Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:50 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,789 times

Advertisements

Brits are running to escape immigrants, Americans are having MOD CUT fits over it (and running to escape from politicians), France and Spain seem to have plenty of their own issues too. So maybe running isn't the problem, but getting third world nations to use some birth control???? Trying to achieve world peace? I mean yeah, running/immigrating might sound good for the short term, but in the end, there will be no place to go. My neighbor and I had a lengthy discussion this evening and were baffled when we realized there were few places to go.

My own family is highly educated and highly paid, but we want out of the US. So what is the REAL problem, why is everyone leaving their motherlands and searching for greener pastures?

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-04-2008 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:07 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
Yes, birth rates among 3rd worlders is absurdly high. I dont think it will be that way always though (especially among those living in the 1st world.) North America, Europe, some of East Asia, some of the middle east, already have low birthrates.

I agree with you though, the 1 world needs to control immigration or it will be overwhelmed by it.
Why do you want to leave the US?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:03 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,789 times
Because
1. Bush has increased our deficit and debt to such an exhorbitant amount that each family of four currently owes about $30K. I voted against Bush, I have been against this war since before it started. Let the Republicans pay, they voted for it.
2. The corporations run Washington, period. That is why we can't get national healthcare. The politicians have been bought. The CEO's of the health care companies walk each year with millions and millions in bonuses. Watch Michael Moore's "Sicko". We want to get citizenship somewhere else before either of us is old enough to have "Pre-existing conditions."
3. If another Republican is elected, he will get to nominate 2 retiring Supreme Court justices. This will seal America's fate as being governed by the Christian Right. If you ever wanted to see your rights taken away, creationism taught in schools, public-funded religious BS, wait and watch. Get some popcorn, be glad you are not here.
4. If another Republican gets in (McCain), he will continue this war (a hundred years if he needs to!). He will start a draft. He will probably invade Iran. Aside from all the unethical behavior, America is bankrupt. It cannot afford this. The dollar will continue its downward free-for-all and end up like the Mexican Peso. And still, there will be MORE terrorism than there was Pre-Bush.

Wanna come over?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:31 PM

269 posts, read 542,404 times
I think the power of the Religious Right is vastly overstated. The neo-cons mostly just use those guys as pawns, and most of the "fundies" I know are sadly aware of it by now.

But yes, I agree that our current big-party candidates seem intent on turning what's left of the USA into a northern version of Latin America. It's good for their bottom line. Yippee!!!

I think first world nations are going to have to have some babies, or else let themselves be run over; importing immigrants in lieu of having babies isn't a good way to ensure your civilization lives on. And quit sending them food, for pete's sake!

Don't you learn not to feed barn cats unless you want MORE of them? lol.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Don't let the door hit ya....

Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,536 times
Just stop sending the 3rd world any aid, including food. That will bring their populations down right quick.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 AM

711 posts, read 933,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Brits are running to escape immigrants, Americans are having MOD CUT fits over it (and running to escape from politicians), France and Spain seem to have plenty of their own issues too. So maybe running isn't the problem, but getting third world nations to use some birth control???? Trying to achieve world peace? I mean yeah, running/immigrating might sound good for the short term, but in the end, there will be no place to go. My neighbor and I had a lengthy discussion this evening and were baffled when we realized there were few places to go.

My own family is highly educated and highly paid, but we want out of the US. So what is the REAL problem, why is everyone leaving their motherlands and searching for greener pastures?
Your concerns are understood and properly taken. Personally I am coming down the stretch to retirement, at least from my nearly life long profession. I too will need to consider if I will be able to retire peacefully to my native America. The next 5 yrs. will be important.

One aspect is the issues of importance to the middle class which seem to be on a permanent back burner. These things are (but not limited to) immigration, education, public safety, the environment, infrastructure, economic security, and a rising standard of living. Our country is in a health care crisis. On these issues our 'leaders' are for the most part deaf, dumb and blind.
In addition politicians have become viciously partisan as well as contemptuous of their constituencies.These are our servants who are committed to a jaded world order that views national sovernity and borders as inconvenient impediments to trade and commerce, and our citizens as nothing more than consumers or units of labor in a flawed and unbalanced global marketplace.
All the vast and delicate work to make an atrocious scheme like this viable and they can't begin to accomplish the most basic, PROTECT our borders!!

Old 02-05-2008, 12:55 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
Your concerns are understood and properly taken. Personally I am coming down the stretch to retirement, at least from my nearly life long profession. I too will need to consider if I will be able to retire peacefully to my native America. The next 5 yrs. will be important.

One aspect is the issues of importance to the middle class which seem to be on a permanent back burner. These things are (but not limited to) immigration, education, public safety, the environment, infrastructure, economic security, and a rising standard of living. Our country is in a health care crisis. On these issues our 'leaders' are for the most part deaf, dumb and blind.
In addition politicians have become viciously partisan as well as contemptuous of their constituencies.These are our servants who are committed to a jaded world order that views national sovernity and borders as inconvenient impediments to trade and commerce, and our citizens as nothing more than consumers or units of labor in a flawed and unbalanced global marketplace.
All the vast and delicate work to make an atrocious scheme like this viable and they can't begin to accomplish the most basic, PROTECT our borders!!
Our leaders are thrilled that India and China are developing their middle classes, as they get rid of OURS, which is the backbone of our society. Deaf, dumb and blind, no kidding.

They want all of us to be slaves to the elites and corporations, so they can have more money in their pockets and control over us "peasants".

Old 02-05-2008, 03:46 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times
What makes you think this country can afford national healthcare? No part of healthcare is free or even cheap so where do you think the money to pay for it will come from? And just suppose we ever did have such an abomination, do you imagine for one moment that little Johnny (or Juan) or Susie (or Maria) would want to grow up and become doctors? For the most part, most young people go into medicine to be able to earn a handsome living but anyone familiar with the current Medicare system knows that Uncle don't pay jack for reimbursement. My sister is a doctor and she has seen her reimbursements for her Medicare patients (a high percentage of her practice unfortunately) diminish enormously while the requirements for the documentation have escalated the same huge amount. So, a national healthcare system would see hospitals close at an alarming rate, doctors would leave their practices and would not be replaced, the remaining facilities would be so overwhelmed that it would be impossible to get timely care, the incentive for research would be lost and the entire healthcare system would come to resemble that of a third world country. Can you name anyhting that has gotten better when the government has taken it over?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
National healthcare is a sham and doesnt work for any nation with more than 10 million people. The US hasn't even got close to the bottom so instead of leaving how about you stay, confront the leadership, and make a difference instead of letting the constitution be trashed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies