Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:29 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Mid-80k's is overpaid to you?

In my line of work (engineering) in my area, someone after a couple years of experience is expected to be paid in the mid-80k's, and they are still considered newbies.
Difference being is you engineer....she teaches......you know what they say, those that "can't"...."teach"....I'd says She's overpaid mostly due to that pension. It's ridiculous for the taxpayers to pay that ransom. Fortunately, they are all starting to modify pensions.....

Example, the city of Houston's budget. 30 years ago, 6-7% of t he city's budget went to pensions.....today? It's 20% of their budget...20%.... One tax dollar out of five. And they voted it up internally for 30 years. You think the taxpayers in SoCal can afford 80-85% of a first grade teachers pay, for as long as they live, plus acces to their medical plan, WITH COLA raises...forever? LOL!

Wonder why your taxes in SoCal are outrageous? Heeeerrrrrrres your sign......now, multiply that tax burden times every cop, fireman, meter maid, city official, water and sewer, road crew, zoning inspector, housing inspector, raise tax revenue by miscellaneous fine inspector...across all of SoCal???

Time for aggressive pension reform. Toss them ALL on a 401K juuuuuuust like the constituents they "serve".

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 12-20-2015 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Sorry for the typos in the title... SNF and typing don't mix

I just found out my Aunt, a teacher of 25 years and who works for a rather small PSS (under 1200 teachers) in SoCal, has a base pay of $86,000 + $22,000 in benefits. She teaches a class of first graders, and has an assistant. She is in her seventies and refuses to retire until she maxes her retirement to 80-85% of full pay.

Is this underpaid?
Your Aunt has 25 years worth of raises and what are the 22,000 in benefits ?????

Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Sorry for the typos in the title... SNF and typing don't mix

I just found out my Aunt, a teacher of 25 years and who works for a rather small PSS (under 1200 teachers) in SoCal, has a base pay of $86,000 + $22,000 in benefits. She teaches a class of first graders, and has an assistant. She is in her seventies and refuses to retire until she maxes her retirement to 80-85% of full pay.

Is this underpaid?
Her and her employer negotiated a deal. Good for both of them.

Now go get yours. Or not.

Up to you.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post

Lots of people have college degrees. They are working all year, working holidays, and working weekends to get their smaller paycheck.
Most people work a 40 hour work week, which means they get 2 days off a week and usually dont work holidays.

While there are indeed people who fit your description, they are few and far between.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:45 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your Aunt has 25 years worth of raises and what are the 22,000 in benefits ?????
That would be STRS and healthcare. Teachers don't pay SS, and the state pays into their CalSTRS... bet you didn't know that. Most states have similar deals.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:57 PM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
What I've heard was that high school teachers' salaries are higher than college professors. Is that true? Are elementary school teachers paid even more than high school teachers?
Many colleges have switched from hiring tenure-track professors and instead hire PhDs for lecturer positions. These positions often pay very poorly. The issue in this case is not that teachers are paid too much, but that people who have worked 10 years or more for their degree are grossly undervalued.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:20 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
My niece is a teacher in the lower grades in a middle-to-upper class neighborhood. She's been stabbed, spit at, kicked and has to deal with temper tantrums not to mention the little kids who pee their pants before they can get to the bathroom and the parents who think their off-springs can do no wrong. She also has to do continuing classes in the summers to keep up her degree. They earn their pay.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:21 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
All I asked was "Is this underpaid?"

Jeez... a person can't even ask a simple question in here without people adding in their own assumptions, and then getting worked up over their own imaginations.

Again... I only asked a question which nobody seems to want to answer, rather choosing to throw in your two cents for whatever reasons. .

Doesn't seem like you came to ask a simple question. Sounds more like you were trying to score a point.

Quote:
And, to the engineer, as I posted; her actual income is $108k teaching 1st grade. Keep in mind that is 9 months a year. If she works summer school she makes more.

I thought you said she was paid $86 with $22 in benefits. That's not the same as $108 income you're trying to imply. Pay and benefits are two different things and that's the problem with including them in an argument as "income" because it's intentionally trying to mislead readers into comparing the pay and benefits of the profession under attack with their direct pay only without including their benefits. Manipulating the data to create a false impression.

Quote:
That would be STRS and healthcare. Teachers don't pay SS, and the state pays into their CalSTRS... bet you didn't know that. Most states have similar deals.

And they don't receive SS benefits either. So if they don't receive it, they wouldn't pay into it.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:30 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What part of NYS. Huge difference from NYC and upstate.

LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
What neither of you appear to know is the number of hours spent outside of the school day preparing for class.
If you seriously believe teachers do not work weekend, holidays and have all summer off you have no clue what you are talking about.

Noo-F'ing-Hoo.. Once your profession gets above "Do you want fries with that?" it's not unexpected or uncommon to do off job training, classes, research, and prep to stay in your position. Please let me know when schools are open Christmas, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc. Or are open on weekends. Or regular classes scheduled 12 months of the year.

I don't know a single person that doesn't spend a few hours a week outside of the job keeping current, reading journals, or doing some sort of home-study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Most people work a 40 hour work week, which means they get 2 days off a week and usually dont work holidays.

While there are indeed people who fit your description, they are few and far between.
Whom are you speaking that get EVERY weekend, EVERY holiday, (almost) EVERY night (with rare exception for conference) and EVERY summer off? Not retail. Not business. Not healthcare. Not Police/Fire. Not home services (contractors, plumbers, electricians). Not food services. Not even banking (which seem to be closed every time I am off).

Mind you I have a bunch of family in teaching. The 3-6 days during the summer for meeting, class prep, and other odds and ends doesn't account for much. And once your grade-placed and stay in-grade your basics are covered and just need updating/tweaking with curriculum changes which are every 5-7 years.

Old 12-20-2015, 10:56 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
The teachers here in So Cal are NOT UNDERPAID!!! The teachers unions and other public unions have raided the coffers to the point of being on the verge of being criminal, I mean just god damn criminal. There are a couple of talk show radio dj's here that are always talking about all of the various sweetheart deals that the teachers union here has secured.... Gets me f ing hot just thinking about it..... they care more about their benefits and salaries than the damn kids, I swear.... I mean it sure seems like it some times.

CALPERS, the state and city employees unions are gonna end up bankrupting the state, the pay/benefits and retirements are just way way way too generous and are gonna end up bankrupting the state, Fresno up in northern Ca has already filed bankruptcy citing the city employee benefits packages as being a reason....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies