Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:36 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
Absolutely THIS.

So, all the people who have participated on this thread, and stated that their life experience has confirmed white privilege—by your own standards, urbanlife, we should not believe them.

Any poll or any other "evidence" gathered by merely asking random people their opinions—again, by your own standards, we should not believe them. Who are these people? Have their stories been investigated and verified? Can you PROVE that they have been? If not, then by your standard, urbanlife, we should not believe them.

It's just some strangers on the Internet, giving anecdotes of what they say happened to them. We NEVER should take them at their word.
Ahhhhh....the ole "Don't believe your lying eyes" defense.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This isn't about racism keeping someone down, this is about identifying racism and understanding that it is wrong and not something wrong we should be doing to others. Just because one has had to succeed in spite of racism doesn't make that racism acceptable.
Ahh. So yet again you admit that "White Privilege" is just another word for racism.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:58 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Ahhhhh....the ole "Don't believe your lying eyes" defense.
Nope. The eyes say that "White Privilege" doesn't exist. The burden of proof is on those who claim it does.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope. The eyes say that "White Privilege" doesn't exist. The burden of proof is on those who claim it does.
White privilege is like a nuclear device detonation. There is first the real time damage from the blast, but after the blast is over......people continue to die from the lingering radiation. Saying there is currently no white privilege, therefore, is akin to saying, six months after detonating a nuclear device on a population, that deaths are not being caused by the nuclear device because you are no longer detonating any devices.

Whites do not want to take responsibility for the FALLOUT of their actions......which almost always transcends time and space.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:33 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
How about:

1) Black people are more likely to be arrested and serve longer sentences than whites who commit the same crimes at roughly the same rates.
2) It's well documented that identical resumes get an interview for the person with a white sounding name while the person with the black sounding name gets passed over.

Really? Would that include a name like BARACK OBAMA?

As I recall, he is Black man with:

1) A pretty exotic name

2) A thin resume devoid of any real accomplishments

3) Political connections and social associations that would have sunk a white candidate.

Yea sure.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:41 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
"White privilege" does not negate that there are Black succeeding. Neither does Black people succeeding negate that "white privilege" exist.

This is what I've seen. I've gone into a store, dressed very nice(in a suit) and I've been the one profiled and followed around in that specific store. A group of White teenagers dressed like skateboarders were not even bothered with. This told me that no matter how nice I dressed, no matter how non-thuggish I look, I will still be perceived differently. Does it mean I can't succeed? No it does not. I've gotten a college degree, I have a decent job. The aspect of this is not about "failture". Failure indicates that you did not try.

Privilege means this. I can go into a store dressed nicer than anyone else there, and still be looked at suspiciously. It means someone who is White could go in there and dress like average Joe, and be treated like average Joe. Privilege means you get the default treatment, where as someone else who is different is not treated as well. It means you benefit from being perceived a certain way. I know that when I go to certain places, I have to be careful if I don't want to be perceived as "the angry Black guy" or "the thug".

Old 12-29-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Really? Would that include a name like BARACK OBAMA?

As I recall, he is Black man with:

1) A pretty exotic name

2) A thin resume devoid of any real accomplishments

3) Political connections and social associations that would have sunk a white candidate.

Yea sure.
Do you really think your response was intelligent? Do you really believe that Barack Obama being elected president invalidates the existence of discrimination in other occupations besides the presidency? That is an egregious example of the fallacy of composition. Moreover, if you want to imply a white vote for Obama equal a non racist white person then you are also implying the corollary that a white vote against Obama is due to racism.....and more whites voted against him than for him.

Besides, the presidency and the like is not about the color of the person, but rather, the color of interest they will serve.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
"White privilege" does not negate that there are Black succeeding. Neither does Black people succeeding negate that "white privilege" exist.

This is what I've seen. I've gone into a store, dressed very nice(in a suit) and I've been the one profiled and followed around in that specific store. A group of White teenagers dressed like skateboarders were not even bothered with. This told me that no matter how nice I dressed, no matter how non-thuggish I look, I will still be perceived differently. Does it mean I can't succeed? No it does not. I've gotten a college degree, I have a decent job. The aspect of this is not about "failture". Failure indicates that you did not try.

Privilege means this. I can go into a store dressed nicer than anyone else there, and still be looked at suspiciously. It means someone who is White could go in there and dress like average Joe, and be treated like average Joe. Privilege means you get the default treatment, where as someone else who is different is not treated as well. It means you benefit from being perceived a certain way. I know that when I go to certain places, I have to be careful if I don't want to be perceived as "the angry Black guy" or "the thug".
Bull****. What store were you in where the following things you specifically claim, occurred?

1. Dress "nicer" than anyone else? Who followed you?
2. "Looked" at suspiciously? Again, what does that even mean? Suspiciously? What makes you think its about your race (other than black-black-blackity black all the time in your own head?).
3. How are you acting that people perceive you as a "thug" or an "angry black guy?

If something like this actually happened the store would be put through the news cycle like laundered money in Vegas.

I notice lots of black people tell the same stories passed down from generation to generation like it actually happened to them. Driving while black. Ask to park a car (good grief with this one). "Looked" at "suspiciously". Followed through a store.

Please.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Do you really think your response was intelligent? Do you really believe that Barack Obama being elected president invalidates the existence of discrimination in other occupations besides the presidency? That is an egregious example of the fallacy of composition. Moreover, if you want to imply a white vote for Obama equal a non racist white person then you are also implying the corollary that a white vote against Obama is due to racism.....and more whites voted against him than for him.

Besides, the presidency and the like is not about the color of the person, but rather, the color of interest they will serve.
I think it merely stating the obvious.

Now, to recap once and for all. A likable and obviously smart Black Man was elected PRESIDENT, not once but twice. POTUS is the MOST powerful and prestigious position in the known universe. Nobody can dispute that.

He defeated not one, but two established political figures, who both also happened to be White. He defeated them quite easily. He defeated them despite having little in the way of any solid accomplishments and some very shaky associations (Rev Wright, remember him?).

Furthermore, despite a supposedly hostile Congress that hounds the poor lad at every turn, the reality is that he has accomplished everything he set out to do while that same Congress has rolled over in fear and wetted itself.

Now, that is hardly the sign of a society rife with discrimination.

Tis you who need a glance in the mirror. You see laddy, people who did not vote for BO are called GOP and Independents. They rejected him as they would any liberal Democrat. Unless you think all those Democrats rejected Palen because they are sexist and Romney because they hate Mormons.

Gotcha.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
How about:

1) Black people are more likely to be arrested and serve longer sentences than whites who commit the same crimes at roughly the same rates.
2) It's well documented that identical resumes get an interview for the person with a white sounding name while the person with the black sounding name gets passed over.
1. Percentage wise, black people commit more crimes than whites. That's a fact.
2. Perhaps employers pass over black sounding names because they are hesitant to hire black people because the race card is pulled out by many black people in work environments whenever they do not get a promotion, need to be disciplined on work habits or anything negative happens to them at work. Some smaller employers don't want to deal it. The the price paid for overplaying the race card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies