Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 05:16 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times

Advertisements

BLM isn't responsible for any looting in Baltimore or Ferguson.

Google Black Lives Matter and you will find their website with information about their agenda as well as their accomplishments.

Do not believe what you hear or read from the newsmedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 05:19 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Private law enforcement systems do not guarantee an end to corruption.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...era-cash.shtml

And that's not the advantage of privatization. The advantage is that you can fire them. I'd you felt they were corrupt or inefficient, then you can just choose to replace them with a competitor. You're not stuck with them.

That's the difference.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
BLM isn't responsible for any looting in Baltimore or Ferguson.

Google Black Lives Matter and you will find their website with information about their agenda as well as their accomplishments.

Do not believe what you hear or read from the newsmedia.

You missed the point. Unless you're not responding to the OP

Old 12-30-2015, 05:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
And that's not the advantage of privatization. The advantage is that you can fire them. I'd you felt they were corrupt or inefficient, then you can just choose to replace them with a competitor. You're not stuck with them.

That's the difference.
Public police officers can be fired. The mentally incompetent one in the middle of the Tamir Rice debacle was on his way out the door when he decided to quickly resign instead.

The problem is they are defended by their fellow officers no matter what in too many cases. There is no reason to believe a private system would be any different for many of the same reasons.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Public police officers can be fired. The mentally incompetent one in the middle of the Tamir Rice debacle was on his way out the door when he decided to quickly resign instead.

The problem is they are defended by their fellow officers no matter what in too many cases. There is no reason to believe a private system would be any different for many of the same reasons.

Firing individual police officers mean nothing. If corruption is in the police force, it's systematic and cultural. So getting rid of one or 2 don't really solve the fundamental problem.
The issue is the institution itself. Not the people who happen to be apart of it. This is why the solution is just get rid of the police force altogether and privatize it.

Change can be seen immediately.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:30 PM

552 posts, read 313,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Who do you call when your house is being broken into? Al Sharpton?
Who do you call when you are black and have broken into someone else's house? Jesse Jackson.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Firing individual police officers mean nothing. If corruption is in the police force, it's systematic and cultural. So getting rid of one or 2 don't really solve the fundamental problem.
The issue is the institution itself. Not the people who happen to be apart of it. This is why the solution is just get rid of the police force altogether and privatize it.

Change can be seen immediately.
I've already shown where privatization does not guarantee that corruption will go away.

https://www.rt.com/shows/sophieco/26...es-corruption/

How many do you want?

Old 12-30-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I've already shown where privatization does not guarantee that corruption will go away.

https://www.rt.com/shows/sophieco/26...es-corruption/

How many do you want?

And you missed my point when I said the advantage of privatization is choice. You don't have to deal with it.

With the public police force you're stuck with that police force and their policies. You can't really shop around and see what is best for you. You just hope that maybe they'll do something in your interest.
But that's not effective.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Okay, here goes. I hope I'm being respectful in everything that I say.

First, I want to make it clear that I have tremendous respect for activism. Without activism, the status quo would rarely be challenged, injustices would rarely be addressed, and humanity would have a tough time advancing. Activists have made numerous personal sacrifices to address social justice and to truly make the world a better place. I greatly respect and admire those who give up peace, security, and comfort to fight for those who are suffering in order to make a difference.

That being said, activists are people. And you know how people are. They're whiny, think that they're always right, like being in charge, having power, having accolades, and that sort of thing. Activists are no exception to this.

Another thing about activism is that it must stay relevant. Basically, activism never ends, even after major victories are won. Activists must always keeping fighting until... well... until all injustices are gone. Which is obviously never happening, given what we know about the nature of people.

Changing gears a bit, there is still a ton of stuff that needs to be done to improve race relations and for blacks and other minorities of other kinds to not be treated like second-class citizens. Nevertheless, though, I think we've reached the point that most white people in this country believe that a black person who works hard enough should have opportunities for success. They might hold prejudices that force black people to work even harder than a white person would, but they don't think that being black should stop you from being successful. After all, Obama was elected - twice. Most Republicans, who supposedly are tagged as being racist, had no problems supporting Herman Cain or Ben Carson.

The thing is - most people believe that working hard will get you ahead. Despite what you hear on this site, most black people believe it too - and it's been working. The number of black people getting college degrees is the highest that it's ever been. This is enabling more black people to join the middle class and get ahead in the world.

If you're an activist, though, the "work hard, stay out of trouble, and get ahead" message is kind of threatening though. It minimizes the racial aspect and maximizes a personal choice aspect. Because of this, the activist message becomes less relevant. So in order to maintain relevance, what do they need to do? They need to make race become the focus again. I think most people know that a black criminal is much more likely to have trouble with the police than a black law-abiding citizen would. But since due to ever-present racial biases and attitudes that we have, black criminals have it worse than white criminals, and black law-abiding citizens have it worse than white law-abiding citizens. So those differences can be exploited, particularly in the cases where clearly the victim did nothing wrong.

(As a side note: I see this happening in the LGBT community as well. The radical types seem threatened by the recent multitudes who are coming out and leading boring, typical lives surrounded by mostly straight people. They were unhappy when same-sex marriage was made legal for crying out loud!)

So Black Lives Matter, while addressing extremely important points and clearly bringing to everybody's attention the humanity of everyone, including black criminals, is also trying to make racial issues relevant. How successful they will be in doing so, and whether people - black, white, or other minorities, will support them, remains to be seen.
Brilliant analysis

If this could be reduced to sound-bytes and delivered with charisma... a skilled politician could make a career out of the viewpoint you're describing here.

A friend of mine is F to M trans, and has spoken about this kind of thing in different terms. His point is that activism is important and necessary, but responsible personal choices matter even more in the long run.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:56 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
you think police like white people too. they ego is so far up their butt, police dont like anybody, black, white whatever. they have to be in control at all time, even if you just asking for direction. I find the best way too deal with police, dont talk to them, dont look at them, especially in the eyes, they are like a rabid dog, the police are not your friend
Been locked up recently?

That can only explain the above statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies