Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:26 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times

Advertisements

before they learn how inappropriate it is?

Out of ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the words in the Arabic language, this brilliant teacher chose to have kids practice calligraphy using the phrase: "there is no god but allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah".... a phrase in which converts are forced to repeat with a sword to their throats.

Just un-freaking believable

District cancels school over Islamic lesson - Fox 5 NY | WNYW

and for those who say "Allah means God". No, it doesn't. Maybe it does to Muslims, but no Jew or Christian believes that. No one but Muslims believe in Mohammed or that he was God's last prophet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 10:29 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,074 times
I wouldn't write that garbage in class, sorry teacher.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:48 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Classes cancelled because of fear of violent anti-Muslim backlash.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:50 AM

More detail on the assignment:
Support for Riverheads teacher and Islam lesson

Not a wise assignment, the same as having students copy a bible verse in hebrew, but...

"I keep seeing the word 'indoctrination' being thrown around and, as an RHS [Riverheads High School, ] alumna, I take great offense to it," said Kari Watson. "I love this school, and Mrs. LaPorte is a wonderful teacher. It is outrageous to believe she is trying to convert anyone to Islam. Please, choose your media outlets wisely and be aware of what you're spreading."

The calligraphy assignment came from a workbook created by teachers called "World Religions." It was not an assignment LaPorte made up herself. The instructions for the assignment said, "Here is the shahada, the Islamic statement of faith, written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy."

Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
If my kids got that for homework, the teacher and principal would have gotten an ear-full and a refusal to participate.

Any teacher pushing that kind of assignment in this day and age needs their head examined.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Classes cancelled because of fear of violent anti-Muslim backlash.
Good. What did they expect? You can't say Merry Christmas in schools anymore but they can do this crap for an assignment? Aren't you for keeping religion out of schools or no?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:54 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:

Not a wise assignment but..

"I keep seeing the word 'indoctrination' being thrown around and, as an RHS [Riverheads High School, ] alumna, I take great offense to it," said Kari Watson. "I love this school, and Mrs. LaPorte is a wonderful teacher. It is outrageous to believe she is trying to convert anyone to Islam. Please, choose your media outlets wisely and be aware of what you're spreading."

The calligraphy assignment came from a workbook created by teachers called "World Religions." It was not an assignment LaPorte made up herself. The instructions for the assignment said, "Here is the shahada, the Islamic statement of faith, written in Arabic. In the space below, try copying it by hand. This should give you an idea of the artistic complexity of calligraphy."
Ok, since not all Nazis were evil, can schools draw the Swastika in art class now too?

Old 12-18-2015, 10:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
Quote:

Not a wise assignment, the same as having students copy a bible verse in hebrew, but..

I didn't think the teacher was trying to convert the kids, but you're not allowed to say Merry Christmas in many schools now, or the pledge! but having kids write there is no god and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah is A OK??

imagine if the assignment was for them to write JESUS SAVES.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Good. What did they expect? You can't say Merry Christmas in schools anymore but they can do this crap for an assignment? Aren't you for keeping religion out of schools or no?
Absolutely, keep all religion out (ex when discussing religions) including copying this Koran verse.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I didn't think the teacher was trying to convert the kids, but you're not allowed to say Merry Christmas in many schools now, or the pledge! but having kids write there is no god and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah is A OK??

imagine if the assignment was for them to write JESUS SAVES.
Not OK to make students copy out any religious verse. The teacher made a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies