Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:26 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Anything having to do with the brain is considered a mental illness. And we are talking about millions of people. The majority don't go out and kill people though.
You should read the article it is stating that the police are killing the mentally ill.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 12:27 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The war on crazy marches on.

Although it's not the guy on the street talking to himself that will be on the governments crazy list.
More like neglect....

Old 12-20-2015, 06:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
This thread is not about gun ownership it is about cops killing the mentally ill.........with guns LOL
So the problem is the cops. Thanks for stating the obvious.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:20 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
A new study released last week by the Virginia-based nonprofit Treatment Advocacy Center reported that people with untreated mental illness are 16 times more likely to be killed by police than people without.

Mental Illness: A Smoking Gun*|*Dr. Peggy Drexler

Perhaps it is more humane to just round up the mentally ill and euthanize them like Hitler did before he turned his sights on the Jewish people.....

Depends what the person is doing at the time, should be added to that figure. Of course, if a guy is nuts and shooting people or threatening them with death and/or a weapon, its "likely" he will be shot by police. On the other hand, a person who suggests that mentally disturbed people should be killed, is not likely to be shot by Police. Mental Illness is like the Sahara. Covers a lot of Territory. It can be simple Depression, or Criminal Insanity. Where would you start, and if you did, then "you" would be in this area too.

On top of that, who gets to decide and what criteria do you use? Pick out everyone that does not agree with you? People that have too radical views opposite yours, in your opinion? Maybe we should start with Dr. Peggy?

Old 12-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
You should read the article it is stating that the police are killing the mentally ill.....

I think that article is wrong. The Police are all equal opportunity. You don't have to be Mentally Ill to be killed by Police. Anyone will do. Crazy, Sane, Man, Woman, Child, or Dog. No Racism or Discrimination.

Old 12-20-2015, 06:47 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
I have a daughter, now 30 years old, who for three years (15 - 18 y.o.) battled a very deep depression. She attempted 3 times, was cutting, and was in and out of hospitals and halfway houses. I suppose with that experience I believe I have some understanding of mental illness.

The article in its simplest terms states the mentally ill are 16 times more at risk for death by police than people without mental illness. Mentally ill people, even if once in their lives were stereotypically normal, become dangerous. A mentally ill person may or may not have a gun (that's a separate and more dangerous discussion), but can pose the same threat to the police. The article mentions the possibility of police having a lack of training in dealing with the mentally ill. I find that statement 99.9% Ivory pure. A therapist at one of the hospitals my daughter passed through was one of only two people my wife and I respected out of the entire field of professionals in the field. He admitted to us that the treatment of mental health is barely a century old. The ability to totally communicate with someone mentally ill is in its infant stages. When the ill change their rationalization from the real world to some tangent, that person is alone because no one around them, including their parents or close ones, have the ability to truly understand what is going on. I can't really blame the police, because that can be a scary real world confrontation. I saw my 85 year old Dad go through an episode in an elderly rehab center (he was very sick Feb-Mar 2015), and it took 4 people to restrain him. He was downright scary, and was on adrenaline pushing himself like I haven't seen in decades.

Add a gun to a person like that, and now the whole gun control angle comes into play. My daughters issues never involved guns. In short, the day that changed my life forever, she took 70 Tylenol, and according to ER I was probably under 10 minutes from saving her life. For the next 3 years she was somebody else, and I lived under a black cloud 24/7. I can't imagine what could have happened if she had a gun. And I tend to lean on the side of more gun control.

I have final thought tying the mentally ill person, the higher risk of them being killed by police, and with the possibility of the ill person having a gun. Here's a saying to summarize my thoughts on this subject/debate: "Guns don't kill people, people do". I believe the police are at higher risk with the mentally ill, and in confrontation the mentally ill could skew any which way with their temperament. If that person had a gun, what else should the police do? I assume police are taught to assess risk in a confrontation. I can imagine a number of scenarios where any "sane" human being would fear for their lives and others, police or not. The breakdown happens (the higher risk), whether it can be fully contained or not, from training. If you've never dealt with a mentally ill person before, then I cannot explain the definition of fear in this instance. I also have a 1st cousin who has a slew of mental issues. Unless the police are properly trained, this higher risk will always exist. And, even though I believe in somehow tightening gun control, I have no answers, and will not acquiesce to the gun control extremists. Call me being on the fence, but I feel the gun issue is more about people than the guns they possess.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:15 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
A person comes at you with a weapon, you don't pause to psychoanalyze them. Cops aren't shrinks anyway.
It makes sense that someone who is deranged, would be much more likely to die from an interaction with cops. Sane people tend to yield and not let the situation escalate into a death by cop encounter.
I wonder how much this study cost the tax payer?

Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
A person comes at you with a weapon, you don't pause to psychoanalyze them. Cops aren't shrinks anyway.
It makes sense that someone who is deranged, would be much more likely to die from an interaction with cops. Sane people tend to yield and not let the situation escalate into a death by cop encounter.
I wonder how much this study cost the tax payer?
The kind of "mental illness" that gets people killed by the police is not the kind that is treated with psychoanalysis (even though that was not the point you were making - you were speaking to the acute, sometimes split-second kind of encouters).

Schizophrenia and Bi-polar mania are the brain diseases that can cause this kind of behavior in undertreated or untreated people - which, incidently the person has no conscious control over. These are medical disorders that are treated with medicine, not psychoanalysis. -People that sick need specialized housing and should not be living in the community under the kinds of conditions they are living in ...often with family. Unfortunately, because of this, the police are often first responders to what are medical crises and they should be properly trained. They are dealing with people who are tragically sick - not criminals.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
Schizophrenia and Bi-polar mania are the brain diseases that can cause this kind of behavior in undertreated or untreated people - which, incidently the person has no conscious control over. These are medical disorders that are treated with medicine, not psychoanalysis. -People that sick need specialized housing and should not be living in the community under the kinds of conditions they are living in ...often with family. Unfortunately, because of this, the police are often first responders to what are medical crises and they should be properly trained. They are dealing with people who are tragically sick - not criminals.

Unfortunately, There is no "Proper" Training for such encounters, where the person is acting out in an abnormal sense. Police are not Doctors, nor can they differentiate, in most cases if a person is sick or just plain crazy, and can still be a perceived threat to a normal human being, in either case. In defense of Police, which I do have a lot of criticism for, in a situation where a person that seems out of control of their actions would be perceived as a threat, and a wrong move would get them injured or shot, by any person, Cop or not. My "Duty" would be to protect myself first, render the other person harmless, whatever that method would be. After that, we would determine why. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:55 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Define mental illness.

That is a very good question that I wish more people would ask in earnest. Unfortunately, people use that terminology all the time without having a clue as to what it really means.

I'm certainly no medical pro, but I will say that there is a huge difference between what it is and what folks think it is. Most people thing serious "mental illnesses" such as bi-polar and schizophrenia are emotional problems, or psychological problems, or personality disorders...or use terms like mentally disturbed, or so-and-so has mental health problems.

Bi-polar and schizophrenia are not really any of the above. However, because most people think that is what it is, we have legislators in this country making laws that give us cruel and absurd verdicts such as 'Guilty but Mentally Ill' - as if mentally is is just something that means "troubled" or "emotionally disturbed" and that leaves the door only an inch or two open to some kind of very very slightly lesser punishment.

Sz, for example is so severly damaging and disruptive to the human consciousness (not moral conscience, but the automated stream of consciousness that attends wakefulness), so disrupts perceptions that connect us with reality, with the brain just making up its own reality with the victim of the illness having little to absolutely no ability to audit and control their behaviors...that to have the police shooting people so sick and juries convicting them and incarcerating them because their brain diseases are 100 percent misunderstood by most people is a real tragedy.

Last edited by Perryview22; 12-20-2015 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies