name of Republican candidate who obviously would never win.)"

I support Trump. But I will vote for ANY Republican over ANY Democrat ANY day of the week.

As for the ones who say Trump isn't a real Republican or conservative -- so what?

Just what have conservatives like Paul Ryan done that is so effective? Nothing. Just what have mainstream Republicans like John Boehner and Mitch McConnell done? Nothing.

And they freak out when a Trump comes along and says, "I'll actually do what needs to be done -- deport illegals, keep Muslims out until we can vet them." And the conservatives and Republicans pee their pants. Good riddance to them. I've had enough. I hope everyone has.

Yes we can.

Yes we can. It will take a while, but we certainly can.

Conservatism doesn't mean illegal aliens overrunning this country, Islamic terrorists coming into this country because we didn't properly vet them, sending good American jobs overseas, and not taking steps to defend our national security.

Freedom and capitalism are nice things -- but they don't work well if government doesn't do its basic job of national defense, securing the borders, etc.

Sorry, that's just the way it is.

If you want one-world government, take your ideas of freedom, individualism and capitalism to the UN and see how willing it is to set up a one-world government that supports those things.

I have news for you....

Well, considering the fact that you and most people probably didn't know what the "triad" meant, and the fact that you would never vote for a Republican, I find it hard to take you seriously.

It's a free country.

Why shouldn't they do that?

Well, let's see....Hillary voted for the Iraq War and was the architect of the war in Libya.

Her hubby bombed Serbia (and the Chinese Embassy there) just to divert attention from Monica-gate.

And Hillary told us she was shot at in Bosnia when she wasn't....

Trump, on the other hand, warned against going into Iraq.

And he also said that we should target Bin Laden -- BEFORE 9/11 happened.

And I'll beT you pulled the lever for Obama the Failure, twice...

That's fine, but Cruz would never get elected president.

You might as well support Huckabee or Santorum, who also would not get elected.

I like all of them.

But America is so steeped in hatred of Christianity and family values that none of them can win.

You keep saying that, but I'm not convinced.

Yes, Trump wants to strengthen the military (which we need to do), help the veterans (we should), secure our borders (finally), deport the illegals (can't happen soon enough), and keep Muslims out of this country unless and until we can properly vet them (nothing could make more sense.)

The liberals hate all of that.

And so do a lot of his fellow Republicans. But you call him a liberal....
Well done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 06:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"and Trump is a divider. He solidifies the far right and alienates everyone else."

I disagree but, as they say you are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine.
According to the pollsters, the typical Trump supported is a white man, age 35-64, without a college education who lives in a rural area.

That Alex Jones has your back, says something.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:17 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Default Embarrassment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm late posting. After watching the debate, Trump is a face-making, childish, silly man.

Anyone who would even consider this man as a serious presidential candidate for our party is an idiot. Not for just his ridiculous childish faces, but his moronic views.

Trump is an embarrassment to my party.
I often wonder what it would be like to be a card-carrying member of the GOP and avoid the embarrassment; from all the dysfunction, the inclusion of groups that are hard to understand (like the Tea Party), the obstructionism and countless ridiculous attempts at overturning the ACA, exasperating Boehner to the point of walking, GW before..., McCain/Palen! And now this circus with Trump the leader...

I know the more hard right-leaning might suggest there is similar for DEMS on the left, but I really don't think so. This delivery by the GOP as of late is not only embarrassing, but not healthy for the balance of American politics. Bad enough we only have a two-party system. When the choice really only becomes one of those parties because the other has nothing to offer, we all lose.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:25 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
You have no basis for saying all Latinos will vote against Trump. There are plenty of Latinos who hate illegal immigration and will vote for him.
Do you really believe that? Right.... Latinos who are against illegal immigration are unlikely to vote for a guy who plans on having a giant round up of brown skinned people

Old 12-18-2015, 09:29 AM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Amazing isn't it? Trump is the first guy to have figured out how to take a Liberal agenda and make it palatable to far right Conservatives, without them even realizing it.

Instead of demonizing Trump, Democrats should be taking notes.
Maybe because I'm not really a far right conservative, and never have been. I am middle of the road, and right now both parties are too far right or left. Only now the left is too far left and ridiculous for me to vote for. Trump is not my favorite person, but I like him better than the others on offer for one reason only, immigration. I don't care if he doesn't deport one single non-criminal illegal alien, as long as he secures the border. I would never approve of targeting families of terrorists, but I think that's bluster and impossible. He is a panderer, but I feel his ego is such that he would want to be remembered as a good president. He isn't beholden to any donors. And if he really can make trade agreements better, then good for him.

I haven't really made up my mind on any of them, but if Trump is in there and he stops his idiot ramblings about people (which is bluster), maybe he will do okay in the general election. Hillary Clinton is just more of the same, and I'm wanting to send a message. That's all.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:16 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'm late posting. After watching the debate, Trump is a face-making, childish, silly man.

Anyone who would even consider this man as a serious presidential candidate for our party is an idiot. Not for just his ridiculous childish faces, but his moronic views.

Trump is an embarrassment to my party.
The Arnold has been advising the Donald to not look too stern.

Americans just aren't that into "stern".

Carly Fiorina is a sistern.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:18 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Maybe you haven't noticed, but we're in a Repubican primary race where candidates compete with each other.
Have you watched any of the Democratic debates? Yeah sure, their policies are loony, but watch how they debate. There aren't any childish insults or barbs thrown at each other, it isn't a question of who can come up with the best one-liner. No, it's a substantive debate between people who have different ideas and variations on a common message, and they maintain a level of respect for one another while discussing those differences. It's a world of difference.
Quote:
None of your chosen candidates look likely to win. They won't even win the Republican nomination, much less the general election.
Let's be clear, Bush / Kasich are far from my ideal candidate, but they'd do far better than Donald Trump.
Quote:
Would you vote for Hillary over Trump?
If the answer is yes, then there is no reason to take you seriously.

Well then you'll be glad to hear that my answer is "NO".... I would not vote for Hillary over Trump, I would simply just not go to the polls at all.

Old 12-18-2015, 01:31 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Maybe because I'm not really a far right conservative, and never have been. I am middle of the road, and right now both parties are too far right or left. Only now the left is too far left and ridiculous for me to vote for. Trump is not my favorite person, but I like him better than the others on offer for one reason only, immigration. I don't care if he doesn't deport one single non-criminal illegal alien, as long as he secures the border. I would never approve of targeting families of terrorists, but I think that's bluster and impossible. He is a panderer, but I feel his ego is such that he would want to be remembered as a good president. He isn't beholden to any donors. And if he really can make trade agreements better, then good for him.
Two things:

#1) Trump won't be able to effect any change whatsoever if he isn't actually elected, so you may support his policies, but can he get elected? I'm no expert but from what I have seen, the numbers just aren't there for him.

#2) Trump, and apparently many of his followers, seem to think he'll be a dictator and will be able to do whatever he wants on his own. He'll still have to get his ideas passed through Congress, so I wouldn't put too much weight in to what he says about what he wants to do. No matter who the next president is, they're going to have to find a way to work with Congress and some stuff just won't be possible to get done. If he can't get congress to approve building a wall, it won't happen anyway, even if he is president.
Quote:
I'm wanting to send a message. That's all.
I can appreciate that, but I really wish Republicans would have chosen literally ANY other election year to send a message. One of the most important issues in this election, that nobody seems to be talking about, is the fact that the next president will appoint at minimum, 3 Supreme Court judges to the bench, which will decide the majority and thus, shape our laws for a generation. Can we trust that Donald Trump will appoint sensible people? Honestly, I have no idea what kind of person he might appoint. If you think Liberals are too nutty these days, how'd ya like to have a Liberal Supreme Court for the next 50 years? This is not the year for a protest vote.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 12-18-2015 at 01:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2015, 01:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post

I haven't really made up my mind on any of them, but if Trump is in there and he stops his idiot ramblings about people (which is bluster), maybe he will do okay in the general election. Hillary Clinton is just more of the same, and I'm wanting to send a message. That's all.
More of the same can sometimes be a good thing. Can you imagine Trump picking Supreme Court justices? Think: Judge Judy, Judge Mathis, Judge Milian

Old 12-18-2015, 02:27 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Explain why we can't deport all the illegals? I'll wait for your failure of an explanation.
I know you didn't direct this question at me, but I'd like to answer it. There are many reasons. One is the cost. For decades there have been undocumented immigrants living in the U.S., and not just from Mexico. So first we'd have to discriminate by targeting one group of people by race or national origin, which is unconstitutional. I mean, unless you know someone is here illegally, do you enter the home of a person simply because you suspect he or she might not be a legal resident? Do you really think we have the manpower to conduct a house by house investigation?

Even the American Action Forum, a conservative pro-immigration group, reported in 2015 that the federal government would have to spend roughly $400 billion to $600 billion to deport 11.3 million undocumented immigrants and prevent future unlawful entry into the U.S. over a 20 year time period.

[URL="http://www.forbes.com/sites/doliaestevez/2015/09/14/trumps-plan-to-round-up-and-deport-11-million-immigrants-within-24-months-prohibitively-expensive/"]FORBES - TRUMP'S DEPORTATION PLAN PROHIBITIVELY INEXPENSIVE[/URL]

This would be a monumental task, an effort resembling what took years in WWII Germany and Poland. I mean, you'd need to impose penalties that would force people to turn in their neighbors. From what many people write, it sounds as if they believe there's some kind of magic wand that will turn red or green when waved over a person's head to identify him as legal or illegal and state the country of origin.

Whether or not people believe illegals have rights in the U.S., most of its 319 million people do. If an immigration officer arrives at your front door, for example, by law you do not need to let that officer enter unless he or she has a warrant. So that's another expensive and time consuming process. If you haven't committed a crime, there is no probably cause for the police to knock on your door and demand a search.

Okay, so let's say we're able to find over 11 million illegals. Then what do we do with them? While we're waiting to process all these people, where do they stay? I needed a new Social Security card when I renewed my driver's license because my old one was damaged. I made an appointment and sat for 2 hours in a room with about 20 other people who were there for various reasons. I only got a letter with a raised seal stating that I'd be receiving one in the mail. So tell me how we're going to process 11 or 12 million? Hold them in internment camps?

I'll stop here, but that's a partial answer to your question.

Trump says a lot of things that don't make sense. He talks about shutting down the Internet in foreign countries. I'd love to hear how he plans to do that. He promised a police union he'd take Executive Action to enforce a Federal Death Penalty. So whatever happened to state's rights? The legislative process? I know what we need. Bigger Government! That way we can address many of the GOP's proposals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies