Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:28 PM

240 posts, read 344,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I never asked if she got a raise. She did send my parents a $200 visa gift card, so I'm assuming she's doing well.

These companies need to understand that cheap labor isn't everything. Boeing tried to make it work for years and they still couldn't make the cheap labor of China produce the kind of quality that American workers produce.

I'm also an engineer. I say this in every interview I've had. It's not just how efficient I can work. I also work with a certain standard of quality. I take pride in my work. All anyone has to do is look at my work, and I make my work readily available to anyone who wants to see them.

I've seen work coming from China. They simply don't value the way we do here. That's why we see so much cheaply made products coming from over there.

It has nothing to do with "quality of work" for your sister's case. The problem is China has not master aircraft manufacturing technology yet. If they master it, your sister may lose job permanently.

Of course, she will not need to worry in her life because it will take few years for state-owned Chinese companies to master aircraft manufacturing technology.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:43 PM

409 posts, read 258,646 times
"When their jobs come up from a dollar an hour to six dollars an hour, and ours go down to six dollars an hour, then it's leveled again. But in the meantime, you've wrecked the country." -Ross Perot

Old 02-22-2016, 07:48 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My cousin is an engineer for Boeing. When Boeing moved from Washington State to China, she lost her job. After the epic failure of the operation in China and losing billions to the incompetency of Chinese workers and engineers, they moved back to Washington and she is now gainfully employed again.
Many companies have learned that "Chinese manufacturing" isn't as cheap as it first appears. I worked at a company where management insisted on sending our injection molded parts production to SEA. Between the long lead times, poor part quality, the high cost of sending our employees there to work contracts and address problems, and the great increase in engineering time to manage these vendors, it just wasn't worth it at the volume of products we were producing. Much of that volume was brought back to local companies.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Even HONDA plans on building its recently certified small business jet right here in North Carolina.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:19 AM

12 posts, read 10,964 times
The bottom line is, in Capitalism profit comes first. The government is run by rich people who want to stay rich, so they outsource everything.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Here's a link to the original press release.

There's an embedded link with charts with more detail.http://www.bcg.com/news/press/default.aspx

Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,387,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The trend of jobs leaving the US is reversed. US is seen as the more attractive place to manufacture goods.

Reshoring trend of moving operations back to U.S. gains steam

Reshoring trend of moving operations back to U.S. gains steam

More manufacturers are bringing production back to the U.S. in an effort to cut costs and move closer to customers, among other factors, a new Boston Consulting Group survey says.

Seventeen percent of manufacturers are "actively reshoring," or moving operations back to the U.S., up from 13% in 2013, according to BCG's survey of 263 U.S. manufacturing executives in September.

What's more, the U.S. has surpassed China as the most likely destination for new factory capacity for goods sold in the U.S. Thirty-one percent of the executives with at least $1 billion in annual revenue said they're most likely to locate such facilities in the U.S. within five years, up from 26% two years ago. Just 20% would choose China, down from 30%.

That makes the U.S. the most likely destination for the new capacity, with the country outpacing Mexico as well. The reshoring trend began more than five years ago, partly reversing a decades-long offshoring movement that saw manufacturers take advantage of low foreign wages.

Of course they are. Barack Obama is leaving town and Donald Trump is coming in.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The trend of jobs leaving the US is reversed. US is seen as the more attractive place to manufacture goods.
The economic cycle continues. All the work of the current administration will be reflected in the coming years and whoever is sitting in the WH (Clinton or Trump) will take full credit for the turnaround.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Quote:
What's more, the U.S. has surpassed China as the most likely destination for new factory capacity for goods sold in the U.S.
what kind of factories? Do you think having Foxconn in the US will be any better?

Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Of course they are. Barack Obama is leaving town and Donald Trump is coming in.
Its been happening some years now, so maybe it doesn't make sense to credit Trump for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies