Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 08:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I couldn't care less about this little thug in the making, I really couldn't. The FACTS are he went for the gun and got shot. Oh well, lessoned learned the hard way.
Right, he's black so obviously he is a thug in the making. We've already determined that facts mean nothing to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:41 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
After seeing photos of a real gun and the replica toy gun held by the boy, I can see completely why the police thought the person, described as a man waving a gun, was a real threat. These guns looked almost identical to me. Cleveland is also one of the top 5 most dangerous cities in America.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:43 AM

862 posts, read 519,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People walk out of their houses hundreds if not thousands of times a day with a gun and are not shot.
Right because they are not pointing it at strangers. Why do you keep disregarding that fact?

Old 12-29-2015, 08:45 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
People walk out of their houses hundreds if not thousands of times a day with a gun and are not shot.

Do they?

What do you mean? They walk out waving AR-15s around? They strut out like Billy the Kid with six guns blazing?

Really, what do you mean?

Because if anyone did that in my placid burb, they likely would be dead.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:46 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
There are many good cops and some not so good. Unfortunately they all get treated the same by the people and the police force.

Yes; we are all humans - not robots. Some police do make mistakes and those should be prosecuted in a court of law. We have greater scrutiny on our police force than we ever had in the past - video, smart phones, drones, cameras. Of course it is going to expose more bad cops. All I am saying is that we don't want to throw the system under the bus because some made mistakes. The Black community, even more so than the White community, needs the help of our police force. Somebody has to pick up the pieces.

Quote:
There are accepted police procedures. Rolling up to someone you feel may be armed is not a part of that procedure.

The policeman was responding to the 911 call. How can any police officer know exactly where the shooter is located without looking? You want them to wait until all are dead?

Quote:
The 911 caller seemed to have known.

But that was not relayed to the officer - so how could he know? You are not even talking about going after the dispatcher.

Quote:
Is the first person in the video game supposed to be well trained or mentally unstable?

Of course people question your sanity; especially if you don't agree with them! I lived 68 years without taking anybody's life or any major problems. Like I said before; I also shot team and know how to safely handle weapons. But, when faced with that video game; I shot good guys by accident. That scared me; I hope that I will never be in that position. It is very easy to make a mistake. Of course, in a game, nobody loses their life. But this requires constant training, oversight and guidance. Like I said before; I don't want to be in the shoes of our police officers.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
White-suburbanite here, and if you'll note from many of my posts here that I oppose the drug war! Why? Because I know that prohibition does nothing but creates a black market, which in essence creates more crime, and often with deadly results! I mean think about it, drug dealers can't exactly call a cop when a drug deal goes bad, so they take matters in their own hands, in which often innocent people are harmed! I would prefer that prisons reserved for the lowest of the low, such as rapists, murderers, pedophiles, and those who commit violent crimes, or rob people of their life savings (i.e. folks like Bernie Madoff) as opposed to being filled with people for possession, consumption, and distribitution of a substance, because the government thinks they know what is best for you! Sadly, this unfortunately is not the case, and sadly Americans seem to love continuing to feed the Prison Industrial Complex! Oh, and don't believe for a second that white communities aren't subjected to the drug war. Heroin and meth addiction is a huge problem in the suburbs and rural areas.

With that said, it is important for us as parents (not sure if you're a parent yet) to teach their kids well, so as to avoid unnecessary run ins with the law, or any other potential dangers. It isn't 100% effective, but it really is all you can do!
Agreed. I am not a parent yet, but sometimes doubt whether I want to raise a child today.

It's a terrible situation that Cops spend most of their time fighting drug "crimes", because that is the most lucrative for them. Not only can they then go after the possessions and assets of the drug "criminal" but there is incentive money from the DEA/Feds given to local forces for fighting the war on "Drugs". It is why drug criminals often do longer sentences than a convicted pedophile or rapist, because the priority is fighting the War on "Drugs". Now they have created The War on "Terror", another ambiguous war that will be fought until they've bled all they can.

Because Cops are so pre-occupied fighting victimless non-violent crimes, murder and rapes are going unsolved at record rates. This is happening even though DNA forensics has improved immensely and there is far less violent crime than in the past.

I think we need to stop making excuses for legislators/law makers and tell them to allow Police to do what they are supposed to do, and stop harassing certain segments of the population.
Stats show that whites are not nearly as effected by the War on "Drugs" in the "justice system". Up to 90% of people incarcerated under the War on "Drugs" are minorities. Yes, whites are victims in other ways, such as overdose/addiction that could be better treated if drugs were legal and professionally distributed like it used to be.

Before the War on Drugs, only 9% of murders went unsolved! | The PPJ Gazette

As Rapes & Murders Go Unsolved, Cops Make Arrests Every 51 Seconds for Marijuana Possession | The Free Thought Project

Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
After seeing photos of a real gun and the replica toy gun held by the boy, I can see completely why the police thought the person, described as a man waving a gun, was a real threat. These guns looked almost identical to me. Cleveland is also one of the top 5 most dangerous cities in America.

Sad but true, and this is a big part of the equation. It sucks, because there is a sort of rennaissance going on in this region, and it seems as if the city is slowly starting to turn the corner in terms of development, and what it has to offer. Put it this way, if you come to Cleveland, and you say you're bored, then you really do live under a rock! But, as you've alluded to, it is still listed as one of the top dangerous cities in the country, and there is no question that there is much work to be done. Make no mistake though, the region as a whole really is a great place to live.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
How come you're not a cop? You seem to have ALL the answers.
pknopp doesn't have all that answers, just expressing frustration at a situation and tilting at windmills.

It's a common reaction to the feeling of helplessness.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
They never saw the gun before firing.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Right because they are not pointing it at strangers. Why do you keep disregarding that fact?
I never have......I've addressed that in many posts. Besides, that wasn't the claim I addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies