Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 09:13 AM

1,050 posts, read 698,679 times

Advertisements

I suppose there are complainers/whiners no matter the field.

Tell me, where in this world is there a perfect work environment, where the providers of services in a corporation get what they deserve and where all of them provide the most excellent service. And also where the ones who are in charge of the whole outfit care about both their employees and patrons.

Show me perfect please! An educational system can't/won't be perfect, neither will teachers, students, or parents. What comes across to me is that broad brush stokes are painted, sure some teachers may be overly payed--so many more are not.

I'm sure our broken health care system is one major driving factor in the increase in cost of pensions.

You can't measure the output of education so cut and dry the way you would judge a well made car, house, software, or business model. You're trying to measure success in a human. How you gonna do that so cut and dry exactly? Testing plays a role, but should not be abused.

Part of an effective administration in a school is to check a teacher's performance. Sadly administration can't do this anymore since "testing" so far has been the measure. And such a bad one.

Sure teaching may not be that difficult in a classroom where children are there to learn as opposed to those classrooms where the majority of children are not brought up to value learning, but that's not the teachers' fault.

Teachers ideally are facilitators and teaching is usually chosen as a profession by those who value the role teachers play in society. But this principle applies to the other professions as well--if you care to do x you get the training to do it well, to be qualified, if you can.

Teaching is no different, those who care to teach do, and those who don't "care" about teaching may still do, but that applies to the other professions as well.

Teachers deserve pay allowing them to care for their families--to have a house, buy food, to care for their families--just like any other profession. Granted many people have degrees and can't afford to do that, but that's another discussion. Teachers take care of your children while you're working (or not). They deserve a middling pay at least. They do have a very important task, to you and in turn to society.

A democracy cannot survive unless the society is a sufficiently educated one.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
If it's so good then why don't you go get a teaching job. It cracks me up to hear all of those complaining about how overpaid the job is, yet there aren't many qualified to teach science and math in our country's schools.
I live in Miami and the starting teaching job is 40k, the average teacher gets paid less than 50k.
Would it make any difference if I told you that in my city, a married teacher couple makes almost enough to be considered 1 percenters?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So, the risk factors you listed are a death sentence. Got it!
You evidently didn't get it! Risk factors are just that, factors that increase your risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
I suppose there are complainers/whiners no matter the field.

Tell me, where in this world is there a perfect work environment, where the providers of services in a corporation get what they deserve and where all of them provide the most excellent service. And also where the ones who are in charge of the whole outfit care about both their employees and patrons.

Show me perfect please! An educational system can't/won't be perfect, neither will teachers, students, or parents. What comes across to me is that broad brush stokes are painted, sure some teachers may be overly payed--so many more are not.

I'm sure our broken health care system is one major driving factor in the increase in cost of pensions.

You can't measure the output of education so cut and dry the way you would judge a well made car, house, software, or business model. You're trying to measure success in a human. How you gonna do that so cut and dry exactly? Testing plays a role, but should not be abused.

Part of an effective administration in a school is to check a teacher's performance. Sadly administration can't do this anymore since "testing" so far has been the measure. And such a bad one.

Sure teaching may not be that difficult in a classroom where children are there to learn as opposed to those classrooms where the majority of children are not brought up to value learning, but that's not the teachers' fault.

Teachers ideally are facilitators and teaching is usually chosen as a profession by those who value the role teachers play in society. But this principle applies to the other professions as well--if you care to do x you get the training to do it well, to be qualified, if you can.

Teaching is no different, those who care to teach do, and those who don't "care" about teaching may still do, but that applies to the other professions as well.

Teachers deserve pay allowing them to care for their families--to have a house, buy food, to care for their families--just like any other profession. Granted many people have degrees and can't afford to do that, but that's another discussion. Teachers take care of your children while you're working (or not). They deserve a middling pay at least. They do have a very important task, to you and in turn to society.

A democracy cannot survive unless the society is a sufficiently educated one.
I agree with most of your post. I would like to address the bold. It's often said in Boulder, Colorado (a fairly expensive city) that there needs to be affordable housing so that teachers, nurses, retail workers, etc. can live there. As a nurse, I find this offensive, as if nurses are some sort of low-income category. I wonder if teachers feel the same way? Granted, I'll always take more pay, and I think teachers and nurses need to be adequately paid, but I hate being looked upon as a sort of "charity case".

Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Wait a sec... where did I say "proof"?

Again... I only asked a question which nobody seems to want to answer, rather choosing to throw in your two cents for whatever reasons. As a matter of fact I do know how much effort a teacher puts into their work. Some do more than is required, some less. Just like any other job..

The title of your thread implies you have proof that teachers (plural) are not underpaid, yet you offer one example.

To answer your question, No, I would venture to say that she is not underpaid.

The "two cents" You bemoan, however, are examples of many other teachers not being paid enough.

Can you imagine the whining that would occur if any teacher, even the very best, made as much money

as an average Wall St. money changer?

Educating our kids is a very challenging and important job. A good teacher is worth 90K or more, IMO.

Last edited by Arktikos; 12-21-2015 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And those who don't go into it sure like to gripe about the money.
Well, more than 50% of my property taxes are going into a system that's failing. And I don't even have kids in that system.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:56 AM

I don't know what lower to middle class pay is in Boston, but teachers need to live there too don't they?

Maybe it's excessive pay, maybe it's not. Places in the Northeast and West coast I don't doubt have much higher pay.

Here in Texas most public school teachers (k-12) don't make this, especially those who are newer to the field.

We can't paint broad brush strokes--apples to oranges.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You evidently didn't get it! Risk factors are just that, factors that increase your risk.

I agree with most of your post. I would like to address the bold. It's often said in Boulder, Colorado (a fairly expensive city) that there needs to be affordable housing so that teachers, nurses, retail workers, etc. can live there. As a nurse, I find this offensive, as if nurses are some sort of low-income category. I wonder if teachers feel the same way? Granted, I'll always take more pay, and I think teachers and nurses need to be adequately paid, but I hate being looked upon as a sort of "charity case".

You're right--society's caretakers: nurses, police officers, teachers and the like shouldn't be regarded as charity cases. These professions deserve their due respect and acknowledged value.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Well, more than 50% of my property taxes are going into a system that's failing. And I don't even have kids in that system.

This is unfortunately probably a political problem.

Teachers are necessary and need to be able to afford to live in the areas they teach.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:04 AM

I apologize to OP, I don't know why I thought I read "prove". My mistake.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:42 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:

Did you go to school? Do you consider yourself failing? You were a kid in a school. Someone paid for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies