Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 11:28 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Poor white men? Almost always republican from what I've seen. They tend to gravitate towards what seems the most 'macho', which some people think of as being big on military, guns, wimmens knowin' thur place, not helping disadvantaged folks (lack of compassion), interest in 'dominance' (religious/cultural), enforcing the status quo (no protection for LGBT or minorities), and using the threat of physical harm to enforce "authority".
More like "from what MSNBC and Mother Jones tells me to believe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
There going vote for theblack guy, so they can feel political correct
Purely ideology driven politics never ends well, and usually starts a world war.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:51 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,137,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
More like "from what MSNBC and Mother Jones tells me to believe"

Purely ideology driven politics never ends well, and usually starts a world war.
No. More like "getting out the house and getting to know people". You should try it, it's fun.

Last edited by ohhwanderlust; 12-22-2015 at 11:59 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 11:58 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
In my experience, poor whites vote republican. Somehow the same people on government services find poor blacks and hispanics (middle class blacks actually too) to be trashy and the cause of all THEIR own problems. Funny to listen to a girl I grew up with whose finding every doctor to list her as disabled so she never has to work put down people who work at Walmart while having children on the state health plan.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
When I was poor, I voted for Democrats until I realized their values didn't match mine and Republicans came closer.

Overwhelmingly white males and married white females vote Republican. Single white females vote Democrat. You can find this out by looking at demographic voting patters.
LOL, like the girl I know (single) who voted for Obama because as she said "I think he's cute". or the other girls who said she liked him because as she said as she shrugged her shoulders, "I don't know, I just like him".

Yep, it's idiots like this that helped keep this disaster in the WH.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:18 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
A lot of them voted for a white trash hillbilly in '92 and '96 and it looks like the same crowd may support the hillbilly's wife in 2016.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
I live in a red state, in the South. There are many Whites where I live who are one check away from being poor. Most vote for Republicans. In fact, the only Whites that I know who vote Democrat are the college educated, the hipster types, city dwellers, and out-of-staters. Don't get me wrong. There are many college educated Republicans among the White population in Georgia, where I live. I do notice this trend. I find a higher proportion of Republicans among those with high school education or less than among the college educated. I also notice more Democrats among the young and middle upper class Whites in comparison to working class Whites. This is where I live.

Old 12-22-2015, 12:42 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
One other dynamic to look at are"one issue "voters. I've met Whites who vote Republican because of one issue. For instance , I met many people who are pro-life. They could disagree with a Republican candidate on other issues. Said voter could be pro-environmental, anti-death penalty, or have other stances tjat would be seen as liberal. And because of the pro-life stance, said voter will pick a Republican.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:22 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

There are at least 2 types of R voters (same as D I'm sure.)

1. The typically married "upper class whites" who vote R. I think this is who most Ds and Rs *think* the R base is. These Rs are are usually better educated and obviously have more money than:

2. The "lower class whites" who are either "working poor" and/or on SSDI, SSI, VA benifits, etc and completely miss the irony of this. They are driven by emotions and vote against their own interests because of their misplaced anger.

The second group is the Trump base.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:42 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You can twist it anyway you want but 39% of welfare recipients are whites. More low income and poor whites and lacking college degree live in the red states where Republicans win. Poor African Americans do not vote, do not vote in general. So poor whites vote for Republican against their own interest.

TWIST IT???? who's twisting Shiite? You are laughable in your approach! I said as much, 39% of the 109,000,000 on welfare ARE white....so? That's roughly 1 out of 6 whites walking. 3 out of 4 of the REST OF THE US population is on welfare......65,000,000.....there ain't no wiggling here my friend.

YOUR group is flat out lazy. Period. why work? Same goes for the 41,000,000 whites on welfare, I don't care for them but, if I HAD to choose, I'd take whitey all day and twice on Sunday....

They cost less. 41,000,000 versus 65,000,000 feeding off of me.....oh...what to do what to do??? decisions decisions.......hmmmmmmm, I'll go with door number one.

YOU my friend are the one trying to spin things....whitey makes up 235,000,000 of the US population...so much for it going "minority to majority" anytime soon.....no matter what CBS, MSN and others tell you....

D O T H E M A T H...

Oh wait, you probably need help with that.....too?

Old 12-22-2015, 01:44 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You post a lot of links but you do realize these have no more credibility than the opinions of well read people who keep themselves informed . that is why one needs education - to understand your world without having to always depend on obscure web sites. all statistics lie. it is up to us how to interpret and question.
Ok, everyone's opinions are correct and data means nothing.

It doesn't matter if a university only admits 20% of those who applied because they have five times more applications than slots, as long as you believe there is plenty of room for more students at that university, that makes it so.

I'm glad that's cleared up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It depends on the region. Poorest counties in some states vote one way but not so in another.

The poorest counties in Eastern Kentucky that rank among the 100 poorest American counties all went for Romney. He got between 90% and 57% in every one, mostly above 80%. But in Texas the opposite is true.

Kentucky Election Results 2012 - Map, County Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
As I stated before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
One great thing about Iowa is that it's fairly moderate; therefore, I would speculate that as we went into more red states, the poor whites would trend more Republican while in the more blue states the poor whites would trend more Democratic.
You are going to have variance in states where some poor counties skew one way while other poor counties in another state will skew other ways.

Iowa is a fairly moderate state which, IMHO, negates the "status quo" political leanings of the state and shows that poor people are pretty much split.

In case you didn't see my post analyzing Iowa, you might want to take a look at it - //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post42367720

And when we remove race from the equation and look at the lowest income counties in the US, they tend to trend Democratic as I broke down in this post - //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post42359624

When it comes down to it, the whole "poor rural people vote Republican" nonsense is just that, nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
No. More like "getting out the house and getting to know people". You should try it, it's fun.
If data means nothing to you, ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One other dynamic to look at are"one issue "voters. I've met Whites who vote Republican because of one issue. For instance , I met many people who are pro-life. They could disagree with a Republican candidate on other issues. Said voter could be pro-environmental, anti-death penalty, or have other stances tjat would be seen as liberal. And because of the pro-life stance, said voter will pick a Republican.
There are also plenty of "one issue" Democratic voters as well. You had tons of voters who voted for Obama based solely on his race. You'll have D voters who will vote on just the abortion issue.

Do you really think only Republicans have single issue voters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The "lower class whites" who are either "working poor" and/or on SSDI, SSI, VA benifits, etc and completely miss the irony of this. They are driven by emotions and vote against their own interests because of their misplaced anger.
So, they should be "whoever promises me the most goodies" voters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies