Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oahulife View Post
Huh? So the major wealth and income separation in our country is because of bad choices?
Very frequently, yes. As others have already noted, there are people who've escaped oppressive foreign regimes, came to the U.S. with nothing but the clothes on their backs, worked hard, sacrificed, lived below their means, and consequently have done quite well for themselves. And there are those born into wealth who blow it like the affluenza teen. Both results are the consequences of choices that were made by the people involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times
It's just not wise to keep money in a bank for several reasons. Withdraw too much and it tattles on you. Deposit too much and it tattles on you. Who needs the hassle/ scrutiny? If the IRS makes a mistake and thinks you owe it, the bank simply hands it over to them with no questions asked.
And if there is ever a bank run you'll lose your shorts.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:07 AM

88,964 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
While my mom was in the process of dying, I had no time for housework for months. I had to get some help In my neighborhood, the rate is $125 per cleaning. Everybody who has a cleaning lady pays 125. It took 3-5 hours. They may not work full days.

They also manage their income so they can prove less than the amount required on the reduced and free lunch forms. Most are not married, but the father lives in the household. His income is not reported. This father earned enough to purchase a house. He got deported, so she lost the house. Within two years, he was back and they bought another house. I learned there are mortgage brokers who specialize in getting mortgages for low income, off the books buyers.

Between the folks working off the books, the thieves and dope dealers, IMO, we have a vast underground economy.
That's exactly why we should have a VAT tax, 20-25% like European and Scandinavian countries. That way, EVERYONE pays, even those who work off the books or earn their living doing illegal things.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
For me it indicates that the American dream is basically dead or am I wrong. Also who do you blame government polices, the irresponsiblity of the American people or both.

Most Americans have less than $1,000 in savings - MarketWatch
It is an indication of how desperately we need to remove lots of government and regulations from our lives so we can prosper.
Decades of this BS is how we are getting a successful candidate Trump.

Obama created the grass roots Tea Party conservatives actively voting and Obama and establishment do nothing Republicans have most certainly given us Trump.

Obama doubled the national debt of the country's over 200 years history in just his self righteous term alone.

Zero interest rates have destroyed savings and retirements and they are zero so the country pays nothing on the national debt. The government enables itself and has caused tons of retirees to burn through savings and go on welfare or live on SS alone.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
While my mom was in the process of dying, I had no time for housework for months. I had to get some help In my neighborhood, the rate is $125 per cleaning. Everybody who has a cleaning lady pays 125. It took 3-5 hours. They may not work full days.

They also manage their income so they can prove less than the amount required on the reduced and free lunch forms. Most are not married, but the father lives in the household. His income is not reported. This father earned enough to purchase a house. He got deported, so she lost the house. Within two years, he was back and they bought another house. I learned there are mortgage brokers who specialize in getting mortgages for low income, off the books buyers.

Between the folks working off the books, the thieves and dope dealers, IMO, we have a vast underground economy.
It was estimated that the underground economy in the US generated about $2 trillion dollars.
This was back in 2013.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:32 AM

15 posts, read 36,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
A major part of the problem is that the poor are over-reproducing. No one to blame for that but themselves.

Women receiving public assistance, as a group, have a birth rate 3 times higher than women who don't receive public assistance. That, in itself has led to the additional problem of nearly half of all U.S. births being paid for by Medicaid. 70% of those kids will never rise out of poverty, even as adults.

//www.city-data.com/forum/32045595-post217.html

Medicaid Pays For Nearly Half of All Births in the United States | publichealth.gwu.edu

Only 30% of those born poor ever make it out of poverty

Who thinks supporting all those additional poor people (Medicaid, SNAP, public housing, etc., etc.) that are added to our population every year is sustainable, or even possible at all?

The poor won't even help themselves by not over-reproducing. It's hard to feel sorry for people who create their own hardships.
But the fact that so few have so much of the resources in our world has nothing to do with the issue? No the problem is the high birthrate among poor people? Hmm interesting logic ok.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:48 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
You are thinking like an establishment white guy.

There are cultures where the women tend to the finances. They form small groups and save with and invest in each other. There are families who spend all they have getting the first kid through school. That kid in turn, gets the next one through, yada, yada. The finance their own houses.
They may not be Wharton MBAs, but they know enough to tend to themselves.

I know a family of 14 brothers who came from Mexico. The youngest went to Community college. They own a construction company and a HVAC company. They do mostly government work. Low income housing for the city, HVAC work for those who manage low income utility subsidies. They invested in and built a 2 1/2 million dollar private soccer park a couple of years ago.

Like has been pointed out, perhaps by you, who puts money in a savings account?
Nah. I'll stick to it. Hordes of foreign-born "cleaning ladies" taking home $65K a year doesn't jive with me.

I'm not even reading or responding to the rest of your soliloquy.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 AM

15 posts, read 36,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Very frequently, yes. As others have already noted, there are people who've escaped oppressive foreign regimes, came to the U.S. with nothing but the clothes on their backs, worked hard, sacrificed, lived below their means, and consequently have done quite well for themselves. And there are those born into wealth who blow it like the affluenza teen. Both results are the consequences of choices that were made by the people involved.
No your missing the point. Sure there are a lot of successes I agree. But there are a ton of people who are doing the exact same thing and are not successful. For every immigrant who makes it big in America there are 100 to 1000 standing on street corners accepting under the table work. The point I'm trying to make is our capitalism model of society can't support a huge upper class. If it could You would see more of our population in the top 10% etc. It's great to have positive thinking and have a super attitude that anyone can be filthy rich etc if they just made good choices and didn't reproduce or drink etc. But reality says millions train for marathons but only thousands finish and only one wins.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It's just not wise to keep money in a bank for several reasons. Withdraw too much and it tattles on you. Deposit too much and it tattles on you. Who needs the hassle/ scrutiny? If the IRS makes a mistake and thinks you owe it, the bank simply hands it over to them with no questions asked.
And if there is ever a bank run you'll lose your shorts.
As I noted on page 1: easy access by crooks (aka the government). It's the 2nd danger of a savings account.

If you're going to sit on your money like a mother hen instead of having it work for you (though why is beyond me) do like the depression era folks did: put your greenbacks under mattresses, inside walls, buried in flower beds, etc.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It was estimated that the underground economy in the US generated about $2 trillion dollars.
This was back in 2013.
"Underground Economy": Business transactions where theft is not part of the equation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies