Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who came out ahead of the pack?
Bush 3 1.95%
Carson 4 2.60%
Paul 30 19.48%
Rubio 16 10.39%
Cruz 17 11.04%
Trump 66 42.86%
Fiorina 3 1.95%
Kasich 3 1.95%
Christie 12 7.79%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:49 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Have you watched any of the Democratic debates? Yeah sure, their policies are loony, but watch how they debate. There aren't any childish insults or barbs thrown at each other, it isn't a question of who can come up with the best one-liner. No, it's a substantive debate between people who have different ideas and variations on a common message, and they maintain a level of respect for one another while discussing those differences. It's a world of difference.
Let's be clear, Bush / Kasich are far from my ideal candidate, but they'd do far better than Donald Trump.

Well then you'll be glad to hear that my answer is "NO".... I would not vote for Hillary over Trump, I would simply just not go to the polls at all.
The Democratic Debates are set up to make them appear presidential, in stark contrast to the Republican Debates. That's because the other candidates on the Democrat side are only in it to move Hillary to the left or vie for a cabinet position. All the Republicans are in it to win, therefore they are trying to narrow the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 06:55 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The Democratic Debates are set up to make them appear presidential, in stark contrast to the Republican Debates. That's because the other candidates on the Democrat side are only in it to move Hillary to the left or vie for a cabinet position. All the Republicans are in it to win, therefore they are trying to narrow the field.
I don't think winnowing down the GOP field is going to make Trump, Fiorina, Carson or Cruz 'look' more presidential. Wacko is as wacko does.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't think winnowing down the GOP field is going to make Trump, Fiorina, Carson or Cruz 'look' more presidential. Wacko is as wacko does.
I never said it would. These contentious debates harm the candidates and harden the feelings of each one's respective voter base. It was really difficult for Hillary supporters to like Obama after the '08 primary, and look at all the people who refused to vote for Romney after the bruising primary in '12.

Old 12-19-2015, 08:43 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Default Immigrants...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Excellent post! The only thing I would add is what is supposed to happen to US born children of illegal immigrants, leave them in the US without parents, deport them too? Mexico isn't under any obligation to accept US Citizens for permanent residency and my guess is that that in order to thumb their nose at Trump they would simply refuse - what then, leave them at the border or maybe put them on ships that can sail around until they find a country that will accept them?
Interesting to see the focus when people comment about immigrants, legal or otherwise. Though I agree these posts are above average when it comes to the truth vs fiction test, what of the flip side or hidden benefit that illegal workers bring in terms of cheap labor? What of all the employers that hire these people to make a better profit and deliver goods and services at lesser prices to their customers (us)?

We focus on the immigrants, but what of the farmers who hire them to pick the strawberries? The restaurant owners who have them cooking and washing the dishes? The contractors who have them digging the ditches, building the buildings, fences, landscaping. The list is long and varied of these cases where often there is no workers compensation paid, payroll taxes, U.I. and the rest.

And that's before we get to those who bring in the $500,000 plus to immigrate by way of buying a business...

Old 12-19-2015, 09:01 AM

Default The problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
This is the problem with Trump and his supporters, they're doing battle with the Republican party, when the real enemy is Hillary Clinton. Trump's a divider at a time when Conservatives need to unite behind a common message.
I think the process as FUBAR as it may be is a healthy one, telling. The bickering, the unbelievable comments, the antics and so forth demonstrate the caliber of these supposed candidates for POTUS. Trump is not a divider in my eyes as much as he is a discloser, a revealer. Not only with regard to what he thinks and how he thinks, but he also exposes what the rest of the GOP is all about.

If you can listen to these characters and rather than take issue with what is being said, turn instead to claiming Hillary the enemy, you are obviously too biased to judge objectively.

At a minimum, most of us agree, we are generally asked to pick the least of evils as revealed by a system dominated by special interests. Rather than talk in terms of who is liberal or who is conservative, might be better to talk in terms of what these candidates actually say and believe!

What is this "common message" that conservatives need to unite behind?

We keep waiting for something that makes sense, something that is not simply no to this and no to that, but instead we get Trump's message as front runner. He and his supporters are not the problem with the GOP any more than the Tea Party is the problem.

The problem is the GOP and what it represents, who it represents (as best anyone can tell)...

Old 12-19-2015, 09:13 AM

Default Creepy Cruz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" but I really get creeped out by Cruz"

Why?
All you have to do is Google "Creepy Cruz," and you will find all the answer you need as to why...

"Keep that in mind when he rails against the establishment and the elites. And remember that when someone is as broadly and profoundly disliked as Cruz is, it’s usually not because he’s a principled truth teller.

It’s because he’s frightening."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/21/op...cruz.html?_r=0

Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 AM

Default The good talk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Kasich is likely the most balanced of the lot. Unfortunately, his delivery is not sensational enough to gain traction. He replaced the former " crazy eyes" with the chop. Both mannerisms serve as distractions to the content.
I agree. Kasich seems the most sincere about what he says and probably the most humble, though as compared to the rest, that's not saying much. Most important, however, is that Kasich just doesn't seem to have that leadership quality that inspires. Hard to put my finger on it, but its almost as if he's a little sheepish, too sheepish.

Isn't it interesting how delivery is so important? Reagan is known as the "great communicator," and of course that is still a matter of pride for most conservatives. Obama has that same gift, but of course that's a different story for conservatives who simply wrote Obama off as a good speech maker (no surprise there).

Bottom line either way -- the point -- if you can't deliver like Reagan or Obama, like Lincoln and the others known as great orators, you've got a problem if you want to win hearts and minds, if you want to be POTUS...

Old 12-19-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think the process as FUBAR as it may be is a healthy one, telling. The bickering, the unbelievable comments, the antics and so forth demonstrate the caliber of these supposed candidates for POTUS. Trump is not a divider in my eyes as much as he is a discloser, a revealer. Not only with regard to what he thinks and how he thinks, but he also exposes what the rest of the GOP is all about.

If you can listen to these characters and rather than take issue with what is being said, turn instead to claiming Hillary the enemy, you are obviously too biased to judge objectively.

At a minimum, most of us agree, we are generally asked to pick the least of evils as revealed by a system dominated by special interests. Rather than talk in terms of who is liberal or who is conservative, might be better to talk in terms of what these candidates actually say and believe!

What is this "common message" that conservatives need to unite behind?

We keep waiting for something that makes sense, something that is not simply no to this and no to that, but instead we get Trump's message as front runner. He and his supporters are not the problem with the GOP any more than the Tea Party is the problem.

The problem is the GOP and what it represents, who it represents (as best anyone can tell)...
Says the guy who thinks illegals working is good for the economy because we get cheap stuff for it. Well, we need the cheap stuff because wages have been suppressed for so long due to illegal immigration. Now that the H-B1 visa matter is starting to affect white collar jobs, maybe something will happen. Though I doubt it because Trump says mean things so we must keep voting for the status quo!

Old 12-19-2015, 09:56 AM

Default Foul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Says the guy who thinks illegals working is good for the economy because we get cheap stuff for it. Well, we need the cheap stuff because wages have been suppressed for so long due to illegal immigration. Now that the H-B1 visa matter is starting to affect white collar jobs, maybe something will happen. Though I doubt it because Trump says mean things so we must keep voting for the status quo!
Now, please! I am not sure you are even trying to understand what I wrote, and I'm not sure there is any fixing that, but my point is not as you suggest!

I was trying to point out that we focus on the immigrants in all manner of demonizing them, but we do not focus on those who actually invite them here, hire them, pay them, give them good reason to stay, reasons anyone should be able to understand. My point is that we can't have it both ways...

I am not for illegal immigration. I am just trying to offer a bit broader perspective, because it really is not right or good policy to look the other way when it comes to American employers taking advantage of the cheaper labor, American homeowners taking advantage of the house-keepers and landscapers, slipping them dollars under the table. Then demonizing them over dinner conversation that night!

Capice?

And you believe wages have been suppressed because of illegal immigration as well? Please have mercy...

Old 12-19-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Now, please! I am not sure you are even trying to understand what I wrote, and I'm not sure there is any fixing that, but my point is not as you suggest!

I was trying to point out that we focus on the immigrants in all manner of demonizing them, but we do not focus on those who actually invite them here, hire them, pay them, give them good reason to stay, reasons anyone should be able to understand. My point is that we can't have it both ways...

I am not for illegal immigration. I am just trying to offer a bit broader perspective, because it really is not right or good policy to look the other way when it comes to American employers taking advantage of the cheaper labor, American homeowners taking advantage of the house-keepers and landscapers, slipping them dollars under the table. Then demonizing them over dinner conversation that night!

Capice?

And you believe wages have been suppressed because of illegal immigration as well? Please have mercy...
Personal insults from you aside, it was not at all clear that you meant we should focus attention on employers who take advantage of cheap labor. And even acknowledging that it is cheaper labor, you then imply that I'm stupid for thinking that having access to cheaper labor causes wages to go down or not grow like they should. Okay...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies