Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,460,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
tinman

I have studied this issue about China vs Japan and S. v N Korea. these guys have some legit beefs with Japan. I started a Japan War Crimes Thread and some one just said the Japanese are the warmest kindest etc. Pile that on top of the Opium trade.

In short, it is as if I shot you in the behind and now I am asking why you can't walk straight like me.
Of course Japan and China have some serious historical issues with each other. WWII and the Rape of Nanking come to mind. I disagree with you, though, when you say that China has the right to invade Japan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 12:24 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,223,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Of course Japan and China have some serious historical issues with each other. WWII and the Rape of Nanking come to mind. I disagree with you, though, when you say that China has the right to invade Japan.
I stand corrected. Not the right.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,164,928 times
Getting back to the topic of the OP, yes, of course we need an army, there are folks out there who do in fact wish us harm. That being said, do we need an army that spans the globe and has a presence in 9 out of 10 of the world nations, no.

I challenge anyone to make a valid argument on how any other nation on this planet is capable of invading the United States or its legal territories. The need for our empire and specifically our military empire is to protect our, "interest" but today we lay claim to all things under the stars as being our interest and this will be the reason we end up bankrupt.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM

170 posts, read 476,447 times
Ask yourself, how many years on this earth has there been true peace?

After thinking about that, I believe we cannot live life without the Military

Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,781,654 times
Anybody who voted for the moron bush has no reason to complain about the state of the US you could see way, way before the 2000 selection how incompetent he was

Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,081,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I challenge anyone to make a valid argument on how any other nation on this planet is capable of invading the United States or its legal territories. The need for our empire and specifically our military empire is to protect our, "interest" but today we lay claim to all things under the stars as being our interest and this will be the reason we end up bankrupt.

Great point. Our discourse would benefit greatly if any politician who talks of using force to protect "our national interests" would then be forced to define what those interests actually are.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:38 PM

170 posts, read 476,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Anybody who voted for the moron bush has no reason to complain about the state of the US you could see way, way before the 2000 selection how incompetent he was

Hey hey! Lay off my dad.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM

1,845 posts, read 4,223,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Now how is this helpful?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,076,748 times
I think the US does indeed need a large military. For policing the world? Absolutely not. But I think we do need the baddest/sharpest and most advanced of all weapons in our arsenal.

I am in favor of always having the technological advantage.

The US is unmatched in single one-on-one combat. However, multiple enemies (countries) can pose risk, so I'd rather have the upper hand.

Additionally, the US is too large to want to only defend its own borders, BUT, we should NOT feel that we need the hundreds of US bases around the globe. We should lose the 'policing the world' mentality because as some of you stated, its not necessary and simply costs too much

Old 02-05-2008, 01:08 PM

365 posts, read 697,917 times
we need the military, but not if we're gonna fill it up with more criminals and gang leaders...the lowering of criteria for enlisted peeps bounces around like I never saw, I dont want a draft either, not for a war that isnt for us.....so who thats running is gonna dodge these issues more and more while the beat goes on and on and on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies