Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 05:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I am a liberal in most issues I also served in the military, graduated ranger school, I been deployed in combat I am not what you would call anti gun, I do not want to ban guns, but it strikes me as a good idea that everyone that buys a gun should have a background check, what is the argument against that, provided the government figures out a way that private citizens can do one at no cost, other than slippery slope arguments.

The right of the people, shall not be infringed.... Except when.

I do not read, "if" or "maybe" in there.

The 2nd amendment clearly says the right of the people. Define people.

It does not say, at 18 yo they get to keep and bear arms. It does not define which arms they get to keep & bear. It does say, we have the right to have, make, store, distribute, sell, and carry what ever defensive arm we need for the defense of liberty and no man shall deny that ability.... Or they die by the very right the 2nd amendment declares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 05:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Although we have made progress we still have the highest gun homicide rate of any civilized country, not just attributing that to guns but we do have some very relaxed laws,
But not near the highest homicide rates.
We are more humane society than others.

If you had the choice, would you take one .38 to the temple, or a steak knife to the temple, or into your neck at the adams apple?

Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
What America doesn't know is that there is no way to enforce background checks on private transfers.
This will be meaningless.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:00 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Citation of your statistics if you can. Yes, many do support background checks, and many claim that they are needless as there already are sufficient background checks. You know, the laws that we already have that Obama refuses to enforce.

What gun laws does Obama refuse to enforce.

"While the issue of gun control remains divisive, there are clear areas of agreement when it comes to a number of gun policy proposals. Fully 85% of Americans favor making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks, with comparable support from Republicans, Democrats and independents."

Most Support Background Checks for Gun Purchases | Pew Research Center

Old 01-02-2016, 06:03 PM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But not near the highest homicide rates.
We are more humane society than others.

If you had the choice, would you take one .38 to the temple, or a steak knife to the temple, or into your neck at the adams apple?
We are pretty close in both, you're splitting hairs.

I will always take my chances with a knife rather than a gun.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:52 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
What gun laws does Obama refuse to enforce.

"While the issue of gun control remains divisive, there are clear areas of agreement when it comes to a number of gun policy proposals. Fully 85% of Americans favor making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks, with comparable support from Republicans, Democrats and independents."

Most Support Background Checks for Gun Purchases | Pew Research Center
This administration doesn't even enforce the law when people fraudulently lie on the background check paperwork.
What makes anyone think it would be different on private transfer background checks. AKA....the gun show loophole.

VP: We 'don't have the time' to charge background check lies | The Daily Caller

In all, prosecutors pursued just 44 cases. More than 72,600 applications were denied on the basis of a background check.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Not if your child has grown up with them around all the time, like they have the gas stove.

I say your not a responsible American, for not teaching your kids about their rights at a very young age. They turn 18 get their own gun and have no clue it is not a toy.
It is idiotic not to teach your kids their full constitutional rights. Not just the ones you want them to have.
Because at 18, they get them all.

The right of the people, to keep and bear arms.
Define, PEOPLE. Because I see no age requirement.
Gun, gas stove. Ya, totally comparable.

My 10 year old could tell you more about how the American government works and the world than most kids her age because when she asks a question I give her an honest answer. She was also raised around guns but we made sure she knows the difference between a weapon and a toy. Toys can go in a bedroom. Storing a firearm in a child's bedroom is irresponsible. Even if your kid knows about firearms not all their friends do.

Old 01-02-2016, 07:14 PM

285 posts, read 176,808 times
Quote:
Although we have made progress we still have the highest gun homicide rate of any civilized country, not just attributing that to guns but we do have some very relaxed laws,
I came across this yesterday. It's quite striking.

BBC News: Obama to take unilateral action on US gun violence

Old 01-02-2016, 07:18 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Many of them have been. In fact he has had more EOs overruled by the courts than any other President. In many cases the Scotus is 9-0 against Obama.
Are you counting partial strike downs? Because the SCOTUS have found problems with "parts" of certain EOs. To me it seems the system is working like it's supposed to. What's your issue?

Old 01-02-2016, 07:20 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Not enforcing the oath that he took prior to taking office? Swearing to uphold the laws of the nation? Violating that oath is certainly an impeachable offense.
When RW opinion meets reality these types of ideas emerge... Your opinion would be believable if Obama was actually impeached...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies