Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:39 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times

Advertisements

In fact, she moved there. She only practiced here for 5 years, specializing in family medicine (maternity care, "informed by holistic practices). Anyway, she's not new to beefing about compensation and what she considers to be failures in post-delivery support.

Maybe Canada embraces her view of protracted post-delivery pampering, and holistic/alternative treatments, but insurance companies don't generally reimburse for those.

In the end, even for her, it's all about the money. Money money money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Want to tell me, if you are so sure of this, why 8 of the last 10 major medical breakthroughs comes from the US? Why we are, without a doubt, the largest medical technology creator in the world? Why we have the shortest wait times, some of the best outcomes, and the largest selection of medications available?

Because no country with single-payer has ANY of those.

You are so quick to give up what we have for the mediocrity of your neighbors.

Hardly.

Most medical tourism to outside the US is: pharmaceutical, cosmetic, and organ transplant. In that order IIRC.

If we stopped other countries from holding our pharmaceutical companies hostage then we wouldn't need the primary reason.
Those other countries holding the pharmaceutical companies feet to the fire are the only thing keeping them from charging, fools willing to pay, even more exorbitant rates. Just witness the lines of hundreds of Americans going across the border into Mexico every single day to get their prescriptions filled and dental work done.

The mediocre neighbour at least made it into the top ten where the rubber hits the road:

Milestones in Canadian Health Research - CIHR

Excerpted Quote:
"It’s fairly well accepted that the U.S. is the most expensive healthcare system in the world, but many continue to falsely assume that we pay more for healthcare because we get better health (or better health outcomes). The evidence, however, clearly doesn’t support that view."

Old 12-29-2015, 09:14 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Those other countries holding the pharmaceutical companies feet to the fire are the only thing keeping them from charging, fools willing to pay, even more exorbitant rates. Just witness the lines of hundreds of Americans going across the border into Mexico every single day to get their prescriptions filled and dental work done.

The mediocre neighbour at least made it into the top ten where the rubber hits the road:

Excerpted Quote:
"It’s fairly well accepted that the U.S. is the most expensive healthcare system in the world, but many continue to falsely assume that we pay more for healthcare because we get better health (or better health outcomes). The evidence, however, clearly doesn’t support that view."
First, health care in the USA is of a very high quality. But that quality is not significantly higher than that found in other developed countries. We have a tendency to cherry pick what we do well and compare it with what other countries do badly which gives a false perspective.

But are we getting value for money? There is an argument that suggests that we should be getting much better outcomes than everyone else because we are spending much more than they are. And in some respects we do get better outcomes. If you can afford to pay, if you can afford a 'concierge' service, if you can afford a complete and comprehensive physical every year, if you have really good health insurance then, statistically, you are probably going to exceed average life expectancy and enjoy good health for most of that time.

But if you cannot ...........

Old 12-29-2015, 11:03 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
We do have Canada's system for everyone over 65.
Well not quite. Nursing home care for the middle class is much more affordable in Canada.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The majority of those, on Medicare and the government would not allow the procedure.

Once on Medicare, the government dictates to the doctor, what they can do to you.
I can only figure it is based upon your worth to society.

My dad was going to go overseas to get a procedure done, because Medicare was not allowing a doctor to do it. The doctor here was actually prompting my dad to do it, but he could not do it here or face governments boot on his throat.
Actually, Medicare is very good health insurance. It is fully comparable to the health insurance that my wife and I had prior to it. We have had absolutely no problems with it since enrolling in it.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:19 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
First, health care in the USA is of a very high quality. But that quality is not significantly higher than that found in other developed countries. We have a tendency to cherry pick what we do well and compare it with what other countries do badly which gives a false perspective.

But are we getting value for money? There is an argument that suggests that we should be getting much better outcomes than everyone else because we are spending much more than they are. And in some respects we do get better outcomes. If you can afford to pay, if you can afford a 'concierge' service, if you can afford a complete and comprehensive physical every year, if you have really good health insurance then, statistically, you are probably going to exceed average life expectancy and enjoy good health for most of that time.

But if you cannot ...........
A very reasonable viewpoint.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:06 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Quote:
The majority of those, on Medicare and the government would not allow the procedure.

Once on Medicare, the government dictates to the doctor, what they can do to you.
I can only figure it is based upon your worth to society.

My dad was going to go overseas to get a procedure done, because Medicare was not allowing a doctor to do it. The doctor here was actually prompting my dad to do it, but he could not do it here or face governments boot on his throat.

Provide your support for this. When I originally found this data it did not state that.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Actually, Medicare is very good health insurance. It is fully comparable to the health insurance that my wife and I had prior to it. We have had absolutely no problems with it since enrolling in it.

But once on Medicare, not even cash can get you what the insurance wasn't going to cover. Medicare ties the doctors hands completely.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
Quote:
But once on Medicare, not even cash can get you what the insurance wasn't going to cover. Medicare ties the doctors hands completely.
I use the same doctors before and after Medicare. And have not noticed any differences at all. None.

That includes a couple of out-patient hospital procedures - one each for my wife and myself. Colonoscopy, couple of CT scans, various ultrasound treatments, x-rays, doctor appointments, etc. All covered.

Medicare isn't totally comprehensive - dental isn't included, nor or glasses. Drugs aren't either unless you sign up for a separate plan. Plus a few other things. But, in general it is very good health insurance. At least as good and as comprehensive as what we had previously.

Some may have trouble finding providers but thats no problem where I live. Everyone that I know thats on Medicare likes it very much. And for many new enrollees its the first real health insurance they've had in years and look forward to it.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:27 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Excerpted Quote:
That's not what happens.

What happens is the company fronts a billion or so dollars to maybe develop a drug. That drug is then sold for a cost plus profit. The US covers the vast majority of that because countries (like Canada) basically say you can accept X amount for the drug or not sell it here or we open it up for our industry to make and you get nothing.

People jump across the border for medicine (which I actually quoted as the #1 reason) because those countries are either using drugs manufactured from other countries with substandard techniques or they are price-fixed by government strong arm.

I'm sure Canada has 8 of the 10 best medical breakthroughs in whole or part (I believe 5 in whole) under it's belt. Ohh wait, no that's the US. Next highest was 2, and both of those were (IIRC) in conglomeration with the US.

Then there is the whole thing of "fairness" in medicine. So if I create the cure for cancer I can get 7-14 years of a patent. If I write a crappy book I get my entire like PLUS 50-99 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies