Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
The main people who think we don't need a military, would the first ones screaming "Where are they?!!!", if we get invaded!!
Yeah, mainly for two reasons:

1. We have way more than enough troops to repel an invasion; and

2. We haven't, in fact, been "invaded" in any serious and lasting way since 1814. The 'invading' has all been done in the other direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:30 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
The main people who think we don't need a military, would the first ones screaming "Where are they?!!!", if we get invaded!!
You got that right. There will be a lot of virgins lost on that day and not all women.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
In this day and age, where the weapons of nations are far beyond swords and muskets, I would say yes, we need a military for self defense to ensure our survival as a nation.

Back just over a hundred years ago, however, and I think citizen's militias would have been perfectly adequate.

Now, that said, if we were ever invaded, it would certainly not be a cake walk for the invaders if they did defeat the military. Guerrilla warfare would continue for long after any "official" war was lost. After all, there are over ninety million gun owners in this country, that we know about. That alone is a deterrent for potential invaders.

Think about it. If they were ever able to overpower our military, it would be at great cost to life and limb. After suffering great loss of life, they would then have to convince the ninety million gun owners to accept their rule. It ain't happening. If I still had my guns, I wouldn't hesitate to fight an invader for my country. Sadly, they fell overboard during a storm at sea in international waters.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:21 AM

3 posts, read 1,707 times
Have another look and you will find that is something along the lines of:
EL SALVADOR
WASHINGTON DC
WORLD WAR II
DETROIT
IRAN
YUGOSLAVIA
URUGUAY
GREECE
GERMANY
CHINA
PHILIPPINES
PUERTO RICO
KOREA
IRAN
VIETNAM
GUATEMALA
EGYPT
LEBANON
IRAQ
CHINA
PANAMA
VIETNAM
CUBA
GERMANY
LAOS
CUBA
IRAQ
PANAMA
INDONESIA
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC
GUATEMALA
DETROIT
UNITED STATES
CAMBODIA
OMAN
LAOS
SOUTH DAKOTA
MIDEAST
CHILE
CAMBODIA
ANGOLA
IRAN
LIBYA
EL SALVADOR
NICARAGUA
LEBANON
GRENADA
HONDURAS
IRAN
LIBYA
BOLIVIA
IRAN
LIBYA
VIRGIN ISLANDS
PHILIPPINES
PANAMA
LIBERIA
SAUDI ARABIA
IRAQ
KUWAIT
IRAQ
LOS ANGELES
SOMALIA
YUGOSLAVIA
BOSNIA
HAITI
ZAIRE (CONGO)
LIBERIA
ALBANIA
SUDAN
AFGHANISTAN
IRAQ
YUGOSLAVIA
YEMEN
MACEDONIA
UNITED STATES
AFGHANISTAN
YEMEN
PHILIPPINES
COLOMBIA
IRAQ
LIBERIA
HAITI
PAKISTAN
SOMALIA
SYRIA
YEMEN

What about my last question; who do you think is likely to invade the US?

Old 01-25-2010, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 1,707 times
How about trying this on for size - they are sovereign territories - by that I mean to say they are the lands of other peoples and not those of the US, or indeed (if applicable) any other hegemony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies