Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 05:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, it is the mayor of New Orleans, not the whole state. I find it irrational to honor a cause that had the desire to keep slavery as a major part.
Not everyone sees slavery as the sole cause and driver of the Civil War.
Some can see the economic causes and the need for the states to stand up for their rights.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:16 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
I have spoken to American Civil War historians. And no, these were not "revisionist" types. These were people who are well-educated on this subject. I brought up the Articles of Secession. One man admitted that the desire to keep slavery was a major reason for secession. In fact, this is mentioned in the Articles of Secession, which has been posted on city-data many times.

The Reasons for Secession

http://www.civilwar.org/education/hi...moved-210.html

States' Rights

Slavery was a large part in this. States rights might have been part of it. However, it goes back to slavery, and the fear that it would have been abolished under Lincoln.

That is why I have no respect for anything related to the Confederacy. It is natural to hate a cause that is inherently detrimental to you. As someone who is the descendant of slaves, I look at the Confederate cause from that perspective.
I want to compliment you on your Honesty. All this "tear up graves, tearing down Monuments, burning old Virginia Battle Field Flags ....... has NOTHING to do with "traitor". The very FACT that the bloodiest WAR ever in our Country and the Amendments to our Constitution has made ZERO difference to this mentality. Not a single "slave owner" lives today, but that doesn't matter. Nothing matters except that it happened and nothing is ever going to "change" that in their minds.

It's ALL about the "stain" of Slavery and how people like the Black Lives Matter crowd will NEVER forget/forgive the fact that over 150 years ago - there were Black Slaves in the USA and around the world - they are evident still in other Nations, but they don't care about that. I wasn't kidding about the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument - Absolutely Nothing (including some sort of the Dream of Reparations) will EVER "change" this mentality of Victimhood. They raise their children on this forever Victimhood.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:39 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not everyone sees slavery as the sole cause and driver of the Civil War.
Some can see the economic causes and the need for the states to stand up for their rights.
I never said it was the sole cause. It was, however, a major cause. Articles of Secession says it. And yes, there was a "states' rights" part of it, and that partly had something to do with slavery. I've posted links showing that slavery was a major part of this. I can't support that, and won't.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:43 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I want to compliment you on your Honesty. All this "tear up graves, tearing down Monuments, burning old Virginia Battle Field Flags ....... has NOTHING to do with "traitor". The very FACT that the bloodiest WAR ever in our Country and the Amendments to our Constitution has made ZERO difference to this mentality. Not a single "slave owner" lives today, but that doesn't matter. Nothing matters except that it happened and nothing is ever going to "change" that in their minds.

It's ALL about the "stain" of Slavery and how people like the Black Lives Matter crowd will NEVER forget/forgive the fact that over 150 years ago - there were Black Slaves in the USA and around the world - they are evident still in other Nations, but they don't care about that. I wasn't kidding about the Jefferson Memorial and Washington Monument - Absolutely Nothing (including some sort of the Dream of Reparations) will EVER "change" this mentality of Victimhood. They raise their children on this forever Victimhood.
It was 150 years ago, followed by another 100+ years of Jim Crow and segregation and oppression and discrimination, much of which continues today. There are many, many people still alive who lived in and remember that world before Civil Rights. That's what these great Confederate "heroes" symbolize to them.

The only "victimhood" I see here on this thread are from the white southerners who don't want to give up the statues of their revered leaders, the ones who fought to keep human beings enslaved. Lots and lots of "victimhood" mentality there.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:44 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Stick a fork in it, it's done: After Lee Circle and company, New Orleans must grapple with other monuments, Mitch Landrieu says | NOLA.com

Old 12-17-2015, 05:44 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Why memorialize any history at all? It will surely offend someone.

Let's get rid of all the memorials in DC.
Jefferson and Washington owned salves... OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! from out money

People are offended by anything and everything now. They are outraged by microaggression. Do they now know what "micro" means? They are OUTRAGED by teeny tiny little meaningless things.

Nothing but thin skinned whiners.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
I never said it was the sole cause. It was, however, a major cause. Articles of Secession says it. And yes, there was a "states' rights" part of it, and that partly had something to do with slavery. I've posted links showing that slavery was a major part of this. I can't support that, and won't.
That is debatable and that's why the Civil War is one of the most hotly debated subjects in history.

It wasn't the slaves themselves, it was the right to own a slave to do the agricultural work.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:50 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
That is debatable and that's why the Civil War is one of the most hotly debated subjects in history.

It wasn't the slaves themselves, it was the right to own a slave to do the agricultural work.
I know it was about the right to own a slave. Being the descendant of slaves, I have no respect for that. I find it hypocritical to fight for the "freedom" to own someone. Wanting freedom, but denying someone else freedom, hypocrisy.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:52 PM

461 posts, read 333,146 times
Quote:
The historical facts are at our fingertips today with the internet.
Took me all of 5 minutes to look up the Supreme Court ruling and when it was.

But others here, as you have pointed out, just make their own version of history up.
Supreme Court issues OPINIONS. Also while on this topic The feds REFUSED to try Jefferson Davis for treason etc because he WANTED his chance in court....Salmon Chase refused to go on with it.

“If you bring these [Confederate] leaders to trial it will condemn the North, for by the Constitution secession is not rebellion. Lincoln wanted Davis to escape, and he was right. His capture was a mistake. His trial will be a greater one.”
Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase, July 1867 (Foote, The Civil War, Vol. 3, p. 765)

Also its funny how Chase later issued a opinion against secession when the case he issued it on had nothing to do with secession. Chase knew the states had and have every right to leave and only force will keep them in place.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:54 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I don't understand why a confederate state would remove its history.
Right there is the problem; identifying a state in the Union as a confederate state. As far as I know, there are no confederate states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies