Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,444,147 times

Advertisements

Oh boy, another navel gazing thread. This is getting a little disconcerting.

Like belly-button lint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:57 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,407,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
MY wife!
LOL

you better hope she doesnt read here.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:26 PM

674 posts, read 612,657 times
I have two worries about giving Kim Jong-un the boot. First, the power vacuum might result in someone even worse taking over. Second, I've lost track of whether or not he's just a puppet for some nasty cabal operating behind the scenes.

Getting rid of the whole government and replacing it with a group of sane, friendly people who would cooperate with South Korea would be pretty much the best thing to happen on the geopolitical stage in a long, long time.

The problem there really does seem to be the people at the top, not even just the form of government. China and Vietnam both moved past the phase where Communism is about being an oppressive bully. They opened up to the world, and they're doing a lot better than before (China is thriving, and Vietnam is moving in the right direction). Both figured out that international cooperation makes life better for everyone. Cuba seems to have caught on, too, maybe.

Fatty Kim (or whoever really pulls the strings) just has a thick head.

If he really wanted to, he could find a way to stay in power and still embrace the modern, open economy.

If I had to guess why he doesn't change course, I'd say it's because doing so would seem like admitting to being wrong.

Thus, putting someone else at the top would be an opportunity to change course without anyone having to take the blame.

The end result wouldn't even have to be reunification with South Korea, if differences in governing philosophy wouldn't permit that. If North Korea were run more like China, it could get by just fine, and there wouldn't need to be any conflict with the South or any need for everyone in the North to rush over the border.

Maybe there could even be something like the China-Hong Kong situation, with the North retaining some autonomy but still being officially reunified with the South. The borders would open up, families would come back together, the country would get a lot richer really fast, and suffering would be reduced.

Hmm, this is interesting to think about. So much potential for good!

Old 12-28-2015, 05:44 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,158,315 times
Rupert Murdock.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,102,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
You claim to know the one moral answer, yet your rage and your insults towards Republicans only serves to discredit you while convincing no one.
I used the word Republican once in my post. The one time I did it was in clear reference to a specific kind of Republican; the kind that rants about Obama being a Muslim, or a communist, or whatever baseless accusation they have. A lot of Republicans do not buy into that.

If you're calling my point discredited becasue you are the kind of Republican I described, good. Proves my point. That sort of person is open to discussion or reason. Simple as that.

So I'll ask this: do you sincerely believe Obama is more deserving of removal from power, something that will happen in a years time anyway, than someone like Kim Jung Un or the king of Saudi Arabia, both of whom will remain in power until they die, which has no clear time stamp? I ask this because I'm fairly certain my hypothesis is correct. You're ignoring my point because you don't like that I'm very clearly right as any objective thinker will see. I don't frankly give a **** if you like Obama. That's not the point at all. I have my issues with him as well. But when people sincerely believe he is the worst leader, even if that title is purely in regards to past America leaders, I see no justifiable argument in support of such nonsense other than a particularly strong sense of important and amazing ability to ignore objectivity.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:49 PM

52,700 posts, read 34,636,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I just want to let everyone know that there's really only one moral answer, and that's Kim Jung Un. Don't get me wrong, there are strong arguments for people like Al Saud (but our oil...), Putin, or Khamenei or any other dangerous dictator (yes, Putin is a dangerous dictator, no matter how much he loves his country, which is as meaningless as saying he speaks him mind). Kim Jung Un 'leads' the most oppressive state in the world. No other country is as authoritarian as his; his people are suffering more than anyone else on the planet, and yes, that includes the self important Republicans who are sure that Obama is the anti-Christ.

Also, for anyone saying Obama, I'll ask this: did you support Bush's plan to remove Saddam in the name of freedom? If yes, you can **** yourself because by choosing Obama, you ignore your own privilege and choose to allow the man who is more against freedom than anyone else on the planet, Kim, remain in power. And if you didn't, well you're still kind of an idiot. What has Obama really done to make your life so difficult? Raised your taxes? Vaguely threatened stricter gun control? Yeah, totally worse than life in North Korea.

Selfish lunatics... Or should I say entitled? I know that's a word they love to use.

I get that this is a hypothetical thing, but actually, what the hell? How can anyone genuinely say Obama when a leader like Kim Jung Un actually exists.
kimmy is the hands-down best pick.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:20 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,926,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I struggled between Merkel and Obama but I went with Obama because America if far more important to the world than Germany. Merkel is actually doing more to destroy Germany than Obama has been able to do to America but at the end of the day, so goes the USA, so goes the free world. Germany can be sacrificed to the Islamists if need be.
I DON'T think Germany will play well with Islamists for much longer. IMHO Merkel DOES need to go over Obama because he's a lame duck.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:38 PM

461 posts, read 333,685 times
Hmmm...Merkel I think....or maybe Nutanyahoo.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:44 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,536,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma83 View Post
Hmmm...Merkel I think....or maybe Nutanyahoo.
Israel is the only country ISIS is afraid of. They said it knows how to fight a guerrilla war. They should after all these years of practice and doing it.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:00 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,893,683 times
I'm going to say Merkel for being the most destructively anti-European leader, worse than Hitler. Hitler only brought short term and recoverable destruction to Europe and he intended to make Germans supreme. Merkel purposely brought permanent destruction to Europe.

Obama is just as bad if not worse than Merkel, but our government system doesn't allow Obama to destroy America with immigration and PC at such a rate as he'd like to. Although you could make the argument that the Obama administration is just as responsible for the planned invasion of Europe by Muslims by toppling leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies