Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 01:23 PM

50,261 posts, read 23,884,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Where you there? Since post #4 you have been screaming about the police lying.
And you've been sticking up for the police. Were you there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
And not just pull up slowly but stop a safe distance away, get on the bullhorn, and tell the kid to put down the gun and get down on the ground. If the kid complies then problem solved and no one is hurt. If the kid acts like a knucklehead then the cops would have been justified in opening fire. I can't understand why anyone would argue that this case wasn't at the least poorly handled.
Excellent post.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
When you were growing up did you take your toy guns (which didn't look anything like toy guns today do) out to a public park and wave them at people as they walked by?
There was no park in my neighborhood.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:49 PM

79,905 posts, read 43,920,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Understood, just giving backstory on my views. BUT everything that led up to the shooting applies. People do not realize how fast you can pull a gun and fire, as well as close the distance with a knife in your hand. Going on the info they had, I see what they saw. Blame the dispatcher, not the cops. Street life is not what many of you think, things happen in the blink of an eye.
I can't blame the cops for not doing a background check on someone they were going to hire? I can't blame the shooter for lying?

Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The video shows why the officers did what they did. This is the complete video, not the last second clip we have been seeing on the news. Remember, the officers were watching as they slowly drove up and the actions they saw led to the officers believing there was imminent danger.
Their own statements say the didn't "slowly" drive up so I have no desire to discuss this with someone willing to just make things up.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Very few of us wonder why there's a Black Lives Matter movement, it's just that we know the truth and we laugh at the reasons people like you give for it.
You mean like the post I referred to?

Let's repost its highlights:

"His life didn't matter before, doesn't matter now ... these kids in these areas don't matter ...
no his life did/does not matter."

Old 12-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This thread is not about the facts.

What do we notice in thread? Virtually every poster (if not every poster) justifying the killing of this 12 year old Black kid is white.
I don't know the participants color outside of what a few have said in the past. I'm white.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
When you were growing up did you take your toy guns (which didn't look anything like toy guns today do) out to a public park and wave them at people as they walked by?
Are you sure about that?

repair | The Pistol Place

Old 12-30-2015, 02:25 PM

18,755 posts, read 17,999,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And you've been sticking up for the police. Were you there?

I am not sticking up for the police; I just think there were bigger mistakes made that lead to Tamir's death. I also think the police acted reasonably with the information they were given. They put their own lives in 'harms way' to protect their community. How many others would rush in to protect the children? Would you?

I went over Pknopp's links and in the second link it states that three different law enforcement agencies had submitted statements saying that the police officer acted in a 'reasonable' way. That is why both sides have 'expert' witnesses. No; I was not there and you were not there. How long did the Grand Jury take to deliberate the case; that I have not seen in the links?

Going back to the 'bigger' mistakes: Did his mother know that Tamir was taking that toy pistol to the park? Did she know that the orange identifier was removed. Did Tamir remove the orange band or did his friend remove the band? Did anybody ever tell Tamir not to point, even a toy weapon at anybody? But then, going to the dispatcher and the woman that received the 911 call; it was their job to give all information to the police that they sent to respond. that never happened and it sat the stage for the shooting. When the dispatcher told the police that a man was waving a gun and pointing it at people in the park; she might has well have pulled the trigger herself. But, as far as I know; it still isn't clear if the woman that received that call gave her dispatcher all of the information? That lack of information cost Tamir his life. But the whole incident never should have happened in the first place - everybody should have know better.

If you really want to stop shootings like this one; perhaps we should make laws that all toy weapons should be fluorescent orange? However, it would not surprise me' if some children did not spray paint them black!

Old 12-30-2015, 02:40 PM

3,272 posts, read 2,317,301 times
This argument for the kid is ridiculous. I learned in 8th grade in 1974 that the police had the right to arrest anyone using a toy gun in a robbery attempt as if it were a real on. This was a way the crooks thought they could get out if being charged with possessing a firearm if they got caught. No different for this boy. You wanna play games? This iS what happens. The police were right in this case. I would have shot at him too. If you don't take orders from police, prepared to be shot, especially if you have a gun, an object that looks like one or if you start running toward or approach them. It all comes down to all of these black kids getting shot these past few years have no respect for the police or the law. Same story over and over.

Where's Sharpton? Should be here like clockwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies