Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 03:01 PM

531 posts, read 501,538 times

Advertisements

The House voted on the tax extenders (i.e. breaks) bill today. Part of the confusion is that people here and in the media are calling tax breaks "spending". Title of the bill still mentions appropriations because all the tax stuff was added as an amendment to an older approps bill from earlier in the year. That's just the vehicle for all the late breaking stuff.

The omnibus appropriations bill is the $1.1 trillion measure that funds the whole government for FY16. I believe the House takes that up tomorrow. Senate takes up both pieces tomorrow.

pknopp: I listed the vote total of the tax bill because that was the one that Dbones was making his prediction on. In my bullets, I did assume that the omnibus will pass as well though. I think the tax extenders was the more uncertain of the two.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ok..confused now...

story was two bills

one the tax cuts 680b, today...which we just saw the results

the other was the 1.1t spending bill voted tomorrow...

did I read things wrong??

edit...from you cnn link
Gah. My apologies. Correct, this is one of the two bills.

BTW for real fun, tomorrow as part of the "deal" more Democrats will vote yes for the spending bill, and more Republicans will vote no.....just so that more of the Republicans can claim that they voted no on more spending.

edit-What John Dark said. Thank you John Dark for clarifying this so well.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:09 PM

33 posts, read 23,488 times
Default Congress is a collection of thieves,

This is the Merry Christmas spending bill....everyone got what they wanted from their failed bills throughout the year.[/quote]

You can be sure this will go on until the riff raff is voted out of there.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasherscolt View Post
This is the Merry Christmas spending bill....everyone got what they wanted from their failed bills throughout the year.

You can be sure this will go on until the riff raff is voted out of there.
what the Democrats got was not worth remotely what they gave up. And given the sheer scope of the betrayal of Republican ideals, this was a far far far worse deal for the Conservatives on CD.

Great news if your a wealthy businessman though. Let the good times roll.

edit to add:

wow...even Breitbart is not happy.
"Paul Ryan betrays America"
http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ation-america/

Extra note- I am not using breitbart as a place to get good news, im pointing out that even they feel betrayed. They are not a good place to get your news any more then mother earth news is.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:18 PM

531 posts, read 501,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
what the Democrats got was not worth remotely what they gave up.
One of the downsides of being in the minority party.

If the Democrats got as much or more than they gave up, I'd have to question Speaker Ryan's skills as a negotiator.

Besides, almost everything in the extenders bill is a tax break that has been in effect in the past. It's all on a two-year renewal cycle. The only significant differences this time are that a) many of the breaks had lapsed for all of 2015 (so the renewal is one year retroactive and one year forward) and b) a number of provisions were made permanent (which is the bigger deal).

Old 12-17-2015, 03:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
The House voted on the tax extenders (i.e. breaks) bill today. Part of the confusion is that people here and in the media are calling tax breaks "spending". Title of the bill still mentions appropriations because all the tax stuff was added as an amendment to an older approps bill from earlier in the year. That's just the vehicle for all the late breaking stuff.

The omnibus appropriations bill is the $1.1 trillion measure that funds the whole government for FY16. I believe the House takes that up tomorrow. Senate takes up both pieces tomorrow.

pknopp: I listed the vote total of the tax bill because that was the one that Dbones was making his prediction on. In my bullets, I did assume that the omnibus will pass as well though. I think the tax extenders was the more uncertain of the two.
If I missed that then sorry and thanks for the clarification.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:24 PM

Oh....Oh my. On breitbart...the comments for the article I linked? Wow. They are...upset. Like death threats are being made upset. Wow.

Comments about him now being a Muslim are there....yup. ahh..thats why he has the new beard! Obama converted him! LOL. wow.

Suddenly so many of the people I argue with here seem so completely reasonable now.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
what the Democrats got was not worth remotely what they gave up. And given the sheer scope of the betrayal of Republican ideals, this was a far far far worse deal for the Conservatives on CD.

Great news if your a wealthy businessman though. Let the good times roll.

edit to add:

wow...even Breitbart is not happy.
"Paul Ryan betrays America"
Paul Ryan Betrays America: $1.1 Trillion, 2,000-Plus Page Omnibus Bill Funds 'Fundamental Transformation of America' - Breitbart

Extra note- I am not using breitbart as a place to get good news, im pointing out that even they feel betrayed. They are not a good place to get your news any more then mother earth news is.
The Dems got plenty so don't kid yourself.

Both sides agreed to waive the requirement for cuts/taxes to offset new spending.

This was a Christmas present for all as they shoved as much pork into it as possible.

"No pork left behind" should have been the headlines.
Both Dems and Repubs pulled pieces from past failed bills and shoved it into this.
They all let each other do it in return for votes.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Oh....Oh my. On breitbart...the comments for the article I linked? Wow. They are...upset. Like death threats are being made upset. Wow.

Comments about him now being a Muslim are there....yup. ahh..thats why he has the new beard! Obama converted him! LOL. wow.

Suddenly so many of the people I argue with here seem so completely reasonable now.
Idiots didn't remember that Ryan is a RINO.

Obama is going to get what he wants next year before he leaves.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Idiots didn't remember that Ryan is a RINO.

Obama is going to get what he wants next year before he leaves.
really? So all of the other Republicans elected him speaker of the house, and he is a RINO? I mean think that through for a second. If he really is a RINO...why aren't they choosing someone else?

Also...still reading the comments from the article. Wow...just wow. Its.....wow. I feel unclean.

Every Conservative I argue with here.....except one....I love you all. You are such reasonable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies