Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 06:28 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times

Advertisements

Where is the outrage that our PRESIDENT and most heads of Federal bureaus and departments are now Muslim? Folks need to wake up and be aware of what's happening!

Old 12-16-2015, 06:41 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Conversion also requires an element of will

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm pretty sure that's the exact phrase you have to say to convert to Islam.

So yeah....that's a bit disturbing. I wouldn't be okay with anyone trying to trick others into converting to any religion.
True enough, that is the phrase. However, Islam is a stickler for language. The convert has to proclaim it in Arabic. Translations of the Koran are allowed, but only as study guides, & they all refer back to Arabic. In order for prayers to be operative, they too must be in Arabic (MO - this last might be an over-simplification, but it seems accurate to what I've read).

Therefore, there is no conversion absent the knowing recitation of the phrase, in Arabic. & I didn't see anywhere in the URL where a pronunciation guide was provided, nor were the students asked to translate the phrase nor read it aloud. Did the students even know what the statement said?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
True enough, that is the phrase. However, Islam is a stickler for language. The convert has to proclaim it in Arabic. Translations of the Koran are allowed, but only as study guides, & they all refer back to Arabic. In order for prayers to be operative, they too must be in Arabic (MO - this last might be an over-simplification, but it seems accurate to what I've read).

Therefore, there is no conversion absent the knowing recitation of the phrase, in Arabic. & I didn't see anywhere in the URL where a pronunciation guide was provided, nor were the students asked to translate the phrase nor read it aloud. Did the students even know what the statement said?
Hopefully the teacher told them before the exercise.
It was a lesson on the ME and Islam, not art class.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I read what the English teacher said..that if she asked her students to copy passages from the Bible she would be fired.

And that's probably the truth.

But this..the school district backed up the teacher.
Why that phrase in particular ? Interesting as it's the first step in converting to Islam.

Yet another reason to send kids to private schools.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
The Daily Mail is a tabloid rag.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Where is the outrage that our PRESIDENT and most heads of Federal bureaus and departments are now Muslim? Folks need to wake up and be aware of what's happening!
Please give us a confirmed list.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:32 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
That teacher should be tossed out into the cold, dark streets pronto. Of all the ways to teach calligraphy, this is what she chose? Poor judgement, and inappropriate in a public school.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
The Daily Mail is a tabloid rag.
pretty much. doesn't mean they're wrong.

Students practice calligraphy by writing There is no god but Allah | Fox News

Old 12-16-2015, 07:56 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
A high school class of with presumably majority Christians students and not one said 'I am a Christian and I object and not doing this assignment'.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:29 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Classroom realities

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
That teacher should be tossed out into the cold, dark streets pronto. Of all the ways to teach calligraphy, this is what she chose? Poor judgement, and inappropriate in a public school.
No, teaching calligraphy wasn't the point of the exercise. It was to give students an appreciation for the script used to express the language. Nor did the teacher have control of the curriculum to be used, judging by the copy of the printed material in the URL.

That material was approved by

"The Virginia Department of Education found the lesson was in line with Virginia Standards of Learning for the study of monotheistic world religions." See Parents outraged over lesson on Islamic faith statement - para 4.

If she was teaching from the VA DOE & her local school board's adopted materials, then the complaints about the exercise & how appropriate it was for that class need to go back to the VA DOE & maybe her local school board. It depends on how much leeway the local board has on selecting textbooks & supporting curricular material for use in the classroom. Usually the state DOE makes those selections, but there is some variation across the states. The other question: Once the DOE & local school board adopt textbooks & related materials, Can the teacher omit materials in the classroom? (@ minimum, the approved textbook has to be used. My experience in HS was that we didn't actually get to all the chapters in the Social Studies textbook, though. I don't know if that was due to priorities set by the teacher or the school board, though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies