Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:38 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,875,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I thought I had read yesterday that she lived there. She was just residing there during her visit.

Florida mother shoots and killed daughter she mistook for intruder | Fox News
Sorry I was only reading the CNN story from the OP, You are correct, this was a tragic negligent mistake on the part of the mother, She should have verified her target before pulling the trigger.
The Mother,Father, and daughter should have discussed in advance household security, turn on a light, say hello or something before coming into a bedroom, don't sneak into the house late at night, call ahead and let someone known if you will be coming home late.
I've had this discussion with my teenage son.

bill

Old 01-01-2016, 09:39 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,710,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here is a radical thought.................

Why didn't Mom yell out......who is there ??

Any intelligent daughter would have said......It's me Mum.

Is that too simple ?

Jim B.

It happened in the "dumbshine" state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Try re-reading the story, It makes no mention of the daughter living there.

bill
Did you read the article? It said the daughter was visiting the parents in FL from NC. So she was staying with them.

What kind of moron starts shooting when they know their adult child is visiting and staying in their home?

I'm not surprised it happened in Floriduh. It's the land of "shoot first, ask questions later".

Old 01-01-2016, 09:46 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,875,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It happened in the "dumbshine" state.

Did you read the article? It said the daughter was visiting the parents in FL from NC. So she was staying with them.

What kind of moron starts shooting when they know their adult child is visiting and staying in their home?

I'm not surprised it happened in Floriduh. It's the land of "shoot first, ask questions later".
The story linked by the OP does not mention the daughter living there or visiting.
I should have known better than to trust anything from CNN.

bill

Old 01-01-2016, 09:47 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,865,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

The same kind of moron that tries to blame the daughter for being killed by the mother she was staying with?

It's fascinating - the same crowd of people who are so emotionally vested in the idea of homeowners using lethal force against intruders want zero accountability whatsoever for those homeowners who recklessly screw up and kill innocent people...

Old 01-01-2016, 09:49 AM

7,995 posts, read 5,421,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
No different then someone slipping in a shower ending up dead.
Mother picks up gun and shoots daughter because she thinks she is an intruder. Daughter slips in shower and dies.
I think it is a bit different. Just saying...

Old 01-01-2016, 09:52 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,610,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Something about this whole story smells a little funny, Does the 27 year old daughter live in the house? Or was she there to maybe sneak a few pills from her moms prescriptions? or "borrow" a $20 from her purse without asking? I've got a feeling there is a lot more to this story than we will be told.
Did mom accidentally shoot her daughter thinking it was an intruder? Or did mom really shoot a thieving intruder, then find out it was her daughter?

bill
Once again, twisting yourself into a pretzel to excuse a murder by another 'responsible' gun owner.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:01 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,710,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Mother picks up gun and shoots daughter because she thinks she is an intruder. Daughter slips in shower and dies.
I think it is a bit different. Just saying...
It's more than a bit different. One you die because of your own doing. The other due to someone else being stupid.

No charges since it is FL will be filed. You can shoot someone in that state if they look at you cross eyed. You just say you felt threatened.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,118,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
This thread is about this tragedy. Not gun-control/gun rights.
The "gun control rights" of people who should never be allowed to own one IS the tragedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly.

I'm not anti gun, but this is hardly an 'accident.'

While not murder, the mother seemingly reached for her weapon and didn't make an attempt to assess the situation by identifying the 'intruder,' instead just shooting away.
We make people take classes and then pass a test to drive a car, and then make them renew that license every few years. But we let anyone with enough money buy a gun, no training necessary, no need to demonstrate that they have even the most basic understanding for how to handle one. And we are not allowed to even bring up the idea of requiring training. So we will continue to have stories like the OP, as well as stories like this:

Family member cleaning gun accidentally shoots 2-year-old girl in Oregon | Q13 FOX News

Connecticut man shoots son dead after mistaking him for an intruder | New York Post

http://5-year-old Kentucky boy fatal...ear-old sister

http://father-shoots-kills-14-year-d...stook-burglar/

Toddler reaches into purse and gun goes off, killing mom

It goes on and on and on. Can we at the very least admit that some people are simply not intelligent enough to own a deadly weapon? Probably not. Even the really stupid have that "right" in the U.S.

Last edited by JAMS14; 01-01-2016 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 AM

51,694 posts, read 25,974,175 times
Mother kills her own daughter thinking she's an intruder.

Husband opens fire on SWAT team that enters house by mistake. SWAT team returns fire and wife is killed.

Toddler pulls gun out of purse and kills woman in grocery store.

Pregnant woman is killed by doofus showing off with a gun.

It's a national nightmare.

If they only shot each other it would be one thing. Darwin theory at work.

But the rest of us are caught in their cross fire.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:20 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,556,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

I find it weird and disturbing that citizens from other nations don't pine for the freedom to defend oneself from others. Crime happens everywhere. Don't tell me that when you have sleeping children and a wife that you are responsible for that you REALLY wouldn't rather have a gun to defend them with in the case of a few criminals intruding in the middle of the night.

We, as humans, have the same right to defend ourselves and our loved ones as any animal on the planet.
You're joking right? You must be.

No one would pine for that dumbazz amendment that has resulted in so many firearms being out there in god only knows what kind of hands so as to convince a significant number of you to be frightened enough in your daily existence to arm yourselves in defence of who again....why your fellow citizens of course.

Yeppers, killing each other at the rate of over 50 per day is sure a gosh-darn good thing for other nations to pine for alrighty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies