Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 08:46 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Seems like every gun theead has the obligatory chest thumping and gun comparing. My gun is bigger than yers
No, you keep saying assault weapons but won't clarify what you think is an assault weapon. Just trying to get some clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 08:46 PM

461 posts, read 332,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I support gun rights, I just have a hard time understanding why you need an assault weapon to protect you from criminals?
Even though criminals have them, I'm just trying to think of a scenario where the average gun owner needs to use an assault weapon to protect himself. I guess if you are worried about a total breakdown of society..
Well 1. I enjoy defensive weapons 2. Its my constitutional right 3. Why wouldn't I want to have a rifle if the criminal does? And they will....gun control laws DON'T work now that much is obvious so why would they work when you take the rifles from law abiding citizens? Criminals will still find ways to get them. 4. I don't trust ANY government that wants to disarm its citizens....why would you? Unless you intend to harm them NO GOVERNMENT has ever disarmed its citizens for the good of the citizen. CRIMINALS will ALWAYS have guns. PERIOD. Criminals with guns-CHECK,Government with guns-CHECK,Law Abiding Citizens with guns-NOPE..Gee. What could POSSIBLY go bad there?

Old 12-16-2015, 09:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waw0231 View Post
Those numbers sway back and forth over time. Wouldn't read much into it.

Ya, kinda like it did before the civil war, compared to afterward.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,116,118 times
Quote:
I support gun rights but I really have a hard time seeing why assault weapons should be legal. There is no scenario that I can think of where someone needs one of these.
Self defense? Against what, a zombie horde? Just to own it because you can? I don't see where the risk of the weapon falling into the wrong hands because it wasn't secured
well or the owner has a mental breakdown or something is worth it. These weapons are, by design, exponentially more lethal than a handgun or a rifle.
We get a kick out of people like you that start the post with "I support gun rights" but then you dont.
You have a hard time; there is no scenario; and on and on about a subject you clearly don't understand.
Self defense is a valid need.
Zombies?

My affinity for guns may be different than my neighbor's. I have been an affectionado since the Seventies.
A firearm is the ultimate handheld machine. Their lockworks are ingenious.
They are designed to withstand incredible stesses reliably, and they are amazing to behold.

I enjoy all things mechanical. I like to take things apart and put them back together. That describes gun use and maintenance.
As you say, "I own it just because I can". I can afford them. It's my right, and is beyond needing your approval.

I like guitars as well. Do you have a hard time seeing why I need a Rickenbacker when a Fender would get the job done?
Again it's none of your business. I can afford them.
Spare me a retort that guitars can't kill. A Strat swung right would kill instantly.

I find it annoying to have to dispute posters that don't understand the differences, definitions, or ballistics of various weapons.
All firearms are lethal. That isn't a defect, that is superb design.

Try to educate yourself. Ask a friend that shoots if you can go to a gun range with them. Learn something new.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:20 PM

756 posts, read 424,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post

We get a kick out of people like you that start the post with "I support gun rights" but then you dont.
You have a hard time; there is no scenario; and on and on about a subject you clearly don't understand.
Zombies?

My affinity for guns may be different than my neighbor's. I have been an affectionado since the Seventies.
They are designed to withstand incredible stesses reliably, and they are amazing to behold.

I enjoy all things mechanical. I like to take things apart and put them back together. That describes gun use and maintenance.
As you say, "I own it just because I can". I can afford them. It's my right, and is beyond needing your approval.

I like guitars as well. Do you have a hard time seeing why I need a Rickenbacker when a Fender would get the job done?
Spare me a retort that guitars can't kill. A Strat swung right would kill instantly.

I find it annoying to have to dispute posters that don't understand the differences, definitions, or ballistics of various weapons.

Try to educate yourself. Ask a friend that shoots if you can go to a gun range with them. Learn something new.

Self defense is a valid need. Fine. I can agree with that. I just have a hard time understanding what possible self defense scenario would require an assault rifle designed for combat.
The next argument is people own them because they can.
My issue with that is the ease at which some people buy them for hobbies means other people can buy them and shoot up schools or movie theatres.

And I really don't care what you find annoying or don't. I am expressing my opinion on the subject in a public forum. Those are my FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!
If you find my opinions annoying no one says you have to read them or respond to them.

I also don't need you or anyone else to define what "I support gun rights" means to me.
Yeah... I believe there should be limits. People shouldn't be allowed to buy tanks or rocket launchers just because they can afford it or they admire the mechanical workmanship either.

My opinion is a gun that fires bullets in rapid succession that was designed for combat should be one of those limits as well.

We can get into stupid arguments about "everything can be lethal" or "criminals will get guns anyway" but when someone can buy a military grade assault weapon for a hobby, the fact is that some nutcase can also buy one and then shoot up a school or a workplace or a movie theatre and cause massive casualties.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:22 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,009,200 times
Quote:
Self defense is a valid need. Fine. I can agree with that. I just have a hard time understanding what possible self defense scenario would require an assault rifle designed for combat.
My issue with that is the ease at which some people buy them for hobbies means other people can buy them and shoot up schools or movie theatres.

And I really don't care what you find annoying or don't. I am expressing my opinion on the subject in a public forum. Those are my FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!
If you find my opinions annoying no one says you have to read them or respond to them.

I also don't need you or anyone else to define what "I support gun rights" means to me.
Yeah... I believe there should be limits. People shouldn't be allowed to buy tanks or rocket launchers just because they can afford it or they admire the mechanical workmanship either.

My opinion is a gun that fires bullets in rapid succession that was designed for combat should be one of those limits as well.

We can get into stupid arguments about "everything can be lethal" or "criminals will get guns anyway" but when someone can buy a military grade assault weapon for a hobby, the fact is that some nutcase can also buy one and then shoot up a school or a workplace or a movie theatre and cause massive casualties.

I can almost guarantee that no one here owns an assault rife that is designed for combat.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Right, so if two individuals have a mental breakdown and walk into a crowded area and start shooting people. One of them has a deer rifle and the other has an AK47, which of them is more dangerous?
Quote:
Key word being "if shot"
I think I'd have a much greater chance of being hit with an AK47
that depends on the deer rifle being used. some are semi autos, and fire just as many rounds per second as the AK does. as i said you have no clue what you are talking about, so please stop embarrassing yourself until such time as you get an education.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:28 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post

Zombies?

Everyone should know how to defend themselves. Some think they need guns to do that....some don't.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
Quote:
A rifle that's capable of killing or wounding lots of people by rapidly firing bullets from a clip without the need to worry about aiming as much.

Before someone says that both are lethal..

Behind door number one is a large room with a man shooting at you with a handgun.
Behind door number two is a large room with a man shooting at you with an assault weapon.
If you had to pick which door that you had to run to the opposite side with the best chance of survival
which would you pick?
I've never seen an "assault weapon" with a clip. Nor a clip that holds bullets. Let alone any firearm where you hit things without aiming. Where do I get one of these magic beauties? Hollywood?

Old 12-16-2015, 10:35 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:

My opinion is that you have no idea of the subject matter, otherwise you would know that the weapons being discussed are not fully automatic or select fire and are not designed for combat. It is further my opinion that before one attempts to discuss a topic, it is wise to educate oneself on the subject matter being addressed. We all have FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies