Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is "white privilege" an excuse for black failure?
yes 204 71.58%
no 81 28.42%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:18 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Stormfront must be down again....
getting slapped must hurt troll.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:21 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
How about:

1) Black people are more likely to be arrested and serve longer sentences than whites who commit the same crimes at roughly the same rates.
2) It's well documented that identical resumes get an interview for the person with a white sounding name while the person with the black sounding name gets passed over.

Moral to the story: give some thought to what you name your kid. Don't name them DaShwan or LaKeesha. I've worked at places where HR trashed resumes left and right that had those African sounding names. They didn't even interview, they just absolutely hated the names and didn't want to have to be in a position to hear or say them. Or pretty much assumed the candidate would talk ebonic just for possessing the name. Off topic, but if you want to determine your child's success in life, start with their name. Even "white" names. For a boy, don't pick names that are "sissy" or for a girl, too "sexy and/or air headed". Or "hippy"...for any gender. I'm not going to give examples here, because I don't want to risk offending any posters. Don't EVER EVER name your kid Barack, either.

And as far as age discrimination, age can also be determined by some names...there are names that were very popular in the 50's...Jeffrey, Craig, Todd, or Debbie, Cynthia, Michelle, Marcia. You are dated there too when they look at your resume. I possess one of those 50's names, and its popularity probably peaked in 1958 and it hasn't been common at all since then. Look at my resume, and it doesn't take much guess work to determine my age. Discrimination of any sort can start with your name.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:22 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
you're mixing issues. white racism exists just like black racism exists.
Black folks may not like white people, they may even hate white people but black people do not promote, a systematic denial of the benefits of society due to a consciously or unconscious believe in the inherent superiority of black people. Ergo, black people are not racist towards white people in the United States. Prejudice, definitely, racist nope.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:27 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
What do black on white ass beatings count as? Prejudice or Racism? Just curious.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Black folks may not like white people, they may even hate white people but black people do not promote, a systematic denial of the benefits of society due to a consciously or unconscious believe in the inherent superiority of black people. Ergo, black people are not racist towards white people in the United States. Prejudice, definitely, racist nope.
perhaps we have differing views on the word "racist." I've always viewed it as someone who believed they belonged to a superior race.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Moral to the story: give some thought to what you name your kid. Don't name them DaShwan or LaKeesha. I've worked at places where HR trashed resumes left and right that had those African sounding names. They didn't even interview, they just absolutely hated the names and didn't want to have to be in a position to hear or say them. Or pretty much assumed the candidate would talk ebonic just for possessing the name. Off topic, but if you want to determine your child's success in life, start with their name. Even "white" names. For a boy, don't pick names that are "sissy" or for a girl, too "sexy and/or air headed". Or "hippy"...for any gender. I'm not going to give examples here, because I don't want to risk offending any posters. Don't EVER EVER name your kid Barack, either.

And as far as age discrimination, age can also be determined by some names...there are names that were very popular in the 50's...Jeffrey, Craig, Todd, or Debbie, Cynthia, Michelle, Marcia. You are dated there too when they look at your resume. I possess one of those 50's names, and its popularity probably peaked in 1958 and it hasn't been common at all since then. Look at my resume, and it doesn't take much guess work to determine my age. Discrimination of any sort can start with your name.
That is a very good example of white privilege, people shouldn't have to make sure their children's names sound more white.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
That is a very good example of white privilege, people shouldn't have to make sure their children's names sound more white.
I lol'd. that's like saying, "that's a good example of a myth that doesn't exist."

Old 12-26-2015, 05:30 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
That is a very true point, Urbanlife.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:34 PM

188 posts, read 103,147 times
Quote:
You just strung a bunch of words together that makes no sense. Basically you are saying the problem is "liberals."
And that is the truth. Liberalism, and is cousin progressivism and uncle communism ARE the problem.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:38 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
*Points and laughs at the right-winger who thinks a few decades will undo CENTURIES of oppression*
Look at the poll. The only oppressed group in the USA right now is the white male. They are ready willing and able to work but they don't help the company with their quotas. And they will be O. K. because they will never use that oppression as an excuse. They just try harder which is the only way to end oppression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies