Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who came out ahead of the pack?
Bush 3 1.95%
Carson 4 2.60%
Paul 30 19.48%
Rubio 16 10.39%
Cruz 17 11.04%
Trump 66 42.86%
Fiorina 3 1.95%
Kasich 3 1.95%
Christie 12 7.79%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 12:54 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I could not vote. There was no "Damifino, I did not watch the foolishness!" choice.
The same goes for the demoncrapic "debate" tonight. No way will I watch that horrible old broad rant and rave.
When it comes to a debate between the actual nominees, maybe I will watch that. It just might have some meaning. These pre-convention debates are nothing more than meaningless posturing, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 06:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Who cares?

Trump rounds up the children and detains them in a facility from which they can be deported
^^^^^^^^^^^
This says it all for me.
Why don't we just sell the children as sex slaves? (shaking head)

Old 12-19-2015, 06:27 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
If their parents (who would also be deported) are Mexican, Mexico might try to claim that their children are U.S. citizens. But Mexico doesn't get to make that decision.
We would take them to the border, expel them, and let Mexico sort it all out.
Oh geezus..now you are going to overturn a SCOTUS decision that has been standing law for 100 years and you are going to force a sovereign Nation, Mexico to admit US Citizens for permanent residency how you going to make that happen, at gun point?

Old 12-20-2015, 04:36 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,431,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Now, please! I am not sure you are even trying to understand what I wrote, and I'm not sure there is any fixing that, but my point is not as you suggest!

I was trying to point out that we focus on the immigrants in all manner of demonizing them, but we do not focus on those who actually invite them here, hire them, pay them, give them good reason to stay, reasons anyone should be able to understand. My point is that we can't have it both ways...

I am not for illegal immigration. I am just trying to offer a bit broader perspective, because it really is not right or good policy to look the other way when it comes to American employers taking advantage of the cheaper labor, American homeowners taking advantage of the house-keepers and landscapers, slipping them dollars under the table. Then demonizing them over dinner conversation that night!

Capice?
Who has said it is okay for employers to hire illegal aliens?

None of the people here opposed to illegal immigration have said that it is okay.

Quote:
And you believe wages have been suppressed because of illegal immigration as well?
Of course, they've been suppressed.

When you increase the supply of labor while not increasing the number of jobs, then wages go down.

It's called "the Law of Supply and Demand."

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why don't we just sell the children as sex slaves? (shaking head)
Sending them back to Mexico where their parents came from is the same as selling them as sex slaves?

You must not think much of Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh geezus..now you are going to overturn a SCOTUS decision that has been standing law for 100 years
SCOTUS has never ruled on whether children born here to ILLEGAL aliens are legal U.S. citizens.

The MOST it has done is rule that children born here to foreign LEGAL residents are U.S. citizens.

LEGAL -- that term seems to mystify liberals and "immigration(sic) advocates."

Quote:
And you are going to force a sovereign Nation, Mexico to admit US Citizens
They aren't U.S. citizens -- not according to the Constitution OR the Supreme Court.

Quote:
how you going to make that happen, at gun point?
We dump them into Mexico and don't let them back in.

If Mexico wants to start a war with us about it, let them.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
SCOTUS has never ruled on whether children born here to ILLEGAL aliens are legal U.S. citizens. The MOST it has done is rule that children born here to foreign LEGAL residents are U.S. citizens. LEGAL -- that term seems to mystify liberals and "immigration(sic) advocates." They aren't U.S. citizens -- not according to the Constitution OR the Supreme Court.
Actually they are, you really should do some research on it before you claim that:
Trump Challenges Birthright Citizenship But for a moment, let's just presume that the 14th amendment was changed and & Supreme Court went along with that, do you really think it would apply retroactively and revoke citizenship?

I think birthright citizenship is an anomaly and the policy should be change but only prospectively and as part of a comprehensive immigration policy, not by removing 11 million people from the US without due process

Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Default Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Personal insults from you aside, it was not at all clear that you meant we should focus attention on employers who take advantage of cheap labor. And even acknowledging that it is cheaper labor, you then imply that I'm stupid for thinking that having access to cheaper labor causes wages to go down or not grow like they should. Okay...
Oh, I'm sorry, "Says the guy who thinks illegals working is good for the economy because we get cheap stuff for it."

I should be more careful, right. Must be me.

Maybe my suggestion about having a broader focus when it comes to the pros and cons of immigration was not as clear as I hoped, but I didn't write that we should focus attention only on employers either. Spouting off like that is what I would consider more insulting, but maybe best to just move along...

As for the claim that cheaper labor causes wages to go down, "of course" as another supply/demand economists also spouts off, can we at least agree we're talking about illegal workers here? If you think removing illegal immigrant labor would cause wages to go up, consider the following, facts; illegal immigration contributes about 5% of the U.S. workforce. At best, you might argue this labor force suppresses wages in those few states that have the highest count of illegal aliens, like in Texas and California, but in very select industries, like farming, where the shortage of those workers results in little more than higher groceries. The offsetting effect of higher costs of goods from those states has a negative effect on exports/jobs as well, or so conservatives are also quick to spout is the result of higher minimum wages.

Believe what you wish of course, as you wish, but these issues are not as "black or white" as we often like to believe...

Old 12-20-2015, 09:08 AM

30,996 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I expect an evening of excess fear mongering and attempts to demonstrate how each candidate will save America.
Fear mongering? Funny how Obama had his fear of women and orphan speach just a few days before a woman was involved in the most recent terrorist attack on the US. Maybe we should just wait for another 911 to become fearful?

Old 12-20-2015, 09:19 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Default Come again...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Fear mongering? Funny how Obama had his fear of women and orphan speach just a few days before a woman was involved in the most recent terrorist attack on the US. Maybe we should just wait for another 911 to become fearful?
What was it you say Obama said that is "fear mongering?" Do we have our definitions correct here?

Fear mongering is the deliberate use of fear based tactics including exaggeration and continual repetition to alter the perception of the public in order to achieve a desired outcome.

This is what Trump & Co (GOP) is doing with regard to the refugees, not Obama, not even GW regarding Muslims after 9/11.

PS: GW DID use the tactic very successfully to get us to invade Iraq soon after, for fear of all those WMD. Remember the fear generated about those?

Old 12-21-2015, 04:38 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,431,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Actually they are, you really should do some research on it before you claim that.
Wrong.

The Supreme Court has never declared that children born here to parents who are in this country illegally are citizens.

Never.

Quote:
I think birthright citizenship is an anomaly and the policy should be change but only prospectively and as part of a comprehensive immigration policy, not by removing 11 million people from the US without due process
Remove them all.

The sooner, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Obama seems to have very bad timing.

"ISIS is contained."

Paris attacks a day later.

"Republicans want to keep out women...."

A woman helps kill 14 Americans in San Bernardino a week later.

Maybe the best sign of an imminent terrorist attack is a dumb speech by Obama.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:31 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Sorry, I could not vote. There was no "Damifino, I did not watch the foolishness!" choice.
The same goes for the demoncrapic "debate" tonight. No way will I watch that horrible old broad rant and rave.
When it comes to a debate between the actual nominees, maybe I will watch that. It just might have some meaning. These pre-convention debates are nothing more than meaningless posturing, IMO.

"No way will I watch that horrible old broad rant and rave."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies