Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:04 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,648,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I doubt Jews just accept discrimination as a way of life, nor should those in the black community, nor should anyone. The fact that you would even suggest such a thing means you don't understand discrimination or why it is wrong to discriminate because of someone's name.
It's wrong. I agree. But that how it is now. The question is what are you doing with it. My mother told me when I was a kid that because of my Semitic look, my grades should be always 5 (straight A in USSR) to beat a Russian with 3 or 4. So that what I did, I studied very hard as a way of life. I did not whine about "Russian privileges" and got welfare.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:05 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,421,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
There is no contradiction. ........I am using deductive and inductive reasoning. If A = B....and B = C.....then A = C is not reading minds.....even if no one said A = C......if you say A = B and then say B = C.....I do not have to read your mind to know that you are also saying, implicitly, that A = C.
You absolutely contradicted yourself.

You attempt to tell us how White people think after stating that it's impossible to say how an entire race thinks.

Furthermore your "deductive and inductive reasoning is nonsense". It's not A = B or B = C. You are arguing A ⇒ B and B ⇒ C. And from that you absolutely can't assume that A ⇒ C.

Big Fail.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,028,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
It's wrong. I agree. But that how it is now. The question is what are you doing with it. My mother told me when I was a kid that because of my Semitic look, my grades should be always 5 (straight A in USSR) to beat a Russian with 3 or 4. So that what I did, I studied very hard as a way of life. I did not whine about "Russian privileges" and got welfare.
But why should it continue?

Old 12-28-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
So basically you don't understand what white privilege is, even though it had been pointed out several times in this thread.....
Logical Fallacy.

Just because someone says something exists, doesn't mean that it does.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Logical Fallacy.

Just because someone says something exists, doesn't mean that it does.
Just because someone says something doesn't exist doesn't mean that is true, especially when there are plenty of examples of it happening.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Just because someone says something doesn't exist doesn't mean that is true, especially when there are plenty of examples of it happening.
Nope. Opinions don't count as fact.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope. Opinions don't count as fact.
No, facts count as facts, though you are free to ignore those if you like. Clearly you are not adding anything to this thread, so I will not be replying to your posts in this thread until you do.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
No, facts count as facts, though you are free to ignore those if you like. Clearly you are not adding anything to this thread, so I will not be replying to your posts in this thread until you do.
You haven't provided any facts. Just opinion and indignance as demonstrated above that people question this notion of "White Privilege".

Old 12-28-2015, 10:20 AM

29 posts, read 28,654 times
To the OP,

The important thing is that you asked the question. It means you are willing to learn, which is great! Consider first of all what privilege is. For example, what is 'social privilege'? Yes, it is a phenomenon, and yes, there are areas where whites are no less privileged than blacks. Understanding a social phenomenon such as privilege does not necessarily mean one is calling for some kind of extreme left-wing intervention, but rather to create AWARENESS and begin a dialog. Obviously, one must put aside their personal struggles to be interested for a minute in SOCIAL struggles, Just like there is class privilege and socioeconomic struggle, there is white privilege in much of the USA. Does this make some less informed on the topic feel that perhaps their own struggles have no voice? Perhaps, and perhaps that needs to be addressed, but there are better ways of getting attention. Perhaps it is best to start by understanding your own personal social privileges and disadvantages and instead asking why THAT isn't getting the awareness it deserves?

And I can tell you, so long as people are asking the very question you asked, that there very certainly is such a thing as white privilege.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thparkly View Post

And I can tell you, so long as people are asking the very question you asked, that there very certainly is such a thing as white privilege.
It proves that it exists in the minds of the ones who ask the question. But that often has little to do with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies