Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 12:33 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
So you're saying that starting out at $29-33k a year is an acceptable salary for a teacher? That's low enough to qualify for welfare in many situations.
As I said, the absolute minimum a first year teacher in my area would earn is 30k (by law). Most will start closer to 35k. BUT a good house can be bought for 50k.
And don't forget their benefits are decent.
So nope, not going to convince ME that these folks are living in poverty (but then again, I work with the poor day in and day out, so I know what poverty really means).

I supplemented my teaching salary by working in the potato house or driving a potato truck during harvest. I also would coach, etc. I liked doing it. That all brought me in another 5 k per year, on top of a 25 k salary (this was 25 years ago).

Old 01-01-2016, 02:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
As I said, the absolute minimum a first year teacher in my area would earn is 30k (by law). Most will start closer to 35k. BUT a good house can be bought for 50k.
And don't forget their benefits are decent.
So nope, not going to convince ME that these folks are living in poverty (but then again, I work with the poor day in and day out, so I know what poverty really means).

I supplemented my teaching salary by working in the potato house or driving a potato truck during harvest. I also would coach, etc. I liked doing it. That all brought me in another 5 k per year, on top of a 25 k salary (this was 25 years ago).
So your reasoning is it isn't poverty because it wasn't poverty for you?

I see. So anecdotal evidence trumps factual information for you.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:34 PM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
It is usually two years until tenure. At any age level.
It is almost impossible to fire teachers. I know: I was a union rep.
Any STEM teacher, or specialty teacher, can find a job almost anywhere.
Baloney, as a principal I fired or got rid of more than one. If you can make your case with evidence, it's not difficult. And if it is difficult, they probably shouldn't be fired, but may need assistance.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:33 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
So your reasoning is it isn't poverty because it wasn't poverty for you?

I see. So anecdotal evidence trumps factual information for you.

I have worked closely with thousands of families in my area, at all income levels. I know the dynamics of poverty and employment in my area very well. I would hardly call that "anectdotal".

It wasn't poverty for me, no. And since then, teacher salaries in my area have only risen (in both hard dollars and also in relative terms to others).

I have given you figures and factual information for my area. You simply can't see beyond your blinders.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:53 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,095 times
Quote:
I have worked closely with thousands of families in my area, at all income levels. I know the dynamics of poverty and employment in my area very well. I would hardly call that "anectdotal".

It wasn't poverty for me, no. And since then, teacher salaries in my area have only risen (in both hard dollars and also in relative terms to others).

I have given you figures and factual information for my area. You simply can't see beyond your blinders.
So I have blinders because I can see beyond your area? That makes sense.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:43 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
I think it's pretty interesting when you read the posts in this thread by self proclaimed teachers they are mostly very angry and defensive. None of them are saying they should have opportunities to work more and earn more money. They all just want it handed to them. Just more evidence of how corrupt that profession has become.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:47 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I think it's pretty interesting when you read the posts in this thread by self proclaimed teachers they are mostly very angry and defensive. None of them are saying they should have opportunities to work more and earn more money. They all just want it handed to them. Just more evidence of how corrupt that profession has become.
That's an interesting take. My read on this thread has been quite different. No, I'm not a teacher.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:43 AM

18,463 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Teacher Salaries By State | Average Salaries For Teachers | Beginning Salaries For Teachers | Teacher Raises | TeacherPortal.com

Yeah, clearly some of those states are just rolling in it. But at least the school system for their benefits right? Except that's not actually an across the board thing. A lot of school districts make you pay for your benefits. That retirement though, that's a solid bump of at least $40k+ a year so that most the states can actually reach that six figure mark you're claiming teachers make after all is said and done right?

As for job security, there are a lot of places in this country right now where finding a teaching job is near impossible. Tenure also doesn't really exist in most grade schools. That's more a university/college thing.
I'm not saying that teachers make too much by any means, but the averages on that site seem very low for my area in NJ. We have a website that lists every teacher and their salary, and I rarely see salaries below $60k. And they go up to $130k. We even have gym teachers and music teachers making 6 figures. Maybe the teachers in the southern part of the state make less than up in the NYC area, but I can't imagine it is so much less that it brings the average down so significantly. As an example, here is one town in Northern NJ...

NJ Teacher Results

Old 01-04-2016, 01:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Day shift, no weekends, no holidays, all summer off and making more then a nurse. Sorry, overpaid.
You are completely clueless if you think the only time teachers work is during the school day. Many teachers spend more time on lesson planning, grading papers, conferences, updating certifications, training on new teaching methods, etc. than they spend teaching, so it can easily be an 80+ hour job.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:43 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm not saying that teachers make too much by any means, but the averages on that site seem very low for my area in NJ. We have a website that lists every teacher and their salary, and I rarely see salaries below $60k. And they go up to $130k. We even have gym teachers and music teachers making 6 figures. Maybe the teachers in the southern part of the state make less than up in the NYC area, but I can't imagine it is so much less that it brings the average down so significantly. As an example, here is one town in Northern NJ...

NJ Teacher Results

AMD the NJ average for a teacher is about $67,000. I believe you are in . I would bet the average around you is closer to $80,000.
In Ocean county the high salary is $85,000 in some towns.

Here is link for teachers in Milburn not supervisors

http://php.app.com/edstaff/results2....&Submit=Submit

What do you think a middle class salary is in NJ?

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-04-2016 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies