Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:11 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times

Advertisements

We do not need the massive military we have today. Of course we need some defense forces. But the size of the defense only has to be proportionate to the size of the threat. No major country in the world today wants to invade any other country, because of the MAD(mutually assured destruction) basis of nuclear weapons.

The only threat today is from terrorists or rogue nations possibly acquiring nuclear weapons, then sneaking into this country and detonating it in New York City or Washington DC.

The only way terrorists can get ahold of nuclear weapons, is if rogue nations that hate the USA provide them for them. That is why we constantly sanction and overthrow the governments of these nations. We want to put in a pro-American government so we don't have to worry about them handing out nukes.

If any extremist muslim nation got their hands on nuclear weapons, our world could come to an end.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 01-21-2010 at 11:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
We do not need the massive military we have today. Of course we need some defense forces. But the size of the defense only has to be proportionate to the size of the threat. No major country in the world today wants to invade any other country, because of the MAD(mutually assured destruction) basis of nuclear weapons.

The only threat today is from terrorists or rogue nations possibly acquiring nuclear weapons, then sneaking into this country and detonating it in New York City or Washington DC.

The only way terrorists can get ahold of nuclear weapons, is if rogue nations that hate the USA provide them for them. That is why we constantly sanction and overthrow the governments of these nations. We want to put in a pro-American government so we don't have to worry about them handing out nukes.

If any extremist muslim nation got their hands on nuclear weapons, our could come to an end.

Ya, and we can all stand around in a circle, holding hands, singing Cumebya.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,589 times
It is better we fight it THERE than here...even if it is ONE Terrorist.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Why?

Old 01-22-2010, 03:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I am strictly against all things military. Its mere existence causes and maintains a never-ending spiral of violence because of the human psyche.

Last edited by Neuling; 01-22-2010 at 03:47 AM..

Old 01-22-2010, 03:34 AM

744 posts, read 1,209,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am strictly against all things military. It's mere existence causes and maintains a never-ending spiral of violence because of the human psyche.
I feel the exact oposite. I think having a military deters alot of violence. We need to have it to protect our country. Lately we have been the world's police force which I do not agree with. If we did not have a strong military then we would be sitting ducks for any other country or group that would want to do us harm.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
I know what you mean, but your thinking starts at a point when there already is a messy situation, it does not deal with the causes. It is like pumping medicine into a sick body instead of taking out the decease.
I think reason and enlightenment are the cure. But that is a much more difficult path that many people don't want to take. And frankly, there are people who are more afraid of peace than of war. The military is big business.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:36 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Is it possible that we could ever be in that position?

I went to grad school in SF with this woman who angrily told me that she would never put herself in a position where a crime could be perpetrated on her. I did not think much of her strategy, but it did give me some insight into the thinking of the far left. Or is that thinking just plain off the scale?

In any case, in a perfect world, we would need no military, no police, not judicial system at all because there would never be any conflict. I guess if everyone smoked enough dope, this could happen.
We won't need the military if the roaches inherit the earth. Until that day, we do, and always will.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
So lock our doors and toss away the key, instead of allowing "tourists" and immigration.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:27 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
And those bases are jointly operated with the Spanish Navy and the British Royal Navy.

Most of those islands are either official or de-facto US territories. Palau, Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands are really internally self governing autonomous regions and not independent nations per se. They still have US citizenship, they still have SS and Medicare, and we still control defense and foreign affairs. Guam, American Samoa, and the Northern Mariana Islands are direct US territories (read: colonies).
And why do we need to have colonies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies