Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 03:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
You really took that statement as a snark?!? Really?! Wow... I made absolutely no snark about your husband. All I stated was a degree is determined not by time spent on it, but the hours required, which you probably already know. And I really don't care about your husband and his degree. You asked about my degree and I told you. Now who's assuming?

I said my husband took 9 years to get a PhD and you said: "It's not material how long it took him to achieve his degree. Many take less time, if they go full-time." I never indicated if he went full or part time, so how was that relevant, at all, except as a little dig. It's generally very unusual to pursue a PhD like that part time, which an educator should know.

In terms of your teaching, was it in a public K-12 setting? Were you a full time teacher with their salary, benefits and schedule? How long did you do it? Answers to these questions would determine whether you have any basis for comparison.

Yes. No. a couple years. But no, I don't know squat about it. You are absolutely right.

"Waffling"? Really?!? You call that waffling. I'm seriously reconsidering my opinion of your reading skills. I gave you a statement that indicates most contracts are longer and that the world is bigger than Denver. How hard is that to understand? And you still didn't answer my very specific questions on my and other teacher's time spent outside the classroom.

That is a personal attack. Want to get this thread shut down, keep on posting like that. We're done.

I don't know who AMSS is, their situation or profession. To be honest, I really don't care. As for your comment concerning "my friend", you might want to take your own advice about assumptions.

But in one aspect, you are correct. I usually stay away from absolutes like "all" "every", etc., and use qualifiers like "almost", usually", "virtually ", etc. In this case I didn't. There is a small handful of teachers that do complain about time, salary, etc. But I would think that someone of your experience and knowledge would already this this and I wouldn't have to use terms. I think you're just now arguing for the heck of it as there's really no meat whatsoever to your latest posts nor did you really respond to the more important aspects of my last two posts... your nitpicking.
(Mine above in color)
Done.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-22-2015 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-22-2015, 03:46 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,307,407 times
My wife is a teachers aide for Autistic kids (20+ years), and my DIL is a 2nd grade teacher (6 years). Both shop for tools and guides their schools don't provide, without reimbursement. Most parents don't pay their share of supplies for the school and guess who makes up the difference. NO kid does without. Neither is paid OT when they have to go to school events. Neither will have health insurance, if they make it to retirement. In the past year, my wife was bitten, punched, kicked, scratched, and hit with various objects. This happens every year. Some of the children aren't potty trained, guess who cleans them up? She has had numerous training classes and doesn't recieve reimbursement. Trust me, they aren't in it for the money.

I can't speak for California, but in Florida they are not overpaid. I think they deserve every penny they get, especially when athletes make the obscene amounts of money these days.

BTW, most children aren't disciplined for hurting teachers, especially the autistic kids. But the wife has been investigated numerous times after the altercations. She has never been found guilty of any wrongdoing, but every accusation goes on her record, and it does affect raises. She does not make 20,000 year.

I think they deserve every penny they get, especially when athletes make the obscene amounts of money these days.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:23 PM

45,243 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
Yes. Because free market education of kids is the way to go.... Maybe we should put police and firemen on merit pay too. See if any scandals evolve out of that.
Yes it is. Brick and mortar government education centers will go the way of the dodo eventually and young people will get the chance develop critical thinking skills.
Why are you talking about firemen and police on this thread?

Old 12-22-2015, 06:14 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,450,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
My wife is a teachers aide for Autistic kids (20+ years), and my DIL is a 2nd grade teacher (6 years). Both shop for tools and guides their schools don't provide, without reimbursement.
I AGREE WITH YOUR TOTAL POST. I do have one question ... Don't teachers get a $250 income tax deduction for school supplies? It is my understanding that this is Federal not State.

El Nox

Old 12-22-2015, 06:59 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nox View Post
I AGREE WITH YOUR TOTAL POST. I do have one question ... Don't teachers get a $250 income tax deduction for school supplies? It is my understanding that this is Federal not State.

El Nox
Yup. But it is capped at $250, and most - but not all - of my colleagues exceed this each year, so they deduct the rest by itemizing. I never excess the standard deduction so I end up losing the rest.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:56 PM

314 posts, read 401,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Sorry for the typos in the title... SNF and typing don't mix

I just found out my Aunt, a teacher of 25 years and who works for a rather small PSS (under 1200 teachers) in SoCal, has a base pay of $86,000 + $22,000 in benefits. She teaches a class of first graders, and has an assistant. She is in her seventies and refuses to retire until she maxes her retirement to 80-85% of full pay.

Is this underpaid?
Tell your children. Tell them that their teachers are overpaid and so is your aunt. Why gripe on the internet? Make it a teachable moment.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:03 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,626,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
(Mine above in color)
Done.
I did not see a personal attack. He asked you questions and then asked again when you didn't respond.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:26 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,392,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
2013-14 Teacher Salaries Statewide Report

Scan down to Boston, you are correct in that I was mistaken, I underrepresented the pay.
Again, that reflects the data in my link. you are still completely off base thinking they make it into the 1%. I explained this quite clearly.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:00 PM

50,882 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I don't think anyone is saying the money is 'so great", however,for the amount of hours they work, they are not "underpaid". I am a nurse, save lives. I make about what some teachers make. I will never be rich, but I am certainly not underpaid.
I understand what you're saying. But I would like to point out a couple of things.

Yes, there is "Christmas vacation" and "Easter vacation". We don't have office parties, however, as many do in the private sector. And most people have off at least 1 day for Christmas and 1 day for New Years if they don't occur on the weekend.

Teachers in most systems go to work one week before school starts, and work several days after students leave at the end of the year.

While in education, every 5th year there was one summer I didn't get vacation because it was back to college to get recertified. And, just for the record, I had a Bachelors Degree, Masters Degree, advanced degree just short of a doctorate, and enough individual credits that they equaled another Masters Degree. Not all teachers have that background, but recertifcation is mandatory, and in most states every 5 years.

As an administrator, I also worked 44-55 hour weeks, often so you parents could come to school for PTA meetings, special events, and so forth. And BTW, a 44 hour week was rare...usually more like 50.

Now, I'm not complaining. I got good pay and very good benefits while I put up with a few rotten kids (most were great) and a few ahole parents (most were great).

Now, I could go on and make some slams against nurses -- without exaggerating a bit -- but I know that the vast majority of you work hard and do great things, and put up with outrageous hours and often ill treatment from doctors. Yes, you as a nurse sometimes save lives, but to be honest with you, most nurses don't save many lives, if any. And, not all teachers are good and competent, but sometimes we make lives.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:02 PM

50,882 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGAKARL View Post
Because I can stick it to these executives and middle manager bureaucrats by not buying their products or paying for their services. For the most part, anyway.

When my property taxes go up 500 a year to fulfill teacher pensions and salaries yet the constituent schools are still mediocre, the only thing I can do is move out of town (aside from not paying of course).
And what do you do for a living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies