Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2015, 09:37 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Sure it is. Jesus was Jewish, most of the Apostles were Jewish. Jesus went into the Temple, talked about the Scriptures (the OT), quotes from the Scriptures, debated theological issues with the priests. Jesus' manner of reasoning is Jewish. Jesus - TMK - set out to create a religious movement within Judaism. It was only after Judaism largely refused to go along that Jesus & the Apostles turn to the gentiles. & 200 years later, more or less, the distinctions between Judaism & the new movement are sufficient to call it Christianity. But the family markers are still there.

& if the OT is not important to Christianity, why do Bibles include it?
That was answered in 140 AD concerning the Marcion heresy (which was the first consideration of an established "canon" of scripture. Essentially, the Church at that time elected to keep it for its historical value.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:43 PM

42 posts, read 11,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I'm not muslim. Nor would I ever be (unless, like in times past where not being catholic could get you killed, it becomes mandated). But seriously. In the US, at this time of year especially, can anyone honestly say that students learning how to write calligraphy in a different style representing hundreds of millions of people who are muslim in the way that their calligraphy would be used (I.E., 'There is no god but Allah), actually threaten those parents that are bent on instilling their religion on their children (assumingly Christian faith)? C'mmon, how many times is the word "Christmas" used in ONE commercial break on TV right now, nonetheless all the other Christian faith culture that dominates the country.

This is hyperbole.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:59 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, it doesn't.
But shall we go back to the Old Testament and talk about some of the atrocities there?
The OT is not a part of Christianity it was laws and life of the Jews. If one would read it and get past the parts they think are of a hateful God, they would see what even the Jews/Christians have accepted.

No, the God of Christianity and the God of Islam are not the same. First of all, the God of Christianity is a Trinity where the God of Islam is not. For Christianity and Islam to be equal, they would have to say the same things.

Many say that Christianity and Islam are the same, this fact separates the two. Muslims deny the deity of Christ and the fact that He was the Son of God.
Islam is a monotheistic religion that is centered upon the god Allah and “his prophet” Mohammed. Islam believes that Ishmael is the promised son and not Isaac. It says that it is the completion of the truth found in the Torah and Bible with the Quran being the final say. It believes that Mohammed is the final prophet and the “seal of the prophets”. It believes that the Torah and the Bible have both been corrupted over time.

The denying of Christ by Islam completely erases any hope of salvation for mankind. It was through Adam that sin’s consequences were brought to bear on man and without the hope that comes from the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, there is no way for a man to be restored to God. Jesus said in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the father but by me.” Without this Way, there can be no path to the Father. To deny Christ is to leave man without the only thing that can save him from an eternity separated from God.

The denying of Christ as the Messiah and the only hope for man is something that is foundational to Islam and required by all of its believers.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intotalshock View Post
I'm not muslim. Nor would I ever be (unless, like in times past where not being catholic could get you killed, it becomes mandated). But seriously. In the US, at this time of year especially, can anyone honestly say that students learning how to write calligraphy in a different style representing hundreds of millions of people who are muslim in the way that their calligraphy would be used (I.E., 'There is no god but Allah), actually threaten those parents that are bent on instilling their religion on their children (assumingly Christian faith)? C'mmon, how many times is the word "Christmas" used in ONE commercial break on TV right now, nonetheless all the other Christian faith culture that dominates the country.

This is hyperbole.
Is there a reason they could not have written Merry Christmas in calligraphy? Why the phrase about Allah? Allah is not Christian, Jesus or Christmas related.......being the time of year and all.....right?

Old 12-20-2015, 11:38 PM

50,793 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
Hey, I'm an atheist and libertarian. Point being that I failed to make clear is if you're going to teach Islam, I hope my post is part of the lesson plan.
Well, I'm not at all in line with the overall libertarian point of view (although it has its moments).

But, although I consider myself a Buddhist-Christian, as I have seen more of what religions can do -- which is all too often closer to evil than goodness (and I definitely include evangelical christianity as practiced in the United States), I have come to respect atheism more and more.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:56 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,022,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, it doesn't.
But shall we go back to the Old Testament and talk about some of the atrocities there?
Religion, particularly the desert trio is the problem. The (relatively) good news is that much of Christianity has become secularized. Islam, far less so (especially in recent years). In many Islamic countries opting out of the religion will (in theory) get you the death penalty. An additional problem is that 'moderate' religiosity in some ways helps facilitate the less so - respect on faith, respect 'em all. Dustbin of history? The lot well past its sell-by-date.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:57 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
"Frogs in the pot"
..or frying pan.

LET'S NOT STAND FOR IT

Where's the Freedom of Religion bunch now?? We can play that card! It's HOGWASH.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Sure it is. Jesus was Jewish, most of the Apostles were Jewish. Jesus went into the Temple, talked about the Scriptures (the OT), quotes from the Scriptures, debated theological issues with the priests. Jesus' manner of reasoning is Jewish. Jesus - TMK - set out to create a religious movement within Judaism. It was only after Judaism largely refused to go along that Jesus & the Apostles turn to the gentiles. & 200 years later, more or less, the distinctions between Judaism & the new movement are sufficient to call it Christianity. But the family markers are still there.

& if the OT is not important to Christianity, why do Bibles include it?
The key to understanding the relationship between the Christian and the Law is knowing that the Old Testament law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to reveal to the Israelites how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments, for example). Some of the laws were to show the Israelites how to worship God and atone for sin (the sacrificial system). Some of the laws were intended to make the Israelites distinct from other nations (the food and clothing rules). None of the Old Testament law is binding on Christians today. When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
..or frying pan.

LET'S NOT STAND FOR IT

Where's the Freedom of Religion bunch now?? We can play that card! It's HOGWASH.
If this was a Christian teacher, I am sure all of these posters would be much more outraged. Amazing how this teacher is being excused for picking a versus on who God IS.......when she could have easily picked a non-religious example and told the kids what they were writing.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
While I do not think the Shahadah is appropriate calligraphy for a history class composed primarily of non-Muslims.

Arabic caligraphy has a religious origin.

Written Arabic corresponds with the growth of Islam.. At the time the Qur'an was revealed, Arabic was still developing as a written form. The development of Arabic writing corresponds with the written forms of the Qur'an and the Qur'an is the basis for written Arabic. All Islamic Calligraphy and art is deeply intertwined.

The decoritive Qur'anic Scripts especially the Diwani script form the basis of Arabic art. Art is an important part of the history of the Islamic nations as it inspired the Architecture and all geometric art forms.

To understand the history of the Islamic Nations one should have an understanding of Islamic art which will nearly always be based upon Islamic Calligraohy which in turn will always be a religious phrase usually the Shahadah, The Bismillah, Allah or the 99 names of Allah. Even the geometric designs found in the Islamic nations are calligraphy and have a religious basis. A commonly seen design:

is repetitions of Allah in the Square Kufic script

Other common designs are based upon a Rose which represent Muhammad(saws) Islamic Calligrapy is always religious in nature and if a teacher is teaching a History of an Islamic Nation, Islamic calligraphy is part of that history. Although very few Islamic Nations are Arabic, Islamic calligraphy will be found in the homes and all public buildings.

Perhaps it would have been best if the teacher had just shown a picture of the Kalimah (Calligraphic Shahada) explained what it means and state it is found in most public buildings and homes in Islamic Nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies