Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 08:00 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Well, this comes after their pledge of allegiance to "One Nation, Under God," so I guess there's going to be a lot of confusion going around.

Look, if the school actually is commanding kids to convert, that's one thing, but learning about what Muslims believe is no scarier than learning about various other modern religions, or even technically dead ones, like the gods of ancient Greece and Rome... or are we now to be worried that our students may all convert to worshiping Zeus?

Old 12-21-2015, 08:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,030,475 times
Quote:
Technically BS!! allah IS NOT the God that Christians and Jews worship!!!!
Um, actually he is... so, technically, they are basically saying there is no God but God. I'd appreciate if people at least read up a bit on the so-called scary people that they so vigoriously fear and hate. Of course, if they did that, they might not find grounds for their hatred, and we can't have that.

Also, since when does saying "There is no God but Allah" magically convert you to Islam? What is this - a Harry Potter spell? Geez, if it's that easy, I've probably accidentally converted to dozens of religions over the years, and there's no way I'll have enough vacation time to take off for all their holy days!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:33 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,097,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Well, this comes after their pledge of allegiance to "One Nation, Under God," so I guess there's going to be a lot of confusion going around.

Look, if the school actually is commanding kids to convert, that's one thing, but learning about what Muslims believe is no scarier than learning about various other modern religions, or even technically dead ones, like the gods of ancient Greece and Rome... or are we now to be worried that our students may all convert to worshiping Zeus?

One nation under God is not the problem, nor is commanding kids to convert because they are not doing that. The problem is that they should not be teaching what muslims believe, or what Catholics believe, or what Jews believe in a public school. If the parents want the children to learn such things, that is what Sunday school is for.

There is plenty to teach in history/geography/world cultures/social studies without learning religion. I can guarantee you that when these kids graduate from high school they will not know the basics about how our state and federal government works, the Constitution, the presidents, the Civil War, the World Wars, the seven continents, the US states and their locations capitals major cities and their economies, and the same for other countries around the world. They will also not know how to read a map, which certainly gives a whole new meaning to the subject of Geography. And these idiot educators are having them practice calligraphy in Arabic, while the learning of penmanship in English was thrown out the window few years ago. Go figure!!!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:36 PM

50,752 posts, read 24,253,304 times
Quote:

There is plenty to teach in history/geography/world cultures/social studies without learning religion. ...
Clearly you don't understand culture.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
I don't know how learning to write Arabic will help in a geography class.
That's more along the lines of a social studies class.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:15 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Um, actually he is... so, technically, they are basically saying there is no God but God. I'd appreciate if people at least read up a bit on the so-called scary people that they so vigoriously fear and hate. Of course, if they did that, they might not find grounds for their hatred, and we can't have that.

Also, since when does saying "There is no God but Allah" magically convert you to Islam? What is this - a Harry Potter spell? Geez, if it's that easy, I've probably accidentally converted to dozens of religions over the years, and there's no way I'll have enough vacation time to take off for all their holy days!
While it is true that is all that needs to be done to convert to Islam. There are some qualifications required.

1. The person has to understand what it means.

2. They must believe it is true

3. They must say it with sincerity,have knowledge of what they are doing

and

4. Of their own informed free will.

In other words if a person really desires to be a Muslim they cando so instantly with no ritual required. But, no one can "accidentally" convert or be forced to.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 PM

335 posts, read 324,786 times
Alright....just explain this one.....a morning prayer was eliminated from public schools for obvious reasons. I'm OK with that. But..the only way for students to learn about Islam, geography and understand Arabic writing is to write "There is no other God than Allah" WTF!!!!! I'd laugh my arse off if this just wasn't just so pathetic............

Old 12-22-2015, 07:52 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
Alright....just explain this one.....a morning prayer was eliminated from public schools for obvious reasons. I'm OK with that. But..the only way for students to learn about Islam, geography and understand Arabic writing is to write "There is no other God than Allah" WTF!!!!! I'd laugh my arse off if this just wasn't just so pathetic............
I do not know if it possible to understand the Arab nations without a rudimentary knowledge of Islam. Although I do object to having non-Muslims attempting to write out the Shahadah or any Qur'anic phrases.

An interesting side note here, there was quite a hullabaloo not long ago when Malaysia made it illegal for non-Muslims to call God by the name Allah

Malaysia court rules non-Muslims cannot use 'Allah' - BBC News

Old 12-22-2015, 09:11 AM

1,261 posts, read 949,720 times
Quote:
There is plenty to teach in history/geography/world cultures/social studies without learning religion. I can guarantee you that when these kids graduate from high school they will not know the basics about how our state and federal government works, the Constitution, the presidents, the Civil War, the World Wars, the seven continents, the US states and their locations capitals major cities and their economies, and the same for other countries around the world. They will also not know how to read a map, which certainly gives a whole new meaning to the subject of Geography. And these idiot educators are having them practice calligraphy in Arabic, while the learning of penmanship in English was thrown out the window few years ago. Go figure!!!
How can you guarantee this? My middle schooler already knows quite a bit of what you've listed here, and he's learned it in public school. Now, penmanship is not one of the things on the list that he has mastered, but a) even the nuns in my past were not able to lead the majority of boys I went to school with to penmanship mastery and b) I really can't think of any benefit I've seen in my life from all of the hours I spent mastering penmanship, other than the compliments and (more often) gentle ribbing I get from the guys I work with when I sign an office card. The point of the calligraphy assignment was not to practice calligraphy, but to expose them to the most important art form in the Middle East.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:39 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times
Quote:
Most schools don't do the pledge. Plus, "under God" leaves it open to interpretation.......just like AA.

Quote:
You are missing the point.......Why do you agree with a school lesson claiming who God IS? This was a statement they were writing, not a here's your options. What happened to no God in school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.