Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 09:51 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

I would still want more of a lifestyle than what $1,100 month could afford me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:55 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would still want more of a lifestyle than what $1,100 month could afford me.
LOL. Yup, I think most people would. Its why the amount of basic income is important. We want enough to be OK, but not so much that that lifestyle desire is met.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:01 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Lunch money.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:43 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
hmmmm you know that is about the amount of Federal taxes I pay a month. How about they just give me the money I earn and let me decide to do what I want with it. If you want to tax me 3% federal sales tax on everything I buy go ahead. This way everyone pays something and its small enough number put the spending we do will also increase. With an extra 1000 dollars a month in my pocket. <-- that I earned. What I find interesting 1000 dollars a month in this story in the question comes from thin air. :-) Must be the federal reserve printing press.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
hmmmm you know that is about the amount of Federal taxes I pay a month. How about they just give me the money I earn and let me decide to do what I want with it. If you want to tax me 3% federal sales tax on everything I buy go ahead. This way everyone pays something and its small enough number put the spending we do will also increase. With an extra 1000 dollars a month in my pocket. <-- that I earned. What I find interesting 1000 dollars a month in this story in the question comes from thin air. :-) Must be the federal reserve printing press.
The federal reserve in Germany?

Go read the article. You apparently did not do so.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:09 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
given increased productivity from automation it should be FAR easier to do it later. And doing so will move money in ways that we need.

I just dont feel convinced that now is the time. Please, change my mind. Why would it be good now?

Robotics are racing towards us at the speed of the race car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU.

If you don't look at that video; look at all of the other links that you can simply get by Goggling: 'Robots to replace one third of American workers in the next ten years'. Here is but one article and there are many: Smart robots will take over a third of jobs by 2025, Gartner says | PBS NewsHour.

Many of the tech 'experts' think that the rich will share so we can all have a brighter future. I don't think that will happen; nobody volunteers to give up power and money. Of course, if that happens, it might lead to total anarchy.

Then, going back to your question, I don't think anytime is a good time to ask the shrinking middle-class to dig deeper. I want to see if a problem solver/business leader can get us on track.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Robotics are racing towards us at the speed of the race car:
LOL, I'm very familiar with the video.

Quote:
If you don't look at that video; look at all of the other links that you can simply get by Goggling: 'Robots to replace one third of American workers in the next ten years'. Here is but one article and there are many: Smart robots will take over a third of jobs by 2025, Gartner says | PBS NewsHour.
Also very familiar with that as well. In fact I have written a fair bit of software that automated jobs away.

Quote:
Many of the tech 'experts' think that the rich will share so we can all have a brighter future. I don't think that will happen; nobody volunteers to give up power and money. Of course, if that happens, it might lead to total anarchy.
LOL. Like you I find this laughable. Eventually it will be true, when doing so is such a pittance that its irrelevant, but that eventually is a long long long ways away.

Quote:
Then, going back to your question, I don't think anytime is a good time to ask the shrinking middle-class to dig deeper. I want to see if a problem solver/business leader can get us on track.
Given that the vast majority of the gains is going to the top 1%, its not the middle class that should feel the burden. They in fact should remain pretty unaffected. but nothing here convinces me that now is the time. Will it be in the future? Absolutely, but I think its going to have to be driven by other countries providing a example, while we are trying to deal with rising unemployment. And that is simply not the case at the moment.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:30 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
would pay all my bills and start thinking retirement much sooner

Old 12-28-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
would pay all my bills and start thinking retirement much sooner
dunno, tried that, not as fun as I thought it would be.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
it's gonna depend on their backgrounds. if you give a poor person that money, they most likely won't have their lives improved. if you give an upper middle class person that money, they most likely will.
But what if the poor person is currently living at a survival limit, just enough to eat and maybe a roof over the head? You don't think that enough to do more since they would not be primarily worried just about survival wouldn't allow them to persue other goals which are impossible before? Or in your view are poor people poor because they don't try to do better?

The middle class sorts I know would just go spend more money on stuff. Materialism and showing it off is much in style and that would just buy more toys.

Money enough to give a decent place to live and an expectation that it won't dissapear makes it possible to get past the mindset of the limitations of being poor.

In many places that would still make you poor. Its close to the SSI amount in higher cost states. If you lived in a lower cost state and gave the same it would be a bit more of a help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies