Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 10:06 AM

39,190 posts, read 27,570,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
But see lily this is what NORMAL people like you and I would do! The way I see it, if you don't want my business, or my money, I'll go elsewhere! Simple! Done! Sadly, we have too many thin-skinned, self-entitled sue happy whiners in this country, who are looking for an easy payday!
I know. I completely agree.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-30-2015 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:15 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Christians won't threaten to chop your head off
This is not about one religion or another. This is about laws that a business owner must follow (non-discrimination) and about laws that a business owner must follow regarding reasonable accommodation of the religious beliefs of their employees as long as it doesn't have more than a minimal impact on the businesses.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:21 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Here is a very interesting article,

Why can Muslims refuse to sell liquor, but Christians must serve gay people?

Why can Muslims refuse to sell liquor, but Christians must serve gay people? - Dave Ross | MyNorthwest.com

I have no problems with gay marriages or gay couples, matter of fact, I don't think we need to give government any more power to butt into our private businesses and personal lives.

If you cannot buy liquor from a Muslim, go to another store, if you want to buy a gay wedding cake, you should get the cake from another bakery.

But reality is that Muslims exercise their religious rights by refusing to serve liquor, but Christians are bigots by refusing to sell gay wedding cakes. Isn't that double standard? Just be honest already.
Technically that isn't discrimination because the Muslim store wouldn't have liquor in it to begin with....also they aren't selling it to anyone, but had you said Muslims weren't allowed to sell liquor to white people, then that would in fact be discrimination.

As for the Muslim tucker, I don't agree with the ruling, if you are hired to transport goods, you should transport the goods you were hired to transport. Nothing was preventing this Muslim from telling his future employer that he was unable to transport alcohol.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:12 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,956,918 times
Quote:
Certainly.

To me, I just don't understand why it is such a big deal to go to another store.

If my cashier is a Muslim who refuses to sell me liquor, I would find it inconvenient, but I will go to another store.

A baker does not want to sell this kind of cake,

http://images.weddingcollectibles.co...e-Toppers-.jpg

I just don't know why it is such a big deal? Go to another bakery, I would say majority of the bakeries would not mind to take your money.

A lot of conflicts should be avoided if people can just leave each other alone. Labeling people or starting a movement really won't solve anything.
Refusing to sell you liquor would not be discrimination if the muslim cashier refused to do that for all people wishing to buy it. The store owner would have to make a reasonable accommodation for that cashier to not have to sell liquor, but if the store only had a single cahier, well said muslim cashier would probably be out of a job.

That's a completely different situation from a business refusing to give regular service to someone based upon their protected class (race, religion, sexual preference, etc.).

Old 12-28-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Refusing to sell you liquor would not be discrimination if the muslim cashier refused to do that for all people wishing to buy it..
and if christian baker refuses to sell straight couples gay cake, then what?

it is not like they don't sell GAYS gay cake, they don't offer gay cakes period.

see the differences?

I have no problems with gays or gay marriage, but why do people constantly deny there is double standard?

If there is a rule, rule should apply to EVERYONE.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:31 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,956,918 times
Quote:
and if christian baker refuses to sell straight couples gay cake, then what?

it is not like they don't sell GAYS gay cake, they don't offer gay cakes period.

see the differences?

I have no problems with gays or gay marriage, but why do people constantly deny there is double standard?

If there is a rule, rule should apply to EVERYONE.
Then that baker would likely be guilty of discrimination.

If they didn't sell cakes to anyone ever then no harm no foul.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Technically that isn't discrimination because the Muslim store wouldn't have liquor in it to begin with.....
and Christian bakers do not offer gay cakes, is there really a discrimination somewhere?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:32 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,619,444 times
Quote:
Here is a very interesting article,

Why can Muslims refuse to sell liquor, but Christians must serve gay people?
Because Christians don't want to upset everyone by asking everybody "Are you a homosexual?" before serving their customers.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Then that baker would likely be guilty of discrimination.

If they didn't sell cakes to anyone ever then no harm no foul.
Never mind.

I think there is a double standard. You don't. I think we can just agree to disagree.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:40 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
and Christian bakers do not offer gay cakes, is there really a discrimination somewhere?
Cake's have sexual orientation now?? If they sell a cake, they can't discriminate who they sell the cake too, it really is a pretty simple concept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies