Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:29 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The "gun control rights" of people who should never be allowed to own one IS the tragedy.

We make people take classes and then pass a test to drive a car, and then make them renew that license every few years. But we let anyone with enough money buy a gun, no training necessary, no need to demonstrate that they have even the most basic understanding for how to handle one. And we are not allowed to even bring up the idea of requiring training. So we will continue to have stories like the OP, as well as stories like this:

Family member cleaning gun accidentally shoots 2-year-old girl in Oregon | Q13 FOX News

Connecticut man shoots son dead after mistaking him for an intruder | New York Post

5-year-old Kentucky boy fatally shoots 2-year-old sister - CNN.com

Toddler reaches into purse and gun goes off, killing mom

It goes on and on and on. Can we at the very least admit that some people are simply not intelligent enough to own a deadly weapon? Probably not. Even the really stupid have that "right" in the U.S.
Well said. I'm all for gun ownership but this is another example of people having guns who shouldn't have.

FL is very lax state on so many things, this is one of them.

People move there who never owned a gun in their life but the culture there makes it seem like it's a good idea to have one. They walk around like they're Wyatt Earp, no training and ready to shoot at a moment's notice. It's like the Wild West.

Having lived there, you learn quickly not to engage with other drivers even when they cut you off, you have no idea who is packing. They can kill you and just say you threatened them and they're good to go.

I lost track of the number of deadly shootings over a parking space, or neighbors having a dispute over a fence or a dog using their lawn as a toilet, bizarre place.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:34 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I wonder how many households in the US who have suffered the terrible loss of family, neighbors or friends from "accidental" shootings, still feel and maintain the right to keep guns in their houses? I think NOT!

In other words, in hindsight, if they could go back to the day before those shootings, they wouldn't own a gun.

I want you to REALLY think about this...
Would YOU still keep a gun in your house if your 4 year old daughter had shot and killed your 2 year old son?
Would YOU still keep a gun in your house if your child had shot and killed the kid next door?
Would YOU still have a gun in the house if your wife had killed YOUR daughter or son?
Would YOU still want a gun in your house if you'd shot your OWN wife?
Would YOU still want a gun in your house if your son had gone to school and shot up a bunch of his classmates?

If you can answer yes, then it would astound me.
Anyone who choses to keep a firearm in their home needs to strictly follow safe storage and handling practices. That means keeping your weapon under control at all times so that no unauthorized person can ever access it. You should undergo appropriate training and keep your proficiency updated. In my opinion, you should also alert friends and family members that you are armed and tell them that if they intend to enter your home they should call ahead or be prepared to immediately identify themselves.

As long as you follow the rules and are of sound mind and are not paranoid or a hothead, I don't see a problem.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Why don't people just have home alarm systems? It's certainly not a huge expense.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:46 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAGeek View Post
This is apparently no longer the case. In the USA, guns now kill as many people as cars. Many expect gun deaths to far exceed car deaths within 5-10 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rs-in-the-u-s/
Only because automobile deaths have dropped off sharply since the 50's, not because gun deaths have increased a significant amount. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...and-solutions/

I can expect to win the lottery, doesn't mean it will happen.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:50 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Why don't people just have home alarm systems? It's certainly not a huge expense.
That would be one part of home security, not a complete solution.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 AM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly.

I'm not anti gun, but this is hardly an 'accident.'

While not murder, the mother seemingly reached for her weapon and didn't make an attempt to assess the situation by identifying the 'intruder,' instead just shooting away.

It does merit IMO a police investigation.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:58 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
That is unfair and implies that Canada is totally dependent on the United State and does not "pull their weight." Proportionate to their population, Canada pulls a lot of weight and has made welcome and lethal contributions in a variety of conflicts. That includes the D-Day landings and Afghanistan. In the case of Afghanistan, some of the first casualties were Canadian troops- killed by a US pilot who ignored orders and made a very dumb attack.
You're wasting your breath on these types. Canada has actually come to the aid of America and Americans at risk to their own personal safety in some cases many times . Canada has often been among the first responders to natural disasters in America.

We're still waiting for the first example of the reverse ever happening. They're all bluster and no buffalo.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:04 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
So mom was a 911 dispatcher, and dad was LEO. And they probably both had guns in/on their nightstands.

Given the mom's profession, she is conditioned to be overly fearful (as she spends her days getting phone calls from people who are actually getting attacked). So she hears someone enter the home, is half-asleep, and without thinking, fires off a shot.

I would like to know what room this happened in. Was mom still in bed? If so, why was 27yo daughter coming into their bedroom? If mom wasn't in bed, how far did she walk before shooting her gun?

Old 01-01-2016, 11:18 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Simple. It's not 'cool' or 'fun' or 'badass'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
That would be one part of home security, not a complete solution.
Red herring - nothing is a complete solution. You can simply add layers to defense to improve it - but you'll never complete it.

Here's an example: body armor.

After all, you won't always take down the bad guy with your first shot. What then? Or maybe he shoots first. What then? Body armor would improve your survivability. It wouldn't ensure it, because you're not completely protected, but then nothing is the perfect defense.

So why are millions of civilians packing a firearm, but virtually none of them are packing body armor?

Like I said above, it's not 'cool' or 'fun' or 'badass'. The .45 on the hip? Swagger time! Puff out that chest! Walk into the convenience store hoping something goes down, just so that piece can be whipped out and used to take down bad guys! But body armor? Yawn. Boring. Not fun at all.

Kevlar ain't sexy, but the Desert Eagle is. That's all there is to it.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It does merit IMO a police investigation.
It does, but considering where it happened and what the parents did for a living it won't. It will be just a "tragic accident".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
So mom was a 911 dispatcher, and dad was LEO. And they probably both had guns in/on their nightstands.

Given the mom's profession, she is conditioned to be overly fearful (as she spends her days getting phone calls from people who are actually getting attacked). So she hears someone enter the home, is half-asleep, and without thinking, fires off a shot.

I would like to know what room this happened in. Was mom still in bed? If so, why was 27yo daughter coming into their bedroom? If mom wasn't in bed, how far did she walk before shooting her gun?
How about when your adult child is staying with you, you might think the person coming into the house is said child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies