Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Really? What have the republicans done to help the poor, or the middle class, of that matter?

Jobs? Wages? Health insurance? Education? Housing? Homeless vets? I'm curious.
Capitalism.

But go live in countries that don't have it.

See how that works out.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I grew up in rural Mississippi, lived in Missouri/Kansas for a while, currently live in Tennessee, and routinely travel in rural areas all over the country from California to Ohio to Florida. I was back home visiting family (some of whom are poor, and all of whom are white and overwhelmingly Republican) for Thanksgiving and did a lot of driving around. In rural poor rural white areas, the number of pro-conservative signs vastly outnumbers the number of pro-liberal signs.
How too awful for you. I'm amazed you survived!

Quote:
They honestly believe that the reason their taxes are so high is because of all the Democratic black-folk on welfare (as opposed to the far greater number of white people on welfare, or the fact that corporate welfare paid out to rich company owners dwarfs social welfare in this country)
Maybe there are more whites on welfare because whites are 63% of the population while blacks are only about 14%. But don't let simple arithmetic get in your way. Never mind that blacks are MUCH more likely to be on welfare and commit crimes than whites. And you are wrong about corporate welfare "dwarfing" social welfare. Au contraire.

Quote:
the reason they can't get a job is because feriners took all of them (technically right, except it isn't immigrants... it is because rich Republican company owners sent the jobs overseas)
So 30 million people coming into this country ready to take any job that is available has no effect on wages?

Interesting notion -- maybe you'll be the great economist who finally refutes the Law of Supply and Demand. As well as proving the existence of purple unicorns....

Quote:
and they believe the hogwash about a "war on Christmas" being waged by the Democrats.
The war on Christmas IS, in fact, being waged by Democrats. But obvious facts don't matter to people like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
....CA state U's once were free for residents and that is the way it should be.
I'm glad you're paying for all those college educations -- not.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:26 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
The Republican Party believes in welfare but only for big corporations. They have nothing for the poor or middle class except talk.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The Republican Party believes in welfare but only for big corporations. They have nothing for the poor or middle class except talk.
So welfare disappeared under George W. Bush, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jerry Ford and Richard Nixon?

Wow, I didn't know that!

And Democrats never voted for corporate welfare?

Wow, I didn't know that either!

Old 12-22-2015, 04:38 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Not really. Southern Republicans believe in welfare for states as well. Northern republicans provide small business opportunities for the poor and middle class (as do northern democrats). Southern republicans are horrible at societal and economic management and usually the poor and middle class suffer as a result.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:54 AM

816 posts, read 993,781 times
Poor, white, trailer trash tend to vote Republican. 'Merica.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:01 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. People who think that poor people vote for Democrats for the free stuff are making a pretty horrible mistake n judgement.

Its not the free stuff, its that they want some hope and some change. When almost all of the gains go to the top 1%, the rest will get desperate.
Why haven't the Obama Admin or the SDNY (both heavily Dem, by the way) prosecuted?:

Justice Denied: Why Countrywide's Mozilo Isn't Going to Prison

Why are the poor voting for the party that protects white collar criminals'?

Even better question, why do you?

Old 12-22-2015, 06:08 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAguru View Post
R or D?

Does it matter whether they're in cities/urban areas vs rural/country/trailer parks?
The ones that I know usually support the candidate that will allow them to collect hordes of assault weapons.

Old 12-22-2015, 06:42 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
The ones that I know usually support the candidate that will allow them to collect hordes of assault weapons.
Ohh look, another one of those.

This topic is really rather telling from the lefties. Basic math failures abound, no research on the topic before spouting off, and there is always the personal attacks.

Stay classy.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:19 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
How too awful for you. I'm amazed you survived!
I was amazingly lucky... We grew up lower middle class, but the recession in the 80's hit us hard... we ate a lot out of our garden plus wild game. I had two good parents, but the biggest thing was that the principal at my public school actually believed in public education. He instituted experimental programs that allowed me and a few others to take college-level classes in high school when most area schools were lucky to have a decent basic math teacher. After he retired the football coach took over and they had stellar athletic facilities up until the school was closed/merged out because of dismal academic performance.

Quote:
Maybe there are more whites on welfare because whites are 63% of the population while blacks are only about 14%. But don't let simple arithmetic get in your way. Never mind that blacks are MUCH more likely to be on welfare and commit crimes than whites.
All this is true, and I even had it in my post until I edited it out for brevity. A higher percentage of minorities are on welfare than white, but there are more whites on welfare because of the simple fact that there are more white people. It doesn't change any of my points. Lower-middle-class white people believe that all the minorities on welfare is the reason their taxes are high because the magic box (radio or TV) tells them this.

Quote:
And you are wrong about corporate welfare "dwarfing" social welfare. Au contraire.
Not wrong. The amount paid by taxpayers in the forms of government subsidies to corporations (guaranteed price controls, oil and gas subsidies, ethanol subsidies, solar subsidies, tax breaks, etc.), i.e., "corporate welfare", is much much higher the amounts spent on things like SNAP (food stamps), WIC, Medicaid, etc. Depending on which specific items you include with each type of welfare, the numbers range from a low of 150% to 1000% higher or more.

Quote:
So 30 million people coming into this country ready to take any job that is available has no effect on wages? Interesting notion -- maybe you'll be the great economist who finally refutes the Law of Supply and Demand. As well as proving the existence of purple unicorns....
You said "30 million", so that tells me you are worried about Mexican nationals (and the number is widely disputed and a complete guess... most legitimate estimates put it closer to 11-12million). Most of those "30 million" have been here for a long time. There has been zero (none, nada) net inflow of immigrants from Mexico in the last several years (some come in every day, but roughly the same number leaves). I fully admit that there is competition and downward wage pressure because of illegal competition with moderate-skilled trades (carpentry, plumbing, roofing). But the majority of illegal immigrants take jobs that no one else wants. Georgia learned this lesson the hard way a few years back, and now many local jurisdictions refuse to enforce state anti-immigration law because they can't afford to.

Quote:
The war on Christmas IS, in fact, being waged by Democrats. But obvious facts don't matter to people like you.
On the contrary, I deal purely in facts instead of repeating illogical opinions. Everywhere I look I see vast arrays of Christmas lights, people standing in line to buy Christmas presents, and Christmas music and programs flood the airwaves. Retailers love Christmas because of the massive amount of spending this time of year, and retailers are very powerful in this country. If there is a "war on Christmas", the pro-Christmas retailers are overwhelmingly winning.

The fact that small-minded people are offended by the fact that some people actually have the audacity to follow religions other than Christianity (that darn 1st amendment ) is hardly a "war", and neither is the fact that some retailers and corporations have the nerve to actually show respect for other religions.

And for what it's worth, my friend's daughter has a stuffed purple unicorn. If she believes they are real, then no proof needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies